× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX200 Internet speeds reduced after latest firmware update

smokingmirror7
Follower

RAX200 Internet speeds reduced after latest firmware update

After the latest firmware update V1.0.3.106_1.0.58, my RAX200 router is failing to provide the speeds that it was previously providing.  I have tested speeds across straight WiFi to the router, through a repeater to the router, and from a hard-wired connection to router.  I'm currently using Comcast's Gigabit Internet and prior to the update, speeds would be roughly 400 Mbps on the WiFi and repeater connection and 800-900 MBps on the wired connection.  Now, speeds are running at 250-400 Mbps on the wired connection and 100-200 Mbps on the other two connections.  

I have completed a factory reset of the router twice without any difference.  I can confirm that if I plug a wired connection directly into the cable modem (Arris SB8200), I'm running at 950Mbps.  

Any ideas how I can rollback the firmware update or has anyone else experienced the same speed challenges?  This is not what I would happily expect from an update to this particular piece of equipment.  

Cheers,

Jim

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 1 of 3
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: RAX200 Internet speeds reduced after latest firmware update

Hi Jim,

You may refer to the article linked below to manually upload (revert back) a firmware version.

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Christian 

Message 2 of 3
LrryPtter
Initiate

Re: RAX200 Internet speeds reduced after latest firmware update

I did encounter same issue, of reduced speed, noticed on my MacBook, so decided to run a factory reset. It helped to recover the sped to 3-4 hundreds of MBs as I should have had, just to learn that my apple devices (MacBook and Iphones) could not get internet connection even if they were on the network, while my Windows PC laptops and Ring cameras were fine. Researched more and based on apple.com support pages went to unify the radios to a single network, and still didn't help. Ran a network diagnostic on my MacBook to learn that the channel was congested and folowed the recomended radio channel change for 2.4GHz radio and also the 5GHz radio. It did solve the MacBook issue to get internet, although my Iphone X is still struggling. Researched more and it seems that IOS 14.x had lots of issues with wireless connectivity, although not many after 14.4 update. Is going to be a blame game between Apple and Netgear, although I believe they both have a part in the trouble. Will switch back to my XR500, see if older tech may keep connectivity better than the new tech.

Model: RAX200|Nighthawk Tri-band AX12 12-Stream Wi-Fi 6 Router
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7