Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk R6700 and Cox modem

edx15
Aspirant

Nighthawk R6700 and Cox modem

Hello Netgear Community:  

This is my initial post to this forum. 

Until 0800 hrs, MST, I had an active internet connection via Cox cable, using a cox internet router & a D-Link DIR-615 router.  

Cox had informed me that I needed to upgrade / change my Cox supplied modem.  Cox informed me that my D-Link DIR-615 router was incompatible with the currently available Cox modems.  

Cox had issued to me a "Technicolor CGM4141" modem.  

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/technicolor-cgm4141.html

I am able to connect to & browse the internet if my PC [ which I had assembled, circa 2012 ] is connected via ethernet cable [ RJ 45 ] is connected to the Cox modem.  

July 2019, I had purchased a Netgear Nighthawk R6700 router.  The Nighthawk R 6700 had been in the box in which it had arrived from Amazon, July 2019.  This, Wednesday, 11 Oct 2023, I broke the shrink wrap seal on the box containing the Nighthawk.  

After taking the old cox modem & previously used D-Link DIR 615 out of service, with the power to the Cox Pano CGM 4141 and my PC off, I connected the a/c power cable to the Cox modem.  I connected the coax cable from a working cox cable outlet, to my cox supplied CGM 4141 modem.  

After the light on the CGM 4141 modem was steadily illuminated, I connected, using a new ethernet RJ 45 cable to my PC.  

Viola.  I had internet access, as I do now.  

After unpacking the Netgear Nighthawk R 6700, with the Cox modem & my PC off, I connected the Cox modem [ yellow port ] to my Netgear Nighthawk R 6700, connected power, and waited until the lights on the top front of my Netgear Nighthawk R6700 were illuminated.  

Then, using a different ethernet / RJ 45 cable, I connected my PC to port 4 of the Nighthawk.  

The Cox CGM - 4141 & Nighthawk are not communicating.  

I called Cox internet tech support.  I was told to disable the Bridge on the CGM 4141, which I did.  The problem persists.  Well, duh.  :

Please provide me with instructions.  

I am unable to log into the Nighthawk, by opening Google Chrome, entering 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, but the connection times out.  

I use this version of Google Chrome.  Version 109.0.5414.120 (Official Build) (32-bit)

Thanks for your time.  

Sincerely, 

edx15

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
edx15
Aspirant

Re: Nighthawk R6700 and Cox modem

Dear Netgear community, esp Kitsap:  

Thanks for the reply.  

I apologize for not providing sufficient information.   

I decided to contact Netgear support.  I spoke with Anish, who said that he was in Southern India.  

He solved my problem.  Using the Netgear Genie interface, we put the Nighthawk in Router mode.  

We disabled the existing router.

$99.99 well spent.  

Sincerely, 

edx15

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

It would help to know a little bit about what you are trying to do. 

Your new CGM4141 is a combination modem and Wi-Fi router device and your R6700 is a couple of generations out of date Wi-Fi router.  The R6700 could be configured as a wired access point to provide Wi-Fi in another area of your home.  Alternatively, you could enable the bridge mode on your CGM4141, connect the R6700 downstream and let it perform the routing and Wi-Fi function. 

You do not want both devices trying to perform routing functions on the same network.  With bridge mode on your CGM4141 enabled, both the routing function and Wi-Fi are disabled.

Message 2 of 6
edx15
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  

I decided to contact Netgear support.  I spoke with Anish, who said that he was in Southern India.  

He solved my problem.  Using the Netgear Genie interface, we put the Nighthawk in Router mode.  

$99.99 well spent.  

Sincerely, 

edx15

Message 3 of 6
Kitsap
Master

@edx15 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  

$99.99 well spent.  

Sincerely, 

edx15

Glad you got it working to your satisfaction.  Recommend you save a backup configuration file in case your would need to reset your R6700 some time in the future.

Please mark this thread as resolved so others may benefit from your experience. 

Message 4 of 6

@edx15 wrote:

$99.99 well spent.  

A few minutes here, and you might have got that answer for nothing.

@Kitsap actually gave the answer to your problem.

It is a classic case of "two-router" (NAT) syndrome.

I chip in only to point out that if this was the official Netgear "Premium Support" service

NETGEAR ProSupport for Home | NETGEAR

it says "After 1 year, auto-renews annually". You should be ready for that auto-renew gotcha.

Message 5 of 6
edx15
Aspirant

Dear MichaelKenWard & Kit something:  

Thanks for the teeny tiny gotcha notice.  

I called netgear & requested to opt out of the auto renewal.

The problem was as your correctly identified.  I wanted to void dueling routers.  

Sincerely, 

edx15

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7