× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Chromecast and Google Nest Audio Devices lose connection after awhile on new RAX50S WiFi 6 Router

Natedog42
Aspirant

Chromecast and Google Nest Audio Devices lose connection after awhile on new RAX50S WiFi 6 Router

Hi Everyone,

I just got new gigabit fiber internet service to my home.  I purchased the RAX50S Nighthawk Router, and set up was a breeze. (Note this model was not in the drop-down to select the model for this post).  I have three Google Nest Audio devices, and two Chromecast devices on two different TVs.  I reconfigured all the devices over to the new WiFi network on the new router, and I was able to connect to all the devices via Google Home for a day or two.  But then, my phone could no longer see any of the audio or chromecast devices, saying I have to be on the same WiFi network.  I checked my phone and each device to ensure they were on the save Wifi (2.0 Mhz).  I reset the Chromecasts and my phone, turned off my phone WiFi multiple times, and reconnected to the same WiFi network, and I could still not cast anything to the Chromecast devices.  The ONLY fix so far has been REBOOTING the router, and then I can connect for about less than a day. I lose all ability to cast after 8 to 12 hours.

I turned off "Armor Now" security on the router with the Nighthawk App, and that changed nothing.  I have not set up these devices on any of my kids' profiles, so parental controls are not preventing connectivity.

What am I missing here??

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nathan

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Chromecast and Google Nest Audio Devices lose connection after awhile on new RAX50S WiFi 6 Route

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is Smart Connect enabled on the router?

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 4
Natedog42
Aspirant

Re: Chromecast and Google Nest Audio Devices lose connection after awhile on new RAX50S WiFi 6 Route

My responses in bold below!

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Firmware version, which was just installed when I set it up, is: v1.0.5.106
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

The ISP did not provide a modem.  The WAN comes right out of their Fiber box into my Nighthawk.  If the "ONT" is the box on the wall, I would have to get Mfr and Model # of it.  I have no idea.  I'll get it if you think this is pertinent.

No, because I didn't want my Chromecast or phone to jump back and forth from 2.4 Mhz to 5.  My phone and all chromecast devices are all set on the 2.4 frequency wifi, and my phone communicates/casts just fine after a reboot to the chromecast devices.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

Currently using Channel 4, which the app indicates is the best, with only one other WiFi network showing using this channel. I cannot see a way within the Nighthawk App, however, to control any of this....

I see only two other WiFi networks from my neighbors, with half or less signal strength.  I'm in a detached single-family home with about 100 ft. of distance to nearest neighbors.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Message 3 of 4
Natedog42
Aspirant

I was able to pop the modem off the wall, and here's the info:

" Fiber loco "

M/N: UF-LOCO

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7