Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Login when in Access Point mode

thompsondc
Tutor

Login when in Access Point mode

I've set my R7800 into access point mode, as I have a Mikrotik RB4011+ performing DHCP.  I can connect to my Nighthawk via the android app, but not via IP over the LAN.  The only thing I want to do is connect to confirm it's getting firmware updates and such, but it seems silly that I can't do it over the LAN via IP.  I must be doing something wrong.

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions

Re: Login when in Access Point mode

Your call.

The alternative is, of course, to leave the R7800 to manage its IP address and to tell the Mikrotik router to keeps its hands off.

Just because it used to rule the roost does not mean that it has to do that for ever.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What do you mean by "I can't do it over the LAN via IP? Do you mean by web browser? 

What FW is loaded? 

Message 2 of 12
thompsondc
Tutor

Yes, I mean via web browser.  Firmware is v1.0.2.92.

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

How is it now working? 

Recommend manually checking for FW updates on the NG download page or here in the forums. Sometimes NG will not post new FW to the auto update servers. 

Message 4 of 12
plemans
Guru

Are you using the IP address the Mikrotik is assigning to it? 

in AP mode, the mikrotik assigns and IP address. 

Message 5 of 12

@plemans wrote:

Are you using the IP address the Mikrotik is assigning to it? 

That's the way to do it.

There are various ways of finding the IP address. As @plemans hints, you can look at the router's list of attached devices.

Another way is to use the Netgear genie for your operating system.

genie | Product | Support | NETGEAR

The good thing there is that it shows a map of the network and the AP may well show up as a clickable link. A neat tool if you want to do this regularly.

Another way to make life easy is to fic the IP address on the AP so that you can always go to that to get at the browser graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 6 of 12
thompsondc
Tutor

After doing a deepdive, I've figured it out.  I have a DHCP reservation for the R7800 on the Mikrotik, which I was seeing in RouterOS's DHCP Server > Leases screen; however the R7800 is picking up a different IP (of it's choosing), much higher in number (and therefore further down the page...

Apologies for ultimately not scrolling down to locate the correct IP.  I used the correct one, and I'm good.

Any ideas on how to force the R7800 to take the IP reserved for it?

Message 7 of 12

@thompsondc wrote:

Any ideas on how to force the R7800 to take the IP reserved for it?

Look in the settings.

• Settings
  • Advanced setup
  • Router / AP/ Bridge Mode
  • AP Mode
  • Use fixed IP Address (not recommended)

Take it away....

Message 8 of 12
thompsondc
Tutor

Thanks.  I did that.  Although it says that method is NOT recommended:

thompsondc_0-1684179660043.png

Message 9 of 12

Your call.

The alternative is, of course, to leave the R7800 to manage its IP address and to tell the Mikrotik router to keeps its hands off.

Just because it used to rule the roost does not mean that it has to do that for ever.

Message 10 of 12
thompsondc
Tutor

Yup.  I did it.  I just hadn't gone back into that setting, thinking that it would cause me to have to setup the R7800 all over again.

Message 11 of 12

It certainly is not well labelled. It looks like a toggle, when it actually takes you into the settings.

I like a fixed IP address for APs so that I don't have to hunt around for them on the rare times that I want to do things.

I don't chase firmware that assiduously on APs. Most of their features are disabled and I reckon, perhaps mistakenly, that the router will pick up serious security issues.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7