× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Drop connection

DearGeo
Tutor

Drop connection

RAX200 Nighthawk keeps dropping wired connection. I have narrowed it down to my router. I have soft and hard reset, rebooted modem and yet it doesn’t work. Firmware is up to date. I thought it was my ISP Xfinity, but it also happens with my new Frontier FiberOptic connection. I have even brought my router and Xbox to my friends house and connected it after a reset to his Optimum ISP, and it continues to drop wired connection with his Xbox. I tried my Xbox with his router and no issues. So it’s my router. Now what?
Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Drop connection

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Is it only xbox game console dropping the wire connection or do other wired devices drop the connection as well? 

Message 2 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

Netgear CM1150v. - which I stopped using after I got Frontier FiberOptic - which doesn’t need a modem and plugs in from the FiberOptic switch box to RG45 on the back of my router. And even kind of service it doesn’t work. It keeps dropping wired connection. And with FiberOptic there’s no drop signal. Unless there’s an outage or accident that snaps a pole.
My router gets 950 Mbps download and 975 Mbps upload with a ping of 2 ms. So it’s not mine if the ISP I have already mentioned. It’s the router.
Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 3 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

Netgear CM1150v. - which I stopped using after I got Frontier FiberOptic - which doesn’t need a modem and plugs in from the FiberOptic switch box to RG45 on the back of my router.
Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Is it only xbox game console dropping the wire connection or do other wired devices drop the connection as well? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? Power OFF the ISP ONT as well for 1 minute then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard. I would avoid enabling Armor, Access controls or Traffic Meter. 

Ensure yoru using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended. 

Try the Router at a different location with a different ISP. Friend, family or nighbor to see if the problem follows. If it does, or doesn't, then you'll know. 

Message 5 of 28

@DearGeo wrote:
Netgear CM1150v.

@FURRYe38 asked you what modem you ARE using.

As you should have discovered by now from your earlier misplaced posts in the section for gaming routers, there is no point in providing details that are not relevant. That just confuses people.

Checking the Frontier FiberOptic support section, it seems to have various connection options. With and without MoCA, for example.

FiberOptic Internet and TV Installation Guide | Frontier.com

Every RJ45  "hole in the wall" plugs into something. It isn't always just a socket.

Message 6 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

Is it only xbox game console dropping the wire connection or do other wired devices drop the connection as well? EVERYTHING DROPS

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? Power OFF the ISP ONT as well for 1 minute then back on. Walk thru the setup wizard. I would avoid enabling Armor, Access controls or Traffic Meter.

FACTORY RESET DONE ABOUT 15 times since I bought the house LAST YEAR October 17,2020. My ISP has been reset by the provider and the Modem Netgear 1150v. I don’t use ARMOR OR Traffic Meter

Ensure yoru using good quality LAN cables. CAT6 is recommended.

Try the Router at a different location with a different ISP. Friend, family or nighbor to see if the problem follows. If it does, or doesn't, then you'll know.

I another post I placed - I actually did that. I hard reset and started fresh and the only thing plug to the router was my friend Xbox and sure enough it did it too. I plugged my Xbox to his ISP, and nothing happened. We played for a few hours and nothing happen. I took his Xbox to my house and without a hiccup. I had no issues. He kept my Xbox and he also had no hiccup.
Message 7 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded? 

Try loading up very first version of FW and see if "everything drops". 

If it continues, please contact NG support and let them know about what your seeing. Ask them about your RMA options. 

@DarrenM 

@Altsai 

Message 9 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

I updated the routers firmware because I was having said issue. So I went from the previous firmware to the most recent one, filmware Version V1.0.5.132_1.0.69
Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Try loading up very first version of FW and see if "everything drops". 

Message 11 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

How do I do that? And with all the network hacking is that even advisable?
Message 12 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Download the FW file from NG support site.

Just to see if the problem continues. IF it does then you'll know.

Message 13 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

Don’t know if you read up before, I had the older firmware, and it was doing it. So I upgraded and it was still doing it, matter of fact I’ve updated I think twice now. I already know it didn’t work then, or prior and now.
Message 14 of 28
RoundPeg
Aspirant

Just bought this router… was absolutely thrilled with it out of the box... Wi-Fi speeds and range. Sweet!

A few hours later not so thrilled with drops, restarts and general intermittent impedance.

Checked firmware for any updates. All up to date. OK – makes sense, it updated on initial install.

Logs indicate numerous DoS attacks from legit IP’s that I suspect are causing the restarts. Long explanation on that. Too disgusted to get into it.

Searched web for insight for like issues from other users (last stop - here). Huh… numerous. Ok, so maybe there’s a remedy.

Downgrade firmware in steps until the issues are within tolerance.. WTF? No!

Restart, better yet - hard reset the damn thing at least 20 times. Surely that will fix it. Nope. And again, WTF?

Change one setting or 8… experiment, have fun with it. Eff that, I change settings to increase performance for my particular use, not to make it work.

Your ISP’s modem sucks, or maybe they just suck in generral. No, it was fine with the Synology router I only phased out 3 days ago because no Wi-Fi 6 forthcoming.

Maybe you suck. OK, up for discussion I guess, but not really relative to this issue.

I see that some folks have no issues at all. Great.

For me, this thing is a POS that I now need to return… boxing.

End of story. Don’t wait so long your return window closes.

Message 15 of 28

There is a lot going on in that message, not helped by the fact that you have hitched a ride on the end of a continuing conversation about fixing problems for someone else.

If you want help sorting out your own router, then I recommend starting a fresh conversation.

I'll just stick with answering this bit.

@RoundPeg wrote:

Logs indicate numerous DoS attacks from legit IP’s that I suspect are causing the restarts. Long explanation on that. Too disgusted to get into it.

Searched web for insight for like issues from other users (last stop - here). Huh… numerous. Ok, so maybe there’s a remedy.

Downgrade firmware in steps until the issues are within tolerance.. WTF? No!

Your research around here did not track down the well known stuff on those fake DoS attacks.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

In essence, it has nothing to do with firmware.

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing. 

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP. Maybe that is what you did. I just throw that in for completeness.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

In other words, they are nothing to worry about.

However, if these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs.

Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

Just one other point from your long screed.

Checked firmware for any updates. All up to date. OK – makes sense, it updated on initial install.

Without knowing how you checked for updates, we have no idea if you really have the latest. The only way to know is to tell the firmware version on your device.

That is because there are several ways of checking for new firmware. Not all of them are as reliable or up to date as they might be. The best option is to visit the support pages for the router and loom at the list of releases there. Then, if there is something newer than you already have,  perform a manual update.

Message 16 of 28
RoundPeg
Aspirant

Yeah, I had several tabs open, meant to post to another page. Didn't see a way to delete it. 

Now that that's worked out... you are babbling. Are you actually here to help folks work out their router issues?

" numerous DoS attacks from legit IP’s "...  means Yes, I know they are bogus, thus the work "legit". I don't think that fastly.com is trying to hack little ol me.

That tripe about firmware sounds exactly like something some dolt in customer support would say.

This thread is non-sense and useless. Yes, I posted here by accident. What's your excuse?

Message 17 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

IF it's been doing it regardless of FW version, probably your unit is faulty. If you have the option to return it to place of purchase, do so. If not, try contact NG support to see what your options are. 

@DearGeo wrote:
Don’t know if you read up before, I had the older firmware, and it was doing it. So I upgraded and it was still doing it, matter of fact I’ve updated I think twice now. I already know it didn’t work then, or prior and now.

Message 18 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

I’ve had it for over 2 years and I’ve been dealing with this since day one. But I figure it was an update issue. I have been very patience with this. I search this matter as of recently and I was noticing other people having the same issue. So I brought it to this forum For advised.
Message 19 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Well I presume NG support won't do anything. I would have contact NG support first thing when this first appeared. Being two years later, not sure if anything can be done. You can reach out to a forum moderator and see what your options are. Otherwise, you might look into getting something else. 

Message 20 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

Apparently I was told to do an update whenever it was released. Once released I updated, it never changed then another update and another update, nothing changed. Now I’m stuck like everyone else here complaining about the same issue.
Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

You can reach out to a forum moderator and see what your options are. Let them know what your experiencing...

Message 22 of 28
Altsai
NETGEAR Expert

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Would not be the first time...

Message 24 of 28
DearGeo
Tutor

I’ve been down that route with Xbox, until they told me to unplug my Xbox and see if the problem continues. DEFINITELY CONTINUES, it’s not an Xbox issue they narrow it down to the router. Even when there’s no Xbox plugged in and completely unplugged I’m still getting the “disconnected from wired network” and shortly after “Connected to wired network”. I see the error right on my LG TV- I contacted LG, they stated it’s not an LG but router issue. Now what?
Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7