Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R7000

R7000

Should be easy.  I was sent a new Internet modem by my ISP.  Since then, I can't log in to my 50 network.  when I type in 192.168.1.x in my browser, I get the ISP home page.  How do I access my router?

Can't give version, etc because I can't access my router.

Message 1 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: R7000

Is the R7000 in router or AP mode? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 41

Set up R7000 as router.

Optimum communications - Ubee modem.  Model # UBC 1322

Message 3 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Seems like that modem has a router built in on it already:

This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.

What happens when you disconnect the NG router from the ISP modem temporarily? Can you log in to the NG router then? 

Message 4 of 41

Thanks for the help.  My ISP says there is no way to disable the 'router part' of the modem.  I have to trade in for a modem with no router capabilities.  I find that questionable.  A router with no way to change settings?

Nonetheless, thanks for the help.  Guess I'll trade it in

Message 5 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Try option #2 then...

Message 6 of 41

That is the problem.  Can't access the router built in to the modem.  Not allowed.  Can't access the R7000.  Not permitted by the ISP modem/router.

Message 7 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Ah, ya, I'd get into a modem only unit or check to see if you can buy your own modem and use it on there network.

Good Luck.

Message 8 of 41

You were right.  New modem did the trick.

One followup.

I can surf the net.  I can't access my R7000.  192.168.1.x results in "The connection has timed out."  In addition, I have 3 50 networks and one 24.  I;ll refer to them (uncreatively) as network1, network2, and network3 and network24.  In windows 10, I can see network24, network1 and network3, but not network2.  On my android phone settings, I can see none of the 50 networks.  I can see the 24.  I have a widget on my phone which shows all 3 50 networks and the 24 network, BUT, while the other networks show a strength? value, the widget shows network3 as a "?."

Since network2 has the strongest signal at one end of my house, how do I find/connect to network2?

Message 9 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

What IP address does a wired PC get when connected to the back of the R7000? 

Message 10 of 41

First, the PC is wireless.

Second, how do I find the IP?  I can't access the router app.

Message 11 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

Look on the PCs networking settings for IP address that it gets from the router. 

Are you trying to access the router using the Nighthawk app? If so, try connecting to the routers web page instead using a wired PC and web browser. 192.168.1.1 should work if that hasn't changed...

Message 12 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

A router with no way to change settings?

ISPs are trying to push customers down that road. Hence the rise of the modem/router that you cannot "bridge" and put into modem only mode.

For some time now, cable operators have locked users out of the firmware bit of the modem, and then refuse to keep up with the device maker' updates.

They also supply pretty basic boxes with none of the features of more sophisticated routers

One of several reasons for getting a separate modem, and putting a grown up router behind it.

Message 13 of 41
Kitsap
Master

@required_alias wrote:

First, the PC is wireless.

Second, how do I find the IP?  I can't access the router app.

If you are using a Windows computer, start the task manager application and on the left side select the network information.  At the bottom of the window under the graph it should show the IPv4 connected address as well as the IPv6 as applicable.

Message 14 of 41

W11

Task Manager opens showing 'Processes.'  There is no Network option in the left bar.

Message 15 of 41
Kitsap
Master

@required_alias wrote:

W11

Task Manager opens showing 'Processes.'  There is no Network option in the left bar.

Open the performance TAB across the top.  See attached.

Message 16 of 41

OK, now I'm confused.  Before replacing the modem, I installed a Synology NAS.  I was forced to use a 10.0.0.x IP.

Following your instructions, I see the PC uses 10.0.0.9.

I can now log in to my router using 10.0.0.1 (intuitive).  That's progress.  I can see almost all devices.  That's more progress.

What happened to 192.168.1.x?  does it matter?

Now for my networks.  Using the Netgear web page>Basic>Wireless, I see two networks.  One 24Ghz and one 50Ghz.  Different channels, but both are labeled Netgear24.  However, in w11, I can connect to Network50-1.  The problem is, in this part of my house, 15' from the R7000, the signal is weak.  where is Network50-2 and how do I reconnect it?

Message 17 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

OK, now I'm confused.  Before replacing the modem, I installed a Synology NAS.  I was forced to use a 10.0.0.x IP.

I can now log in to my router using 10.0.0.1 (intuitive).  That's progress.  I can see almost all devices.  That's more progress.

The 10.x.x.x usually happens because during the setup routine the router sees another router on the network.

192.168.1.x is an industry standard, so the R7000 may have seen something already on that address, probably your Ubee UBC, 1322 and is trying to avoid conflicts. 

The manual for the R7000 explains this.

Does it matter? Not if you don't mind putting up with the sort of hassle that you are experiencing. Yes if you want a simple life.

Message 18 of 41

As a reminder, on my android phone, I still show 5 instances of Network2 - all with a strength of "?."  I don't see Network2 on the w11 list of networks.

Message 19 of 41
FURRYe38
Guru

The 10.0.0.1 on the  router is left over from the last configuration with your prior modem router that probably used 192.168.1.1 and the NG router changed to 10.0.0.1 to avoid the conflict as two devices can't use same IP address string. 

@required_alias wrote:

Now for my networks.  Using the Netgear web page>Basic>Wireless, I see two networks.  One 24Ghz and one 50Ghz.  Different channels, but both are labeled Netgear24.  However, in w11, I can connect to Network50-1.  The problem is, in this part of my house, 15' from the R7000, the signal is weak.  where is Network50-2 and how do I reconnect it?

Message 20 of 41
Kitsap
Master

@required_alias wrote:

As a reminder, on my android phone, I still show 5 instances of Network2 - all with a strength of "?."  I don't see Network2 on the w11 list of networks.

On your mobile device, manage your connections and "forget" the old instances.

Close the Netgear application.

Attempting to troubleshoot or configure a home router with a mobile application is folly.

Stick to a real computer with an Ethernet connection and use a web browser.

Message 21 of 41

@Kitsap wrote:

Attempting to troubleshoot or configure a home router with a mobile application is folly.

Stick to a real computer with an Ethernet connection and use a web browser.

Spot on there. Apps are designed to be "idiot proof" which means they are dumbed down and can't manage many settings.

There are times when people can't use a wired Ethernet link, but that does not mean that they have to use an app.

It isn't a great idea, but you can still use WiFi to manage the thing. Connect to the WiFi from the router, or whatever else you are playing with, and aim a browser at the usual address for the graphical user interface (GUI).

Message 22 of 41

On the android, I see "cannot be modified" for the network with the "?."

I have an R7000 on one end of the house and a R6050 set up as an AP on the other end.

I have strong signal throughout the house for 24.  I can't log in to either 50 network.  Signal nonexistent.  Again, within 15' of router or R6050.  How do I set up a 50 network and get signal strength?

Message 23 of 41

@required_alias wrote:

I have strong signal throughout the house for 24.  I can't log in to either 50 network.  

I may be losing the plot here, but I'm puzzled by the these "24 and 50"? What are they?

The SSIDs for the different bands (2.4 GHz AND 5 GHz)?

If the R7000 is in "Smart Connect" mode 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands have the same WiFi network name.

Message 24 of 41

"24" and "50" are the way they're identified in the android app.  50ghz.

I don't like both networks -24ghz and 50ghz named "netgear-24.." 

I presume I can disable "smart Connect" and give them individual names.

Message 25 of 41
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 40 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7