Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

New - R9000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.42 Released

FURRYe38
Guru

New - R9000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.42 Released

Security Fixes: 08/01/2022

• Fixes security vulnerabilities.

For more information about security vulnerabilities, visit https://www.netgear.com/about/security

Download Link: 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/r9000.aspx#download

Firmware Update Instructions:

To update your router’s firmware, follow the instructions in your router’s user manual. To view your router’s user manual, visit 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R9000.aspx#docs

Manually update FW on the router if this isn't seen on the routers web page: 

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Use a wired PC and web browser to update router FW. If continued problems are seen after a FW update, it's recommended to try a factory reset and setup from scratch with out loading any saved configurations from backup files. 

NOTE:  A factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed if problems are encountered after applying FW updates:

https://kb.netgear.com/9665/How-do-I-perform-a-factory-reset-on-my-NETGEAR-router

NOTE: Recommend setting the default DHCP IP address pool range to the following after applying and a factory reset: 192.168.#.100 to 192.168.#.200.

NOTE: Its recommended to install a USB laptop cooler under the router for 24/4 cooling. Helps keep the router cool and helps avoid heat damage to the electronics.

This article applies to:

• Wireless AC Router Nighthawk (1)
  • R9000

Let us know how this version of FW works for you...

Message 1 of 17
Adam2688
Initiate

Re: New - R9000 Firmware Version 1.0.5.42 Released

Just updated today and it works fine.
Message 2 of 17
Jakb
Tutor

Caution:

Updated my R9000 to V1.0.5.42 and now WIFI is non-functional. 
Connection lights are off, Wifi button is illuminated, Wireless OFF in control, No wifi signal.

Pressing (and holding) physical button provides no results. 
Reset multiple times and re-installed firmware

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power OFF the router for 1 minute after pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then release? 

Message 4 of 17
Jakb
Tutor

Physical Button will turn on and off blue LEDs and will disable wireless enablement in the website. 

2.4, 5 and 60GHz show as enabled in wireless settings
After a while 60GHz signal light turns on, but 2.4 and 5 stay off and no signal found

Factory Reset from website: no changes. 
10 second reset button with 1 min off: no changes

Was working just fine this morning and the last while. 

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What does the basic tab say for Wireless in web browser. 

Try downgrading the FW to prior working version? 

Message 6 of 17
Jakb
Tutor

It just said "WARNING: OFF" with a big yellow icon
Tempuratures for 2G and 5G weren't even showing up on http://[router_ip]/debug.htm

Rollback to 1.0.5.4 or 1.0.5.4 didn't fix it

I had to backload an old 1.0.4 firmware, enable telnet and then run these commands to get it to work
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-AD7200-x10-Firmware-Ver-1-0-5-24-kills...
Once it rebooted it worked right away.

Updated to V1.0.5.42 and seems to be running fine. 
It might not even have been this software upgrade per se, but it tipped it over the edge. 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

So is temp features now seen on the debug page? 

Strange that you had to run those telnet commands. A factory reset should have kicked the radios back ON. 
Maybe your unit was in some odd state. Others have not reported seeing this issue to date. 

You might try a factory reset 1st things BEFORE loading next FW update. Just ensure the radios and configuration are clear, then load new FW. 

Hopefully this won't happen again. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...

@Jakb wrote:

It just said "WARNING: OFF" with a big yellow icon
Tempuratures for 2G and 5G weren't even showing up on http://[router_ip]/debug.htm

Rollback to 1.0.5.4 or 1.0.5.4 didn't fix it

I had to backload an old 1.0.4 firmware, enable telnet and then run these commands to get it to work
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R9000-AD7200-x10-Firmware-Ver-1-0-5-24-kills...
Once it rebooted it worked right away.

Updated to V1.0.5.42 and seems to be running fine. 
It might not even have been this software upgrade per se, but it tipped it over the edge. 

Message 8 of 17
mhiney
Initiate

I upgraded from V1.0.5.40 and had no end of issues requiring frequent reboots to return full speed.  My setup is as follows,

• COMCAST 1.2Gbps down 45 up (I get 1.425Gbps on speedtest)
  • Motorola MB8611 Modem
  • WAN Port is using a 10Gbps SFP+ -T port with CAT7 cable between R9000 and Modem - negotiated at 2.5Gbps
  • LAG (Only static works for some reason) to my Office
  • GC728X switch running LAG to router
  • Many other (76 at last count) devices on Wifi 2.4 and 5 and Ethernet
  • 802.11ad (60Ghz) is turned off
  • R9000 handling DHCP (this will change soon)
  • PiHole running DNSfwd as the primary
  • A few other switches connected
  • VoIP Services
  • No other firewalls or significant NW hardware on the net, but a whole lot of clients

I know it's a pretty "weird" setup but I'm a career NW engineer and SW developer so my work is also my hobby to an extent.  I'd recently changed a number of things at the house including new equipment and the SFP+ connection so quite a bit changed within a few weeks of my "upgrade".  This happened right after I upgraded to 1.0.5.42 which worked well for a few days before the rest of it and I'd put that firmware update off as "not the issue".

The symptoms were a general slowdown or disconnection primarily of the ethernet connected devices.  I saw slowdowns in several "steps" the first being the 70Mbps range for download the next being ~20Mbps and the last being Kbps.  Sometimes WAN connectivity was essentially off but for some reason pings usually got through.  Anything more significant like web page loading was not happening.  Finally ALL devices (Windows and Apple) that have an internet heartbeat would appear "Disconnected from Internet" in that last state.

I tried nearly everything to increasing FAN speed, disabling LAG, setting up VLANS for chatty home automation devices, re-terminating connections, replacing cables, turning off XBoX On Demand and putting it on WiFi and nearly everything else I could find in the forums.  Some things seemed to make it less terrible but nothing "fixed' the situation.  The logs off the main interface didn't provide any hints and the debug logs didn't have anything that would lead to the issue.

One thing of note, I have a Ryzen 5900x workstation with a 10Gbps SFP+ network connection it.  for some reason, booting this machine and logging in seemed to be a pretty regular and reliable event that would cause the R9000 to choke. I pulled the 10G connection and was using both a PCIe card and the built in 1Gbps network to no avail.  If that machine booted (Win10) and started doing heavy network traffic it would cause the R9000 to flake.

After all this (two weeks), I decided to downgrade to V1.0.5.40 and so far (past few hours) I've been trouble free.  I realize that I should have downgraded sooner and not wasted the last week trying everything else under the sun.  I wist Netgear would add specifics on the "security  updates" to allow us to choose if the risk of the security issue is less than the risk of what I just went through. I understand the rationale of not publishing it as a misguided sense of additional protection for users that haven't upgraded but it makes it really tough to make an educated decision.  I'll post a follow up in a few days on 1.0.5.40 and if it's 100% solid, I'm saying .42 has a bug in it.  At least with my configuration.

Message 9 of 17
mhiney
Initiate

I got so frustrated with the situation this past weekend I completely reloaded everything. I also removed the SFP+ interface and dropped down to GigE for the WAN port.  I did a firmware update and blew away all settings.  So far it *seems* to be running very well.  I hope it was just something stuck in the config.  I'll post updates as they happen.

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes a factory reset and setup from scratch is needed after a new FW load. FW post mentions this.

Message 11 of 17
cvnsk
Aspirant

1.0.5.42 broke ReadyCloud. Could not access my USB HDD from the internet. downgraded to 1.0.5.40 and it's working again.

Can this be fixed?

Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router after the FW was updated and setup from scratch? 

@cvnsk wrote:

1.0.5.42 broke ReadyCloud. Could not access my USB HDD from the internet. downgraded to 1.0.5.40 and it's working again.

Can this be fixed?

Message 13 of 17
RParadowski
Aspirant

Readyshare not working. Errors = "can't find server" , No USB drive, The Readyshare access does not respond.  I've removed the USB drives and the are access able from desktop USB connection.. Power to USB drives indicated be warmth.  This post FIRMWARE v1.0.5.42 update.  The "Readyshare"  no longer appears  in Wnidows 10 Network list.

thx,

bob

Message 14 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you factory reset the router after the FW was updated and setup from scratch? 

@RParadowski wrote:

Readyshare not working. Errors = "can't find server" , No USB drive, The Readyshare access does not respond.  I've removed the USB drives and the are access able from desktop USB connection.. Power to USB drives indicated be warmth.  This post FIRMWARE v1.0.5.42 update.  The "Readyshare"  no longer appears  in Wnidows 10 Network list.

thx,

bob

Message 15 of 17
RParadowski
Aspirant

Thanks for your response.  I have not performed a Factory Reset and setup from scratch. I have not done this in the past and generally do not perform factory resets on my phone, computers or watch unless there is a catastrophic failure. If downgrading the firmware does not work, I will look for another solution.  Bob.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

A factory reset would be needed ON the router if problems are seen. This is a long and valid standing troubleshooting step in helping to narrow down problems seen.

Good Luck.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7