Reply
Highlighted
Community Manager

Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

AX12 Tri-Band.jpg

Leading the New Era of Wi-Fi 6, NETGEAR is proud to introduce the latest router to our Wi-Fi 6 lineup, the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream router. Using the latest Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) standard, the Tri-Band AX12 is designed to provide four times increased data capacity to handle more devices on your network. With blazing-fast combined Wi-Fi speeds up to 10.8Gbps, you’ll be able to power your smart home, stream ultra-smooth 4K UHD, game online, and more!

 

As the only Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 router on the market, the Tri-Band AX12 is the fastest router for Gigabit internet. Tri-Band WiFi optimizes speeds across the three WiFi bands ensuring your WiFi stays fast and can efficiently handle multiple connected devices on your network. With two separate streams of data transfer over a 5GHz band, you’ll get smoother 4K/8K Ultra HD streaming and latency free online gaming.

 

Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 features include:

 

  • 12-Streams Tri-Band Wi-Fi - Ultra Wi-Fi 6 performance delivering multiple 4K streaming, low latency gaming & new blazing fast Internet speeds.

 

  • Multi-Gigabit Internet - Maximize your Internet speeds up to 2.5Gbps with new versatile Ethernet wired connections.

 

  • Gigabit WiFi to Mobile Devices - Enjoy streaming even more with ultra-fast WiFi speeds to compatible smartphones, laptops and more.

 

  • Quad-Core 1.8GHz Processor - High-performance processor delivers fast & reliable connections to all devices & applications

 

To learn more about the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 router, please visit:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx

 

Additional info about the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 router:

 

Message 1 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Looking at the Netgear Wi-Fi 6 AX Router comparison page, we find only the RAX120 does show Wi-Fi CERTIFIED WPA3 ... is this intentional? Aren't all Wi-Fi 6 devices - AP and clients - supposed to offer WPA3?

Message 2 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

I haven’t read anything as of yet that mentions the RAX80 being WPA3 certified. Only that it’s a possibility. I know it began shipping out without it for sure. The RAX120 is the only Qualcomm based router of the bunch. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

On that note, does the RAX120 utilize StreamBoost QoS like the R7800? Is the R7800 the only Nighthawk router with StreamBoost?

I wonder if the Qualcomm IPQ8078 SoC in the RAX120 will completely outclass the Broadcom BCM49408 SoC that’s in the RAX80 (and possibly the RAX200 from what I’ve read)?

I know the IPQ8078 has a quad-core Cortex A53 cluster that runs at 2.2 GHz whereas the BCM49408 has a 1.8 GHz quad-core ARMv8 processor (Cortex A53) with an 800 MHz network packet co-processor.

The WAN to LAN throughput in the R7800 is completely unaffected by having StreamBoost (QoS) turned on whereas the WAN to LAN throughput in all other Nighthawk routers is severely neutered. That’s why I’m asking.

Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 4 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Wow, I just read the data sheet on the IPQ8078. It has an additional 1.7 GHz dual-core network accelerator just for deep packet inspection duties... similar to the SoC in the R7800.

Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 5 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@Dustin_V wrote:

AX12 Tri-Band.jpg

Leading the New Era of Wi-Fi 6, NETGEAR is proud to introduce the latest router to our Wi-Fi 6 lineup, the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream router. Using the latest Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) standard, the Tri-Band AX12 is designed to provide four times increased data capacity to handle more devices on your network. With blazing-fast combined Wi-Fi speeds up to 10.8Gbps, you’ll be able to power your smart home, stream ultra-smooth 4K UHD, game online, and more!

 

As the only Tri-Band Wi-Fi 6 router on the market, the Tri-Band AX12 is the fastest router for Gigabit internet. Tri-Band WiFi optimizes speeds across the three WiFi bands ensuring your WiFi stays fast and can efficiently handle multiple connected devices on your network. With two separate streams of data transfer over a 5GHz band, you’ll get smoother 4K/8K Ultra HD streaming and latency free online gaming.

 

Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 features include:

 

  • 12-Streams Tri-Band Wi-Fi - Ultra Wi-Fi 6 performance delivering multiple 4K streaming, low latency gaming & new blazing fast Internet speeds.

 

  • Multi-Gigabit Internet - Maximize your Internet speeds up to 2.5Gbps with new versatile Ethernet wired connections.

 

  • Gigabit WiFi to Mobile Devices - Enjoy streaming even more with ultra-fast WiFi speeds to compatible smartphones, laptops and more.

 

  • Quad-Core 1.8GHz Processor - High-performance processor delivers fast & reliable connections to all devices & applications

 

To learn more about the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 router, please visit:

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx

 

Additional info about the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 router:

 


It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Message 6 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@Redtulips7 wrote:

It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz


Where/how do you see that? Netgear does claim 2.2 GHz for the RAX120 - whereas Qualcomm says that the IPQ8074 operates at 2.0 GHz. But here on the RAX200 we face - similar to the RAX80 - a BCM4908, commonly clocked at 1.8 GHz. 

Message 7 of 35
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Yeah NG claims 2.2 GHz in manual I believe. That means it’s an IPQ8078 and not IPQ8074 (2.0 GHz).
Message 8 of 35
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

For the RAX120 I meant.

The RAX200 is definitely a BCM chipset unit with a 1.8 GHz cpu. Seems literally an RAX80 with an extra 5Ghz band plus a 2.5 Gbps Eth port.
Message 9 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@avtella wrote:
Yeah NG claims 2.2 GHz in manual I believe. That means it’s an IPQ8078 and not IPQ8074 (2.0 GHz).

Yep, most is however caused by confusion as already the OP talked of a different model, not the one from the subject.

Message 10 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@avtella wrote:
Yeah NG claims 2.2 GHz in manual I believe. That means it’s an IPQ8078 and not IPQ8074 (2.0 GHz).

 

 

It has IPQ8074


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 11 of 35
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

RAX120 has a Qualcomm IPQ8078 because NG advertises a 2.2Ghz CPU (has a 1.7 GHz NSS Dua Core). The IPQ8074 is 2.0 GHz with 1.5Ghz NSS Dual Core for packer acceleration, QoS etc. If you are getting info from Wiki Devi then it’s wrong.


The RAX80/RAX200 use a Broadcom made 1.8 GHz CPU with a 800 MHz offload core.

All three use ARM Cortex A53 CPUs.
Message 12 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Wikidevi may also have the CPU wrong for the RAX80/RAX200. It could be the BCM49408 which Broadcom classifies as a Cortex B53. A low power, quad-core, 64-bit, ARM v8 compliant CPU running @ 1.8 GHz. I've also read that the chip is supplemented by a 800 MHz network packet co-processor, but no where official.

 

 


Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 13 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

 


@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz


Where/how do you see that? Netgear does claim 2.2 GHz for the RAX120 - whereas Qualcomm says that the IPQ8074 operates at 2.0 GHz. But here on the RAX200 we face - similar to the RAX80 - a BCM4908, commonly clocked at 1.8 GHz. 

 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13325/netgear-announces-nighthawk-rax80-rax120


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 14 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@Redtulips7 wrote:

 


@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz


Where/how do you see that? Netgear does claim 2.2 GHz for the RAX120 - whereas Qualcomm says that the IPQ8074 operates at 2.0 GHz. But here on the RAX200 we face - similar to the RAX80 - a BCM4908, commonly clocked at 1.8 GHz. 

 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13325/netgear-announces-nighthawk-rax80-rax120

 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-stealthily-goes-public-with-its-draft-11ax-routers.49740/


 


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 15 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@Redtulips7 wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

 


@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz


Where/how do you see that? Netgear does claim 2.2 GHz for the RAX120 - whereas Qualcomm says that the IPQ8074 operates at 2.0 GHz. But here on the RAX200 we face - similar to the RAX80 - a BCM4908, commonly clocked at 1.8 GHz. 

 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13325/netgear-announces-nighthawk-rax80-rax120

 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-stealthily-goes-public-with-its-draft-11ax-routers.49740/

 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX120.aspx


 


 


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 16 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

netgear_rax_compare_table.png

 


@Redtulips7 wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

 


@schumaku wrote:

@Redtulips7 wrote:

It has 2.2Ghz Processor not 1.8Ghz


Where/how do you see that? Netgear does claim 2.2 GHz for the RAX120 - whereas Qualcomm says that the IPQ8074 operates at 2.0 GHz. But here on the RAX200 we face - similar to the RAX80 - a BCM4908, commonly clocked at 1.8 GHz. 

 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13325/netgear-announces-nighthawk-rax80-rax120

 

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/netgear-stealthily-goes-public-with-its-draft-11ax-routers.49740/

 

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX120.aspx

 

 


 


 


 


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 17 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

My question was related on the subject Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200).

Message 18 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@schumaku wrote:

My question was related on the subject Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200).

 

No your question was wrong!!! So NG are lying about their Router speed, in their own websites and Spec.? or you own NG?


 

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 19 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Ask me? Yes it's a cool looking Router but not so cool looking UI or features!!! Yes it works, if you ask me? No dropping Wi-Fi signal, wired speed little better than Nighthawk X10 but thats all...........

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 20 of 35
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

That’s is correct BCM calls it a “Cortex B53” but it’s using A53 cores essentially just like the faster clocked IPQ8078.
Message 21 of 35
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

 

 


@schumaku wrote:

My question was related on the subject Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200).


I'm neither Netgear nor do I own Netgear. Hint: Read the line above stating "Subject"...

 


@Redtulips7 wrote:

No your question was wrong!!! So NG are lying about their Router speed, in their own websites and Spec.? or you own NG?


For those who don't trust the Netgear information ref. other models models vs. SoC clock speed (there were some hints in the media that NTGR is making use of a specialized version allowing a 2.2 GHz clock on the RAX120)  - create dedicated threads please.

For information segregation, instead of accusing or insulting other community members, may I suggest to stop any off topic posting - that's anything unrelated to the subject "Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router" (aka. RAX200) please.

 

Message 22 of 35
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router


@schumaku wrote:

 

 


@schumaku wrote:

My question was related on the subject Tri-Band AX12 (RAX200).


I'm neither Netgear nor do I own Netgear. Hint: Read the line above stating "Subject"...

 


@Redtulips7 wrote:

No your question was wrong!!! So NG are lying about their Router speed, in their own websites and Spec.? or you own NG?


For those who don't trust the Netgear information ref. other models models vs. SoC clock speed (there were some hints in the media that NTGR is making use of a specialized version allowing a 2.2 GHz clock on the RAX120)  - create dedicated threads please.

For information segregation, instead of accusing or insulting other community members, may I suggest to stop any off topic posting - that's anything unrelated to the subject "Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router" (aka. RAX200) please.

 


Sound like NG Subject indicates AX12[RAX120]

Nighthawk AX12[RAX120]
Nighthawk X10[R9000]
Model: RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 23 of 35
Highlighted
Prodigy

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

The RAX 120 uses an IPQ8078 (2.2 GHz Quad Core ARM Cortex A53 with 1.7 GHz Dual Network Cores)

The RAX 80 & RAX 200 use the same BCM4908 (1.8 GHz ARM Cortex A53 aka B53 with a 800 MHz Network Core)

Message 24 of 35
Highlighted
Luminary

Re: Introducing the Nighthawk Tri-Band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router

Are we sure they aren't using a BCM49408 vs the BCM4908? I've seen both mentioned in multiple articles.


Lack of planning on your part does NOT constitute an emergency on mine.
Model: RAX80| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router, RAX120| AX6000 - Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 8674 views
  • 6 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements