Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Cannot access router after upgrading internet with new fiber gateway

ppbkwrtr
Aspirant

Cannot access router after upgrading internet with new fiber gateway

Today I upgraded from broadband to fiber. I was given a new gateway modem/router. Technician plugged my mesh network into the gateway. Enabled bridge mode on the gateway. Every device in my house is connected either via ethernet or wirelessly through the mesh network.

I DO have internet.

The challenge I have is that I can no longer access devices on my network. When I enter the IP address of the mesh network (192.168.1.1), I am brought to the URL associated with the fiber gateway.

I have a Netgear ReadyNas, a PC, and a printer, all on the network, and I cannot access any of them now. The IP addresses that worked this morning (pre-upgrade) all time out. I am a photographer/videographer. I need access to my network to work.

I can confirm that I have access to the files on my NAS with File Explorer, but I cannot use my browser to connect to the admin panel. 

I am not an IT person, I know enough to be dangerous to myself. I am guessing that when the new gateway was installed, it caused a conflict with the mesh network and its IP addresses. I am probably very wrong, but it's my best guess.

I cannot spend all day trying to troubleshoot it. I have a technician coming tomorrow morning from the internet provider, but if I can get this fixed today, that would be best.

Can someone please offer a solution? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions

Re: Cannot access router after upgrading internet with new fiber gateway

@ppbkwrtr wrote:

The router automatically changed its IP address to 10.0.0.1, as well as all the IP addresses that connect to it.

This explains why I couldn't find anything on the network.

That happens when the modem/gateway is a router (not bridged) and squats on the 192.168.1.1 address that your Netgear router prefers by default.

The other stuff is a knock on from that.

Two easy options:

• Give the gateway a different IP address so that the Netgear router can use its preferred IP address
  • Tell everything else on your network that the gateway is in charge

However, I still cannot access the NAS admin page.

How does the NAS get its IP address? Is it something that you told it to use? (I do that to make my NAS easy to access.)

Does the NAS show up as an attached device in the gateway? Or can you see it in the Netgear router?

If it is there on the gateway, then you could try to use that IP address to access the GUI.

I had a friend remote in and he said the fiber gateway is NOT in bridge mode. I assume this will be fixed when the technician comes tomorrow. The page to access it is still not working, it is controlled by the ISP.

As I predicted, the gateway is not in bridge mode. If that doesn't met you control the thing, then you are lefct in the hands of the ISP's technician. Sadly, experience with those people is not great. ISPs hate it when customers want to use their own equipment.

At least you can now tell them what is going wrong. Keep on asking questions until they can explain what they are doing in ways that you can understand. As we say in the world of journalism "There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer".

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies

@ppbkwrtr wrote:

The challenge I have is that I can no longer access devices on my network. When I enter the IP address of the mesh network (192.168.1.1), I am brought to the URL associated with the fiber gateway.

That suggests that the gateway is not in bridge mode. It is still doing router stuff.

What is this gateway modem/router? Make and  model?

You could try putting your MR80 into access point point. The problem there is that it could scramble all your existing addressing.

If that fails, see if you can change the IP address that the gateway modem/router gives itself. At least you can get at its GUI.

If that does not fix the problem, then you may have to work out how to get the two routers to play nicely together.

If it is anything like my ISP supplied gateway modem/router, your device will have an option to put the MR80 into its "DMZ". This would then have the gateway modem/router on one IP address and local network (I use 192.168.2.1) and the MR80 on a different local network (192.168.1.1). In that way your existing set up will work.

Message 2 of 4
ppbkwrtr
Aspirant

Okay, so here's where I'm at now:

The router automatically changed its IP address to 10.0.0.1, as well as all the IP addresses that connect to it.

I have everything connected and working. I've assigned drive letters to folders in my NAS so I can access it.

The really odd thing is that when I look in the router for connected devices, the NAS is missing. It is on the LAN setup page, assigned 10.0.0.132. It's on and running and as I said, I can access the files from two computers on the network, I just cannot access the admin panel. (As an "that's odd" aside, when I use the Nighthawk app on my phone, it's there, but still under its old IP (192.168.1.132).)

I had a friend remote in and he said the fiber gateway is NOT in bridge mode. I assume this will be fixed when the technician comes tomorrow. The page to access it is still not working, it is controlled by the ISP.

So, TL/DR: I was able to access the router originally using routerlogin.net and get almost everything working. Still can't access the NAS. Is there a similar webpage type login for the NAS?

Message 3 of 4

@ppbkwrtr wrote:

That happens when the modem/gateway is a router (not bridged) and squats on the 192.168.1.1 address that your Netgear router prefers by default.

The other stuff is a knock on from that.

Two easy options:

• Give the gateway a different IP address so that the Netgear router can use its preferred IP address
  • Tell everything else on your network that the gateway is in charge

How does the NAS get its IP address? Is it something that you told it to use? (I do that to make my NAS easy to access.)

Does the NAS show up as an attached device in the gateway? Or can you see it in the Netgear router?

If it is there on the gateway, then you could try to use that IP address to access the GUI.

As I predicted, the gateway is not in bridge mode. If that doesn't met you control the thing, then you are lefct in the hands of the ISP's technician. Sadly, experience with those people is not great. ISPs hate it when customers want to use their own equipment.

At least you can now tell them what is going wrong. Keep on asking questions until they can explain what they are doing in ways that you can understand. As we say in the world of journalism "There is no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7