Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

r8300 is Only getting 2Mbps

Arepollo
Aspirant

r8300 is Only getting 2Mbps

Roommate has this router, and is only getting <2 Mbps on speedtest.

For some background - we have 75Mbps internet, coax is connected to the modem which has an ethernet cable to the wall.  That connection goes into the patch panel where it plugs into a gigabit switch in order to feed the rest of the apartment wall ethernet ports.  My router(r7000) is connected to one of these and my game consoles are wired to it, I am getting ~70 Mbps speeds both wired and wireless.  My roommates router is connected to a different port, but the same way and is getting less than 2 Mbps.  I have tried duplicating the settings I have, making sure QoS is off and the like, but I am at a loss for why their wifi is so slow.  Since the internet is my responsibility in the arrangement I'm trying to figure out what else I can do to get the speeds to where they need to be.

Short version - both routers are connected to the modem.  One gets 70+ the other gets sub 2 Mbps.  Please help.

Model: R8300|Nighthawk X8 AC5000 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 21

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: r8300 is Only getting 2Mbps

Any specific reason for operating to routers at all?

Forget about crappy bridge or repeater operation modes, as you have a nice in-house network cabling. Keep all routing on the R7000, and operate the R8300 as a wireless access point (if really required)..

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 21

All Replies

What firmware version do you have on the device?

A number is more useful than "the latest". (It may not be by the time people read this.) There can also be newer versions, or "hot fixes", that do not show up if you check for new firmware in the browser interface.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

@Arepollo wrote:

For some background - we have 75Mbps internet, coax is connected to the modem which has an ethernet cable to the wall.  That connection goes into the patch panel where it plugs into a gigabit switch in order to feed the rest of the apartment wall ethernet ports.  My router(r7000) is connected to one of these and my game consoles are wired to it, I am getting ~70 Mbps speeds both wired and wireless.  My roommates router is connected to a different port, but the same way and is getting less than 2 Mbps. 

That is a messy network that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Maybe that is behind the speed issues.

Message 2 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

The modem is a Netgear c700 - modem only and not provided by the ISP.  The r8300 router is on firmware version 1.0.2.130, just checked last night for updates.  I double checked to make sure channels were not overlapping and right now the r7000 is creating a 192 network while the r8300 is creating a 10 network, so no overlapping IPs.

Message 3 of 21

@Arepollo wrote:

I double checked to make sure channels were not overlapping ..

That does nothing to fix the problem. It is irrelevant if you have to routers on the same network.

I repeat, you need to sort out the double-NAT issue.

Please go back and read ALL of the message I posted.

Message 4 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

I DID, and if you read my info, that is NOT how they are set up.  The modem has a line going to each router, they are NOT behind one another, so frankly that message seemd moot.  Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 21

That does not fix the problem.

The C700 modem does not exist.

Message 6 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

...?  The description you send of double NAT required the routers to be behind one another.  They are not.  Obviously this doens't fix the problem or I wouldn't be on this forum in the first place.  If you have a better description of what I can do besides just telling me it won't fix the problem (once again, obviously) then please share because clearly I'm not getting your point.

Message 7 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

And my apologies for forgetting a letter.  It's a cm700.

Message 8 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Arepollo wrote:

The modem is a Netgear c700 - modem only and not provided by the ISP. s.

When I understand things right, both routers are connected to the modem by using a GbE switch:

Modem (pure modem, no NAT) <-> GbE Switch <-installation-> Router A
                                                                             ...................-> Router B 

Your ISP does support connecting multiple computers/routers at the same time to a Modem?

Are both routers get public IP addresses on thier respective WAN/Internet ports?

Message 9 of 21

Quick self edit there. First it was a C7000 now it is a CM700.

I will leave you in the hands of Google:

How to Connect Two Routers on a Home Network

How do you connect two routers to one modem? - NETGEAR Communities

Or more:

two routers on one modem - Google Search

Sadly, the answer remains the same.

Message 10 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@Arepollo wrote:

The modem is a Netgear c700 - modem only and not provided by the ISP. s.

When I understand things right, both routers are connected to the modem by using a GbE switch:

Modem (pure modem, no NAT) <-> GbE Switch <-installation-> Router A
                                                                             ...................-> Router B 

Your ISP does support connecting multiple computers/routers at the same time to a Modem?

Are both routers get public IP addresses on thier respective WAN/Internet ports?

Yes - this is correct.  And I have comcast, as far as I know there are no restrictions on routers, only modems.

I'm not entirely sure how to check for the public IPs at this moment.  Time is just short this morning until I get home after work.  If you give me a couple items to check I can look into it then.

Message 11 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

Quick self edit there. First it was a C7000 now it is a CM700.

I will leave you in the hands of Google:

How to Connect Two Routers on a Home Network

How do you connect two routers to one modem? - NETGEAR Communities

Or more:

two routers on one modem - Google Search

Sadly, the answer remains the same.

God forbid people make mistakes?  At least I double checked.

And if I wanted to only be in the hands of Google I would have statyed there and not come to a specific forum.  Please get off my topic.

Message 12 of 21
schumaku
Guru

@Arepollo wrote:

... modem which has an ethernet cable to the wall.  That connection goes into the patch panel where it plugs into a gigabit switch in order to feed the rest of the apartment wall ethernet ports.  My router(r7000) is connected to one of these ...   My roommates router is connected to a different port, ....

Two NAT routers, no double NAT, ... but using the same (consumer) contract Comcast connection. The set-up can work - permitting both routers get public IP addresses and unrestricted access to the bandwidth you pay for ... or not.

In general, ISPs don't allow this, and only one computer or router can be connected to a modem.

Both community members answering here (@michaelkenward and myself) are located in Europe, so please check with Comcast on what your subscription or contract does allow.

Message 13 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

@Arepollo wrote:

... modem which has an ethernet cable to the wall.  That connection goes into the patch panel where it plugs into a gigabit switch in order to feed the rest of the apartment wall ethernet ports.  My router(r7000) is connected to one of these ...   My roommates router is connected to a different port, ....

Two NAT routers, no double NAT, ... but using the same (consumer) contract Comcast connection. The set-up can work - permitting both routers get public IP addresses and unrestricted access to the bandwidth you pay for ... or not.

In general, ISPs don't allow this, and only one computer or router can be connected to a modem.

Both community members answering here (@michaelkenward and myself) are located in Europe, so please check with Comcast on what your subscription or contract does allow.

Okay, I will look into this.  Would setting it up as an access point/bridge/repeater or the like be different if I had it connected through my router first?

i.e. modem -> r7000 -> switch -> r8300?

Message 14 of 21
schumaku
Guru

Any specific reason for operating to routers at all?

Forget about crappy bridge or repeater operation modes, as you have a nice in-house network cabling. Keep all routing on the R7000, and operate the R8300 as a wireless access point (if really required)..

Message 15 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

To be honest I don't see it but my roommates are adamant that the wifi connection from mine in the living room is not enough in their room and therefore they purchased the r8300. But they won't take just my word for it so I'm looking for options and backup.

I will try the access point route tonight and update with the results.
Message 16 of 21
plemans
Guru

Agree with what @schumaku and @michaelkenward have stated. In regard to comcast, they don't support going CM700-Switch--2x routers.  You have to have CM700--router and then either router in AP mode or switch setup. I'm on comcast so know that you'll have problems adding a switch after the modem. 

Message 17 of 21

@Arepollo wrote:

I will try the access point route tonight and update with the results.

Wise move. See above.

Nice to see that the other resident experts agree.

The good news is that the CM700 – the exact details are very important – is not one of those "modem only" devices that also provides limited router features that you have to disable when used with a genuine router.

Message 18 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

Agree with what @schumaku and @michaelkenward have stated. In regard to comcast, they don't support going CM700-Switch--2x routers.  You have to have CM700--router and then either router in AP mode or switch setup. I'm on comcast so know that you'll have problems adding a switch after the modem. 

The only way I have to get the connection from the r7000 to the r8300 is through a switch, unless there's a different mechanic to the patch panel in my apartment that I'm not aware of.  I can definitely go back to cm700 -> r7000 -> switch/patch panel -> r8300(AP).

This is the switch that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A128S24/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Technically I have 2 but the second is just for my consoles/tv in my room.

Also, will setting up the r8300 as an access point change what network it is broadcasting?  i.e. r7000 is broadcasting SSID 1, r8300 is currently broadcasting SSID 2, as an AP will it now only also broadcast SSID 1?  -this is more so I know how much crap I'm going to have to deal with for device configurations.

Message 19 of 21
plemans
Guru

You can do cm700->R7000->switch->R8300.  That should work fine but just put the R8300 in AP mode. AP mode disables the routing functions and lets the R7000 handle it. It won't change SSID parameters. Thats something you can manually change. If you're living in aparmtents (from the sounds of your prior correspondence), download a wireless scanner (either phone or pc) and use it to find the least congested. Here's an article that goes over benefits and how-to's of doing this. 

Make Use Of-Picking Wireless channels

Message 20 of 21
Arepollo
Aspirant

@plemans wrote:

You can do cm700->R7000->switch->R8300.  That should work fine but just put the R8300 in AP mode. AP mode disables the routing functions and lets the R7000 handle it. It won't change SSID parameters. Thats something you can manually change. If you're living in aparmtents (from the sounds of your prior correspondence), download a wireless scanner (either phone or pc) and use it to find the least congested. Here's an article that goes over benefits and how-to's of doing this. 

Make Use Of-Picking Wireless channels

Okay! Great news!  Setting it up as an access point worked!  I'm now getting almost max (~74Mbps) download speeds over wifi from the r8300.  Being able to convince my roommate that it wouldn't remove all the SSID settings and whatnot made me able to get the admin credentials to set it all up.  Now the apartment can be in peace and quiet because internet for everyone!

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7