Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R8000 X6 Nighthawk “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection” during setup loop

Gutie-850
Aspirant

R8000 X6 Nighthawk “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection” during setup loop

I recently replaced a Cox router with a Netgear router. I have installed and connected it with my modem and as I connect to the Ethernet and WiFi (does not give internet), the pop up for routerlogin.net appears. It tells me that it is detecting if there is an existing router in my network. After that, it checks the internet connection. Here’s where the problem begins. I am given the option to use the NETGEAR Genie to help, however neither assist me. I attempted to configure by myself, but some of the options were limited as I was not connected to the internet. I couldn’t find a way to fix this, so i factory reset the router to see if I can change this. I ask the Genie for help and it brings me to a page telling me to power cycle my modem and correct a problem with the yellow Ethernet cable because there is a problem detecting the internet connection. Clicking either one will load a page that attempts to connect to the internet, yet it leads back to the same page. Clicking “None of the above” asks if my ISP gave me a static IP. I did not, so I click No. Then, it requests my computers MAC address. Trying to spoof this leads back to the “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection.” (this also appears if you click “I don’t know” on the previous page.) No matter what I do, I am stuck in an infinite loop of the NETGEAR Genie telling me it cannot connect to the internet. I’ve tried anything, please help and thank you for reading. I’ve provided an image to show what page I’m always led to.
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions

Re: R8000 X6 Nighthawk “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection” during setup loop

What modem sits in front of this router?

It is hard to read your solid slab of text, so I can't tell if you have started everything in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

When changing something on your network, it can also help to reset the modem and the router.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies

Re: R8000 X6 Nighthawk “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection” during setup loop

What modem sits in front of this router?

It is hard to read your solid slab of text, so I can't tell if you have started everything in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

When changing something on your network, it can also help to reset the modem and the router.

Message 2 of 7
Gutie-850
Aspirant

The modem is an AARIS SURFboard SB6141.

Basically the (very) condensed version of my post is that after setting up a new router, I cannot connect to the internet to complete setup, not even with a MAC Spoofing.

Following the steps you gave me loaded a different page, but it failed to load the page and redoing the steps after that didn’t even allow me to log into routerlogin.net
Message 3 of 7

@Gutie-850 wrote:
The modem is an AARIS SURFboard SB6141.

OK. Modem. Not modem/router which eliminates one possible cause of problems.

I assume that the modem on its own still connects to the internet.

Have you tried resetting the modem to factory defaults?

When you start a modem and router, they communicate with each other and save various settings. I have found with my DSL modem that I sometimes have to reset both devices before they will play ball.

Which ISP is this?

You could try searching this forum for a combination of the modem and the ISP. Someone may have climbed the same learning curve in the past.

There is a manual for the R8000 at the end of this link:

>>>>> R8000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<<

Message 4 of 7
IrvSp
Master

Something doesn't ring true to me? Your message appears to be either incomplete or you have described something you attribute to the Router that might be due to TROUBLESHOOTING on a Windows PC using the NETWORK TROUBLESHOOTER...

@Gutie-850 wrote:
I recently replaced a Cox router with a Netgear router. I have installed and connected it with my modem and as I connect to the Ethernet and WiFi (does not give internet), the pop up for routerlogin.net appears. It tells me that it is detecting if there is an existing router in my network.

OK, I think that is what happens when you use a Genie Mobile app to set up the router. Is this correct?

@Gutie-850 wrote:

After that, it checks the internet connection. Here’s where the problem begins. I am given the option to use the NETGEAR Genie to help, however neither assist me.

What EXACTLY did you see here at this step? What do you mean by 'neither'?

@Gutie-850 wrote:

I attempted to configure by myself, but some of the options were limited as I was not connected to the internet. I couldn’t find a way to fix this, so i factory reset the router to see if I can change this.

How did you attempt to configure it? What steps? What was limited? Where was it trying to go on the internet. I'll assume you were connected to the router using a Wireless connection, not a Wired one?

@Gutie-850 wrote:

I ask the Genie for help and it brings me to a page telling me to power cycle my modem and correct a problem with the yellow Ethernet cable because there is a problem detecting the internet connection. Clicking either one will load a page that attempts to connect to the internet, yet it leads back to the same page. Clicking “None of the above” asks if my ISP gave me a static IP. I did not, so I click No.

I never saw it do this? What 'yellow Internet Cable' are you talking about and where is it? You mean the cable between the modem and router? What is the LED colors like, off, on, white, orange?

What are you answering with 'None of the above'?

For the page, paste in the URL that you are looking ar please.

@Gutie-850 wrote:

Then, it requests my computers MAC address. Trying to spoof this leads back to the “Problem Detecting the Internet Connection.” (this also appears if you click “I don’t know” on the previous page.) No matter what I do, I am stuck in an infinite loop of the NETGEAR Genie telling me it cannot connect to the internet. I’ve tried anything, please help and thank you for reading. I’ve provided an image to show what page I’m always led to.

I've never seen a request for a MAC Address either? It seems it all points back to the modem and router are not connected OR the modem doesn't recognize your router?

I can NOT see any attacked file or screen capture.

It might be the MODEM needs to be reset, either by you or the ISP as it is looking  for the OLD router and will only connect to it? That was possibly the MAC Address it was looking for, but I wouldn't think Genie would ask for that, but maybe the modem?

Have you ever turned off BOTH the modem and router, then turned on the modem, and when it was fully up, the router?

Message 5 of 7
Gutie-850
Aspirant

I reset the modem to factory defaults, no change.

My ISP is Cox.
Message 6 of 7
Gutie-850
Aspirant

We reset the router, and only then it was able to work. I don’t know why the other times didn’t work, maybe something I did was wrong. I backtracked to the answers given by you guys and it worked. Thank you!
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7