× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Enable VPN Service

millewg001
Aspirant

Enable VPN Service

OK, I am probably not asking my question properly and will try this approach.  My primary computer is an iMac and it is always connected to my home network as are about 50 or so other MBP, iPad/iPhone, and IoT devices.  I have also recently installed a Netgear RAX120 that has a VPN service that I have enabled.  The Dynamic DNS is also enabled and appears to work.

What I am trying to do is provide VPN protection to my home network.  My question centers around 3 options:  1) Use the router VPN Service; 2) Procure a 3rd party VPN service, or 3) Use Netgear's Armour offering.

1) An option for the RAX120 router is "Enable VPN Service".  When I am away from my home network, I believe I can connect to my home network properly using OpenVPN using my iPad or iPhone.  My question is whether I have an active VPN service enabled on my router for my Home Network and  ALL of my connected devices.   Is there documentation that describes Netgear's VPN Service on routers describing what this service is and what level of protection it provides.

2) If not, do I need to purchase a 3rd party service (ie. ExpressVPN or NordVPN) to properly protect my home network and the devices connected to this. 

3) To contrast this, I have enabled Netgear's Armour on this router and it seems it provides the network protection I need and is an alternate solution to using either the router "VPN Service" or a 3rd party VPN service though it is not clear if it does (again documentation describing the level of protection)  This too seems to allow me to connect, via a VPN for devices when I am away from my HOME network.  

Finally, I also have TunnlelBlick installed and am attempting to connect the VPN on my iMac running macOS.  This fails to connect with the message 

2020-09-13 18:57:55.235162 TCP/UDP: Incoming packet rejected from [AF_INET]192.168.1.1:12974[2], expected peer address: [AF_INET]172.75.65.192:12974 (allow this incoming source address/port by removing --remote or adding --float).  Needless to say, I cannot find any information about this message and how to correct it.  I am not sure I want to anyway.  Even if I did get this option to work, I still have a lot of devices connected to my network that need VPN protection and this option only protects one device.

I would appreciate definitive answers to my questions and pointers to any documentation that helps me further understand just what Netgear's capabilities are.

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Enable VPN Service

The RAX120 VPN (like all Netgear routers with that VPN feature) is to bring up a secured VPN from a mobile device to your home - you never connect to that VPN from you home LAN. No VPN service provider required to make this happen. Suspect that is what you have tried with the Tunneblick client.

Netgear Armor VPN (BitDefender VPN) is intended to put up a VPN on your mobile device or computer while being away from home and using an "insecure" connection e.g. a non-encrypted public WiFi. It allows to handle the Internet traffic through a VPN for this device.

@millewg001 wrote:

What I am trying to do is provide VPN protection to my home network.

Reading to much advertisements by these VPN providers?

Why do you think you need this? Why do you think you have to protect your Internet butt?

Are you a PEP, are you doing things you are not allowed in your legislation, say or example file sharing of proprietary materials, ...?

Are you a hard core (or more professional) gamer with a big fear of being DoS'ed by your competitors?  Netgear's gaming routers allow to deal with a VPN provider e.g. for a selected computer IP addresses on on your LAN.

Are you using fast Gigabit or 10 Gigabit based Internet access? No VPN provider in the world will give you anything near to this bandwidth. Well, at least not at the costs they advertising. Saying it different: It typically does not make much sense to push all your Internet traffic through a VPN service.

Message 2 of 3
orangewaldo
Aspirant

Re: Enable VPN Service

I ended up on this post with the same question and to answer your rather interesting questions, im getting death pinged by a server out of china and I have tried everything that I can think of to ward off resetting my router every day because of it.  My ISP is no help and my options are enable whole network VPN to the outside world or install a security appliance such as the bitdefender box

Model: R7900P|Nighthawk X6S AC3000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7