Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK83 Web GUI Unreachable

ryanv23
Aspirant

MK83 Web GUI Unreachable

My router was available prior to manage via a browser at 192.168.1.1 but now, while it's still responding to ping at that address, trying to connect via browser to manage the browser is saying 192.168.1.1 didn’t send any data.  Any ideas?

Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: MK83 Web GUI Unreachable

What browser are you using? Does this happen with a different browser? MS Edge or Firefox? 

Has a power off for 1 minute then back ON with the ISP modem and router been performed since last update?
Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:
Turn off and unplug modem.
Turn off router and computers.
Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
Turn on computers and rest of network.

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 7
ryanv23
Aspirant

Hello, why would you suggest restarting the modem?  I don't have an issue with the internet.  The internet is working fine for me now.  And, the internal LAN is working fine.  Again, I can ping the router I simply can access the web management interface.  I'm using Chrome.  It had been working fine before.  Thank you. 

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes the system just needs a complete power cycle. 

Can you access the MRs web page with a different browser? 

Be sure to clear out all browser caches before going to the MRs web page. 

Message 4 of 7

@ryanv23 wrote:

Hello, why would you suggest restarting the modem? 

Because you are operating a network, a tightly knit array of devices that have to play nicely together.

The router picks up cues from the modem. If it gets confused in any way, there can be knock-on effects down the chain. That is why Netgear comes up with useful troubleshooting procedures.

Look at Quick Tips on page 114 of the manual for your router:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it to connect.

It may not be necessary and may not even fix your problem, but it is perverse to ignore the first, and easiest, thing that you can do to regain control of the network.

You didn't answer the question about the modem/gateway/ONT that sits between the router and the Internet. That too is something that you may not consider important but that is in reality often the cause of problems.

Message 5 of 7
ryanv23
Aspirant

I restarted the router (only) and everything is working fine again.  I didn't have a chance to do that earlier, and was curious if a known actual issue was identified as to "why" this would happen in the first place.  No one likes the "reboot everything" answer.  There must be a reason why this happens and thus a way to prevent it (possibly with firmware.)

Side questions, is there a way to set the satellite APs to static IP addresses?

Thanks all. 

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Reboots are the best 1st course of action. Most are happy with this. 
Last course of action would be a factory reset and setup from scratch, which most are not happy to do. Does help resolve many issues. 

Could be anything, something on the network, devices, or data on the network that can cause problems or get the MR in a bad state. Some browsers can cause problems too. Why we suggest the user of other browsers while troubleshooting. 

Also sometimes after a FW load and problems are seen, if a factory reset hasn't been performed, one should be. Helps to ensure that any prior configurations or lingering old FW code that could cause problems in new FW and weeded out and setup again for the new FW. 

Can only reserve an IP address for the MS on the MRs web page.

Glad you got it working. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7