× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RAX40 V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 is not compatible with Spectrum ISP

jeffo20375
Aspirant

RAX40 V1.0.3.80_1.0.1 is not compatible with Spectrum ISP

All I have been on spectrum ineternet for about 4 months, when my wife was checking the router one day to see if one of the devices was enabled on the nightgear app, she noticed and update button for the firmware.  She clicked it and updated to this version "RAX40-V1.0.3.80_1.0.1".  Well as soon as the update was done, we had internet again.  Awesome!  well then 2 hours later the interget went down.  The modem was still online and the router showed all LED's on including the internet indicator.  So it was a little werid how the WIFI went away.  Anyways we cycled power on the router and everyting worked again.  However this kept happneing over and over every two hours.  Now remember everything has been working for 4 mnoths, flawless I might add.  Finally after a few days or troubleshooting and changing settings, I gave up and decided to revert back to "RAX40-V1.0.3.62"  which fixed the issue.  I do not know what is happening, but its annoying.  I believe its a setting just not sure which one it is.  I will at some time in the future want to update my router firmware (maybe).  Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 18
carminea
Star

same problem. The latest update appears to be a problem for many. There no wifi signal after the firmware update
Message 2 of 18

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware. It is also the first thing that Netgear support will recommend.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

The factory reset is more a "witchcraft" move than a technically informed solution, but it does seem to fix problems, especially on the wifi front.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

An alternative is to go back to the older firmware.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in your model number and find the documentation for your hardware.

It will also have any firmware for your device.

How do I manually upgrade firmware to my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 3 of 18
carminea
Star

That didn't work. Tried it 5 times and pushed reset pin hole on router.
Have sam3 problems. Even tried an older firmware from website. Doesn't work. The update fried the router.
I'll just switch brands and never buy netgear again, had the router 6 months spent 200 dollars for junk.
Message 4 of 18
carminea
Star

ok, what i learned is to download the older firmware version from Netgear website, look for the older version

V1.03.64_101 and go into the Admin settings of the route and update firmware manually.

After i did that everything works again back to normal. It tooks me a few days of playing with setting and resets, but today i downloaded and tried the older version and it works

give it a try. Also turn off auto updates so it doesnt happen again, and hopefully another update will come out

stay away from 3.80 version, its garabage. something is wrong with that version. It blocks all wifi traffic and you cannot do anything about it in the settings

Message 5 of 18

@carminea wrote:

give it a try. Also turn off auto updates so it doesnt happen again

That's important advice.

Message 6 of 18

@carminea wrote:

Even tried an older firmware from website. Doesn't work. The update fried the router.

That doesn't make sense. What does "fried the router" mean?

Message 7 of 18
carminea
Star

Google the term....
Message 8 of 18

@carminea wrote:
Google the term....

That is no use whatsoever.

There are specific terms that describe what is happening to a router. For example, "corrupt firmware" is something that everyone understands and that you will see mentioned in manuals.

If you don't want to help, fine. This will indicate to people how much weight to attach to your messages.

Message 9 of 18
jeffo20375
Aspirant

Yes, I tried to revert to factory settings, this did not fix the issue. Only reverting back to and older firmware version fixed the issue.
Message 10 of 18
carminea
Star

Here is the main issue, this means we cannot get any future updates that protect us from router vulnerability, after that's what firmware updates do right.
Message 11 of 18
Kevineprice
Aspirant

I ran into this EXACT SAME issue when I applied the new, and recommended, .80 firware update on June 30th.

SAME symptoms and also using Spectrum.  Had no issues at all prior to the application of this firmware.

I just downgraded it back to the stable .64 build and disabled autocheck for new versions.

Hoping the 2-3 times a day restart to rebroadcast SSID's stop!

Having a solid, and reliable, Wifi connection in a housefull of teenagers is expected...when it fails, you are the immediate reason why all things are bad in the world.

Netgear.....c'mon, you can do better than this in your firmware updates.

Model: RAX40|Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi Router
Message 12 of 18
jeffo20375
Aspirant

Well at least you can test new builds and if it doesn’t work revert back. But yes I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully enough of us are having this issue that Netgear will fix it in the next release.
Message 13 of 18
Kevineprice
Aspirant

Since I rolled back to the .64 firmware......all is well again.

With the .80 firmware, I was power-cycling 3-4 times a day to get my SSID's to broadcast again despite the "All green" physical LED indicator lights and the "Good" status on the NetGear Admin tools (mobile & web).  

I was looking forward to using the new "SmartConnect" feature to have it manage 2.4GHZ vs 5.0 GHZ....too bad, back to broadcasting both and choosing the default to use based on the connecting device.

Please fix this Netgear.  C'mon.....

Message 14 of 18
Bentl78
Guide

Still no update on the firmware? It’s been so long and seems so many people are having probs with the new firmware. Does Netgear even look at the issues here?
Message 15 of 18
Kevineprice
Aspirant

@Bentl78 wrote:
Still no update on the firmware? It’s been so long and seems so many people are having probs with the new firmware. Does Netgear even look at the issues here?

Not that I have seen.

Would love to use the "SmartConnect" feature that was to be in the .80 update as well.  Anybody found any threads on how that quality has been?

Message 16 of 18
carminea
Star

No, they don't check these forums ou5. Try reaching out to them on social media. I once got a response from that. Maybe if enough complain we can get a fix
Message 17 of 18
ob123
Initiate

same here. I have both RX35 and RAX40 and WIFI keeps disconnecting. Every day I have to reset the damn things. Reverting back to old firmware fixed the issue. 

@jeffo20375 wrote:

All I have been on spectrum ineternet for about 4 months, when my wife was checking the router one day to see if one of the devices was enabled on the nightgear app, she noticed and update button for the firmware.  She clicked it and updated to this version "RAX40-V1.0.3.80_1.0.1".  Well as soon as the update was done, we had internet again.  Awesome!  well then 2 hours later the interget went down.  The modem was still online and the router showed all LED's on including the internet indicator.  So it was a little werid how the WIFI went away.  Anyways we cycled power on the router and everyting worked again.  However this kept happneing over and over every two hours.  Now remember everything has been working for 4 mnoths, flawless I might add.  Finally after a few days or troubleshooting and changing settings, I gave up and decided to revert back to "RAX40-V1.0.3.62"  which fixed the issue.  I do not know what is happening, but its annoying.  I believe its a setting just not sure which one it is.  I will at some time in the future want to update my router firmware (maybe).  Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 18 of 18
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7