Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't restore router firmware after update failure

RocketDesigner
Aspirant

Can't restore router firmware after update failure

I tried updating my R6700v3 via the Nighthawk app, and the app displayed an update failed message. I walked over to the router and all the LED lights were on. I have a computer that has a wired connection to the router, and it showed a connection with no internet.  I tried connecting to the router through the browser using IP address 192.168.1.1, but the browser timed out.  At this point I power cycled the router and, on reboot, the Power LED started blinking after a few minutes.  I waited four minutes and it was still blinking. So, I figured the update corrupted the firmware.  Here is what I have tried to restore the router without success so far:

1. A soft reset by pressing the reset button for 7 seconds
  2. A harder reset by pressing the reset button, wait 30 seconds, turning the router off, wait 30 seconds, turn the router on, wait 30 seconds, and then release the reset button.
  3. Uploading the firmware following this article: How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using TFTP client? The only difference between what I see, and what the article describes is that, at the completion of the tftp upload, the MD5 shown in the dialog box for Tftpd64 is blank.  This is true for all three firmware versions that I tried.
  4. Uploading the firmware following this article: How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP However, the power LED on the router never starts blinking while the reset button is held as described in this article.  Instead, the router goes through a repeating cylce of turning on the other lights with the power LED at solid amber and sometimes turning off and then back on with the other lights; only when I release the reset button does the power LED start blinking after a few seconds. In any case, the transfer only works when the LED starts blinking. The tftp command claims success each time.

For methods 3 and 4, I tried three different firmware versions: 1.0.4.98 (latest), 1.0.4.84 (what was previously installed when last working), and 1.02.56 (the smallest prior firmware I could download).  In all tftp upload attempts, the computer could successfully ping the router, and both the Tftpd64 and Windows tftp client appeared to successfully upload the firmware.  Between tries, I waited at least four minutes to make sure the last firmware upload did not take hold.  Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
rinthos
Luminary

Re: Can't restore router firmware after update failure

Not sure I can offer much help other than..remove all cables from it, and power it up, after 5 minutes what do you see in terms of lights? Still just the Power LED flashing?

If so, sounds like the flash memory could be the culprit...not much that could be done if it's failing other than RMA ...

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 14

All Replies
rinthos
Luminary

Not sure I can offer much help other than..remove all cables from it, and power it up, after 5 minutes what do you see in terms of lights? Still just the Power LED flashing?

If so, sounds like the flash memory could be the culprit...not much that could be done if it's failing other than RMA ...

Message 2 of 14
RocketDesigner
Aspirant

I tried timing the start of the tftp based on other posts that I found indicating there is a small window for tftp to work.  Even found one post that suggested running ping and tftp in parallel and starting the tftp when the ping starts dropping packets.  (This happens when the power LED first turns solid amber befor it starts flashing.)  I also let the router sit for 5+ minutes with no cables attached as you suggested.  All result in continual amber blinking of the power LED.  So, I feel that I have exhausted all options and will take your advice to do an RMA.  Thank you for the reply.

Message 3 of 14

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

Message 4 of 14
rinthos
Luminary

@michaelkenward wrote:

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

If it works, you may be able to use the usual method to flash the firmware again.

Download the latest firmware for your device – or an older version if that is what you want – and read the Release Notes for how to install it.

If that fails, you are into TFTP country.

How to upload firmware to a NETGEAR router using Windows TFTP | Answer | NETGEAR Support

This also explains how to tell Windows to use TFTP on your PC.

This isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

The good news is that TFTP has rescued many a dead device.

The original poster already noted the recovery reset in their original post, and then tried TFTP and referenced different TFTP KBs they tried...Sounds like they have warranty coverage still, so I'm not aware of anything end-users can do beyond TFTP to force-load firmware...any last resort stuff you can share might be helpful, otherwise I'd still go the RMA route if it's available...

Message 5 of 14

@rinthos wrote:

The original poster already noted the recovery reset in their original post, and then tried TFTP and referenced different TFTP KBs they tried...

It got lost in the saga.

That long message did not convince me that they had done it right. Too much extraneous background detail.

The point about TFTP is that it is a complicated process that needs the right configuration and timing.

If a warranty return works, fine, if not try again without being tricksy. Simply make several attempts to use TFTP as intended. Pay careful attention to all of the messages returned.

Message 6 of 14
RocketDesigner
Aspirant

@michaelkenward Thank you for the advice.  I did try the 30-30-30 hard reset, both alone, followed by tftp, and four minutes after a tftp upload.  I have tried various combinations using tftp including:

• Power up actions: the 30-30-30 hard reset, various amounts of time holding reset on power up (7, 10, 30, 60, and 120 seconds), and no reset on power up.  
  • tftp applications: tried using both Tftpd64 and Windows tftp client
  • Timing of the tftp put command: immediately on power up*, when only the Power LED and Ethernet port lights are amber (unit does this for about six seconds before the Power LED starts blinking)*, when Power LED first starts blinking, and after the Power LED blinks 10 times.
    (*Only the Windows tftp client works when executed before the power LED starts blinking; Tftpd64 stays stuck on block zero if I execute it before the LED starts blinking. Based on when Windows tftp completes the transfer, it appears that the Windows tftp client simply keeps trying the connection, but the connection doesn't successfully start until the LED starts blinking.)

My unit is still under warranty, and I was able to initiate an RMA.  Will be packing up the unit today and mailing it tomorrow.

Message 7 of 14
jallington59
Aspirant

Router purchased in April 2020

Worked for 3 or 4 months.

Netgear alerted me via email that i needed to do a firmware upgrade.  Included instructions on doing so via Nighthawk App.

I ran the suggested upgrade three times and got three failures.

Router went kaput - only power light showing.  Evidently the Firmware is corrupted.

After several hours trying to fix by downloading firmware to computer and trying a TFP transfer.  No luck.  It's toast.

4 month old router is toast.  Service ended at 3 months.

Message 8 of 14
rinthos
Luminary

@jallington59 wrote:

Router purchased in April 2020

Worked for 3 or 4 months.

Netgear alerted me via email that i needed to do a firmware upgrade.  Included instructions on doing so via Nighthawk App.

I ran the suggested upgrade three times and got three failures.

Router went kaput - only power light showing.  Evidently the Firmware is corrupted.

After several hours trying to fix by downloading firmware to computer and trying a TFP transfer.  No luck.  It's toast.

4 month old router is toast.  Service ended at 3 months.

Perhaps a glimmer of hope, but assuming you've exhausted all options, if you purchased it brand new from a authorized/legit retailer, you have a 1 year warranty (90 day tech support), so you should be able to get an RMA/replacement under warranty if it's failed.

Message 9 of 14

@jallington59 wrote:

Router went kaput - only power light showing. 

Showing what?

Colour? (White/Green/Orange?)

State? (Steady/Flashing?)

These things matter.

Message 10 of 14
jallington59
Aspirant

Great advice.  I will give it a shot.

Message 11 of 14
RocketDesigner
Aspirant

@jallington59 This was the first and last time that I use the Nighthawk app to update firmware on a router. After this experience, I am sticking with manual firmware loads from a PC.  I own all three versions of the R6700. (I use the v2 as a wireless bridge and keep the v1 as a cold backup.  It is what I am using now that the v3 is a brick.)  I never had an issue with Netgear's firmware upgrades until I tried it through the app. The v2 has been going strong for 3 years and the v1 worked great for four years before it started requiring weekly reboots.  (Though this may be due to a sudden growth in wireless devices in my house putting a bigger strain on the network.)  This is why I replaced it with the v3.  Hopefully, this issue with the v3 is one-time, and isn't indicative of quality issues with this version of the unit. 

Message 12 of 14

@RocketDesigner wrote:

@jallington59 This was the first and last time that I use the Nighthawk app to update firmware on a router.

Wise move.

While you are at it, disable any attempts to automatically update the firmware behind your back.

Netgear, and probably others, try to make life easier for users. In the process, they actually introduce what can be pitfalls when things do not go to plan.

Message 13 of 14
jallington59
Aspirant

Thank you for the advice and for the assurance that this is a known problem.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7