× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RAX80 Ethernet has no Internet Access

Brushtail
Aspirant

RAX80 Ethernet has no Internet Access

I have just setup the RAX80 I have just purchased as a replacement for my Dlink Dir-890L router. Wifi access seems to work fine and provides internet access, but if I switch to ethernet mode on my pc I get an ip address from dhcp on the router but the router does not connect to the internet. I have been through all the setup options in the web interface to the router from my pc but I cannot see any options to configure ethernet, does the RAX80 not support internet access via ethernet or is the device defective? Looking through all the options I also do not see any reference to 160MHz channels, have they been removed? I am currently on the 140 version of the firmware, which is the version the router shipped with. I have downloaded the 156 version of the firmware but haven't installed it yet.

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
additude
Virtuoso

Re: RAX80 Ethernet has no Internet Access

Why do you feel that that it's a router related issue?

Is it because it worked before you installed the new AX, but doesn't work now?

It sounds to me as though you have a cabling problem between the router and the pc or that you have an ethernet adapter problem in the "pc"...

Maybe you need to update the drivers for the Adapter on your PC.

Check that another device can be cabled to the router and be recognized by the router and reach the internet.

Check in the router that it registers an attached device via cable.

Check the speed 10/100/1000 that you are connected at via the cable.

Make sure in the router that you do not have anything disabled via parent controlls, schedules, etc.

Start with those things.

Message 2 of 8

@Brushtail wrote:

....but if I switch to ethernet mode on my pc I get an ip address from dhcp on the router but the router does not connect to the internet.

Do you mean the PC does not connect to the Internet? If the wifi connects to the Internet, then that is a more likely scenario.

What does "not connect to the internet" mean? What prompts and messages do you see?

My guess is that this is the important bit:

@Brushtail wrote:

I have just setup the RAX80 I have just purchased as a replacement for my Dlink Dir-890L router.

Your (Windows?) PC is used to working with the Dlink when you connect to the LAN. Now that you have changed the router Windows sees a different LAN and is trying to protect you from nasties.

My first guess is that you need to tell Windows that you are on a "private network".

• Network and Internet settings
  • Network Status
  • Change Connection Properties
  • Network Profile
  • Private

Networkstatus.jpg

If that isn't it, come back with details of what is going on.

I assume that you did not just replace one router with another and that you went through the correct process to set up the new one.

As this is a router, there is probably a modem sitting in front of it. You need to get the router to forget its misspent past with the old modem. That means rebooting the network.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Brushtail wrote:

Looking through all the options I also do not see any reference to 160MHz channels, have they been removed?

Different from earlier Netgear routers, there is no dedicated HT160 mode control in the RAX80. If you have wireless clients supporting 160 MHz (eight 20 MHz channels), just put the WiFi Mode selector to [Up to 4800 Mbps].

Message 4 of 8
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Brushtail, 

Would like to hear if you were able to perform the recommendations @additude and @michaelkenward provided. 

~Christian 

Message 5 of 8
Brushtail
Aspirant

Thankyou to everyone for the responses. I've just checked the connection options here and installing the new rounter and setting up the wifi interface has caused the windows network to connect on a pulic network even though the setup with the previous router was private. Also the ethernet interface is now connecting to the internet. It took over 2 hours from router installation and connecting windows 10 to the routers wifi interface for the ethernet interface to actually start working. It seems from my experience that the recommendations to connect to the router with ethernet in order to setup the router is not workable with the router I have out of the box.

Message 6 of 8
Brushtail
Aspirant

The windows network was indeed on a public network, but even though it was on a public network the wifi interface was connecting to the internet without any issues. The issue with the ethernet was it took over 2 hours for it to start connecting to the internet. Having set the wifi connection to private I have just switched to the ethernet interface and after waiting for it to connect to the internet, the network said it was connected to a public network which I have now changed to private. The question I have now is with all the router/modem_router changes I have done under various windows versions, why is using this router the first time that I have had to do this sort of windows network connection changes?

Message 7 of 8

@Brushtail wrote:

The windows network was indeed on a public network, but even though it was on a public network the wifi interface was connecting to the internet without any issues.

Two different network adapters.

The question I have now is with all the router/modem_router changes I have done under various windows versions, why is using this router the first time that I have had to do this sort of windows network connection changes?

Ask the people who write Windows. The network area has changed dramatically over the years, probably in pursuit of security.

This one has nothing to do with Netgear, but that does not stop the problem from cropping up here pretty often, which is why I suggested that early on.

It is a natural reaction: something goes wrong on the network, blame Netgear.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7