Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Can't access router via 192.168.1.1

dalemwebb
Aspirant

Can't access router via 192.168.1.1

Xyxel C3000Z (CenturyLink) modem bridged to Nighthawk MR60 Mesh Router with one satellite.  Windows 11.  Microsoft Edge.

Something really screwed up my router settings.  Had to do a factory reset.  Set up the router using phone app.  Finally have internet back, but when I try to access the router via my browser (192.168.1.1) I get MULTIPLE requests to RESET password.  Have reset it half a dozen times.  Keeps happening.

Now I get a:  "Sorry, your timestamp is expired.  Please click the menu to re-enter the page." error.

Can someone help me access the router?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Can't access router via 192.168.1.1

Your ISP Modem already has a built in router and wifi. This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the NG router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the NG router gets from the modem. https://kb.netgear.com/25891/DMZ-on-NETGEAR-routers
https://kb.netgear.com/24086/How-do-I-set-up-a-default-DMZ-server-on-my-Nighthawk-router
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the NG router to the modem, LAN to LAN configure AP mode on the NG router.
https://kb.netgear.com/20927/How-do-I-change-my-NETGEAR-router-to-AP-mode
https://kb.netgear.com/000061927/What-is-the-difference-between-router-mode-and-AP-mode

Try Option#2 first. 

If the modem uses 192.168.1.1 then the MR maybe using a 10.0.0.1 address for it's web page.

Be sure to clear out all browser caches and remove any saved PW profiles from the browser as well. 
Use a different browser, MS-Edge, Firefox, Opera or Safari

Message 2 of 7

@dalemwebb wrote:

Xyxel C3000Z (CenturyLink) modem bridged to Nighthawk MR60 Mesh Router with one satellite.  Windows 11.  Microsoft Edge.

You say your modem is "bridged". Have you checked the "bridge mode" settings on the C3000Z? This isn't always a straightforward move. Different devices have different ways of going about it. That one looks to be a bit complicated.

It may be that it has settings that force the MR60 to opt for a different IP address. So rather than throwing a browser at 192.168.1.1 see if you can track down its actual IP address. (I assume that routerlogin.net doesn't work.)

If you can see the WiFi from the MR60 then you should be able to find its IP address.

Set up the router using phone app. 

You could try using a PC and a browser. You get  much more control and it is a heck of a lot quicker.

You could also check the firmware version – don't say which you are using – and update it if necessary.

Message 3 of 7
dalemwebb
Aspirant

You say your modem is "bridged". Have you checked the "bridge mode" settings on the C3000Z? This isn't always a straightforward move. Different devices have different ways of going about it. That one looks to be a bit complicated.

I don't remember exactly WHAT I did when I first set up the MR60.  I followed a set of instructions that I found on-lime.  I believe the modem is bridged; I can't get to the C3000Z from my computer/browser.

It may be that it has settings that force the MR60 to opt for a different IP address. So rather than throwing a browser at 192.168.1.1 see if you can track down its actual IP address. (I assume that routerlogin.net doesn't work.)

Windows says, "the default gateway is 192.168.1.1."  Windows was able to get to the router via routerlogin.net; it was there I entered the PPoP information.  Tried routerlogin.net again and was able to reach router.  

Thank you.

Message 4 of 7

@dalemwebb wrote:

I don't remember exactly WHAT I did when I first set up the MR60.  I followed a set of instructions that I found on-lime.  I believe the modem is bridged; I can't get to the C3000Z from my computer/browser.

That's one of the issue with "bridged" devices. They may not have an IP address that you can reach from the router. The instructions for setting up the C3000Z might have some clues.

Windows says, "the default gateway is 192.168.1.1."  Windows was able to get to the router via routerlogin.net; it was there I entered the PPoP information.  Tried routerlogin.net again and was able to reach router.  

Maybe that's a clue about the state of the modem. Could be that the MR60 isn't the default gateway.

If you can get into the MR60 you should be able to see an "Attached Devices" section with the IP address of the stuff connected to the MR60. It will also show the router's IP address.

Message 5 of 7
dalemwebb
Aspirant

If you can get into the MR60 you should be able to see an "Attached Devices" section with the IP address of the stuff connected to the MR60. It will also show the router's IP address.

Sorry.  I can't see the routers IP address on the Attached Devices page.  It shows the satellite (192.168.1.29), but don't see the router IP anywhere.

As long as I can reach the setup page using "routerlogin.net," I guess I'm OK.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Routers IP address will be on the Advanced Tab. Won't be on the Attached Devices page.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7