× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dual Wan on the AX8 or AX12

mrbart
Aspirant

Dual Wan on the AX8 or AX12

ok heres my problem, i have 2 ISPs at home each with 1gb connections, i want to dual wan them. these new AX routers have one multi gig port, great. however, can the multigig port can only be used as a WAN port? then thats a deal breaker...

someone tell me if its possible to use 2x1gig WAN ports and assign the 5G multi-gig port as a LAN, that way i can accept dual wan isps each with 1gig and send to my PC at 2gigs

unless advanced tomato comes out for these new routers then i can assign WAN to any ports i want and make any ports LAN

Message 1 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Dual Wan on the AX8 or AX12

the Multi-Gig port is only available as a LAN port for  the moment.

The option of using this Multi-Gig port as a WAN port may be implemented in the future

DarrenM

Message 2 of 4
mrbart
Aspirant

ok perfect thats what i want, multigig LAN. is this for both models? so can i change one of the regular gigabit LAN ports into WAN? that way i can have dual gigabit WAN + multigig LAN

Message 3 of 4
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

4 Ethernet ports: LAN (2 of them can be aggregate)

1 Ethernet port: WAN

1 Multi-Gig port: LAN

that is what is available on both units 

One thing to keep in mind though is having the option to create a LAG from a RAX80/RAX120 to a modem does not mean that you can receive 2 different internet connections to the RAX80/RAX120.

It means that you can bond 2 Ethernet cables together between the ISP modem and the router in case you receive more than 1Gb on your internet connection and do not want to waste any bandwidth.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7