Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000 Nighthawk - No Internet Connection

barnettr
Aspirant

R7000 Nighthawk - No Internet Connection

Hello...this one really has me perplexed.  When I log into my router, the main page always says 'Internet - Not Connected'.  However...all WIFI devices that are managed by my router ARE are connected to the Internet and work great.  I've tried a few things from the 'Internet' tab on the main Netgear screen, but nothing seems to work.  My ISP does not require a User ID  or Password to connect the router, so I can't figure it out.  Any ideas to resolve this would be much appreciated!

This is the firmware I'm running:  V1.0.11.126_10.2.112

Thanks...

RB

Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000 Nighthawk - No Internet Connection

Wow 3 years with out a reset. Thats probably pretty good run. Yes I would reset and setup from scratch and see if this helps, if not, Try updating FW. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 14

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What broswer are you using? Happens in a different browser? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before entering the routers web page. 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

Also there is newer FW available:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/New-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-11-134-Releas...

Message 2 of 14
barnettr
Aspirant

Hello FLURRYe38...

Thanks for the quick reply.  Thinking about this more...I believe it started when we converted from Charter (cable coax connection) to our new ISP which brings the Internet to the house via fiber.  There is only a small black box (I guess this is the modem) that has its own power supply, a jack that connects the fiber to the modem and an ethernet outlet that I connect to the router.  

I have tried multiple browsers all with the same result.  I have cleared all cache, etc.  I have also powered off the router and dropped power to the fiber box (modem).  I waited 3-4 minutes and brought power up in the suggested sequence.  Same result.  I don't think I can get a firmware download until we resolve this issue with the Router connecting to the Internet, right?

I'm convinced there is some setting in the Netgear software that is not right.  Maybe I should call my ISP to see if they have any ideas on this?

Again...I want to point out that all WiFi enabled devices that run through this Router (including a NetGear extender) have no problems accessing the Internet.  It is only the R7000 router.

Thanks for any other ideas you may have!

RB

Message 3 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the CAT# lan cable that connects the router to the ISP modem/ONT? CAT6 is recommended. 

Has the router ever been factory reset since last FW update? 

You might review the more recent FW update. I've had this loaded on my R7000. Saw nothing like this. 

If you can get internet services, and get the FW manually downloaded, you can manually install new FW:

https://kb.netgear.com/23960/How-do-I-manually-update-the-firmware-on-my-NETGEAR-router

Message 4 of 14
barnettr
Aspirant

OK...

Yes...I am using CAT-6 to run from the ISP installed Fiber Box to the Router.

And no...I have not done a 'factory reset' to the router since I installed it 3 years ago.  I have always downloaded the latest firmware to keep the unit current.  So you are thinking perhaps I need to do a factory reset?  I assume when you do a factory reset it reverts to the 'out of the box' admin ID and Password?  I'll also need to review any other settings I've made because I'll lose those too...

Thx.

Message 5 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow 3 years with out a reset. Thats probably pretty good run. Yes I would reset and setup from scratch and see if this helps, if not, Try updating FW. 

Message 6 of 14

@barnettr wrote:

And no...I have not done a 'factory reset' to the router since I installed it 3 years ago. 

The reset has  nothing to do with new firmware. There is no reason why you should reset a router just because it has new firmware, Your problem is completely different.

You have moved the router from one Internet service to something completely different.

During the setup process, the router detects the Internet service and adapts its settings accordingly. So you have a router set up for cable Internet that is running on "fibre". It is no surprise that the thing is not performing as expected.

Message 7 of 14
barnettr
Aspirant

Hey Michael,

Thanks for your input too.  As noted, we did change from a Cable provider to a Fiber provider.  After the Fiber installer disconnected the Cable and connected the Fiber, all the devices using this Router came up fine and connected to the Internet.  I really didn't think anything more about it until a week or so ago I logged on to the Router via Routerlogin.net and noticed it said 'No Internet'.  I'm beginning to think it has to be some sort of software glitch to be giving this false message, don't you?  Obviously the Router IS connected to the Internet or none of the other devices would be working.  Maybe at the time we converted from cable to fiber I should have done a Factory Reset before we brought the new ISP on-line. 

Thoughts?

RB   

Message 8 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

So did a reset help clear this? I see you marked your thread as solved...just wondering. 

Sometimes FW can get messed up and even a power OFF and back ON with the router and ISP hardware may not work to resolve it. A factory reset maybe needed and most times, it does help to resolve odd problems. 

Message 9 of 14
barnettr
Aspirant

Hey Flurrye38,

I have not found a good time to do a factory reset for the Router as you can imagine that no one wants to be down for a while.  I just thought you had a good answer for me last night so I marked it a resolved.

I will let everyone know if this works once I try it.

I did call Tech support for the Fiber ISP and they did some troubleshooting from their end.  Good folks to work with, but they said all looked good from their end.  They don't require any sort of special User ID or password from the Router to get on their network.

RB

Message 10 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

You can make a backup configuration to file prior to doing the factory reset. This will save time on setting up after a reset. I would reset first, then walk thru the setup wizard, then look at the Internet status. Should see GOOD here. If you do, can apply the backup file and check again. 

Message 11 of 14

@barnettr wrote:

As noted, we did change from a Cable provider to a Fiber provider.  After the Fiber installer disconnected the Cable and connected the Fiber, all the devices using this Router came up fine and connected to the Internet. 

So you need to reset the router so that it can negotiate a connection to the new service.

a week or so ago I logged on to the Router via Routerlogin.net and noticed it said 'No Internet'.  I'm beginning to think it has to be some sort of software glitch to be giving this false message, don't you? 

Not really. You need to try several other things to pin it down to a firmware thing, if that is what you mean.

For example, what happens when you try to connect to the IP address of the R7000? By default that would be 192.168.1.1

Of course, the first step in these circumstances would, as @FURRYe38 suggests, ba a factory reset. If you don't want to do that – a task that shouldn't take much more than 10 minutes – just live with the error message.

Message 12 of 14
barnettr
Aspirant

Hey folks,

I've tried all suggestions, including resetting the router back to its factory settings.

I used the Nighthawk app to do the entire fresh setup.  

Eventually the router connected all our devices to the Internet; after all that, the Netgear Nighthawk App (running on my iPhone) shows 'INTERNET: Online' (but when you run the Internet Speed Test on the App it says 'Connection Failed' and to reboot the router) and look at it on the PC Software it shows: Internet Not Connected.  Bottom line - I'll live with it and will  probably purchase a newer unit in the next year or so anyway.  I'd like to stick with the Netgear brand.  Any recommendations?   Go with the newer 'mesh technology' units?

Thanks.  

Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have walked thru the routers setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser...the NH app could cause some odd issues to be seen. 

I'm enjoying a RAX50 currently. 

MK80s MESH seems to be ok. 

Orbi, well, there good...however, FW has been a roller coaster ride to say the least. 

Any mesh systems are kind of dependent upon size of home. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7