Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

MK83 defined as AP has orange light.

xeddog
Aspirant

MK83 defined as AP has orange light.

I have recently installed the nighthawk MK83 WiFi mesh.  The configuration I wanted was probably WAY out of the norm since I wanted the WiFi devices to have IP addresses on a Class A 10 net. This is mainly because I have a pretty darn good ASUS router already running, and it has a lot of configuration that would have to be transported, including DHCP reservations, VPN configuration, etc.  Well apparently, after spending a couple of hours on chat with Netgear support, that cannot be done.  I was about to box it back up and return it, but decided to get the user manual and go through it.  And there it was!  All I had to do was define the router piece as an access point.  Tadaaa.  Everything started running perfectly, and all of the problems I was having with my old system vanished. 
But now for the subject of this post.  All has been running great for a couple of weeks or more, and all three NightHawk devices, the MR80 and the two MS80s, all had blue lights on.  Now all of a sudden, after weeks of use, the MR80 piece has an orange light.

From what I can find out, the orange light means the router has no Internet access.  Well, since the MR80 isn't a router but is an Access Point, of course it has no Internet access because basically there is no router.  So is this a "normal" status, or does an orange light on an access point mean something different?  Since it is all still running perfectly, I assume the former.  And is there a way to make it blue?

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

Re: MK83 defined as AP has orange light.

Log into it. It wouldn't be the first time a device has had a firmware update and reset back to factory. Or switched back to router mode. 

Message 2 of 9
xeddog
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply. 

I updated to latest firmware right after installation, so it is current.  I just double checked the Netgear website and it is still the current version.  I rebooted anyway just because, and the light is still amber.  The lights on the MS80 devices have blue lights so it's only the MR80.  

Since everything is running great, I am going to assume this is a gigantic ghost in the machine (aka bug) and the world is going to end soon.  😁   Either that, or a very minor bug that is only annoying.  Probably the latter. 

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

How is the MR connected to the host router? Using the WAN or LAN port on the MR? 

What FW is loaded on the MESH system? 

What CAT# lan cable are you using? 

Message 4 of 9
xeddog
Aspirant

The MR is connected using the "Internet" port via a 25ft Cat5 cable to a Netgear ProSafe JGS516PE switch.  That switch is connected to my ASUS RT-AC5300 router via Cat 5E cable which is a bit long at around 50ft when the two devices are right next to each other.  That router is, of course, connected to my cable modem which is in Bridge mode.

I just moved the cable on the MR to one of the other ports and rebooted.  No change.

Firmware is V1.1.7.12_3.1.108

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try connecting the MR directly to the host router bypassing this switch. 

CAT6 is recommended. CAT5 is not rated for 1000Mbps. 

Message 6 of 9
xeddog
Aspirant

MR80 was moved from the switch to the ASUS router.  No change.  Regarding the cables, I have some cat6 cables somewhere.  My house is in quite a state of disarray for now (long story), but I do have some cat6 cable and connectors, so I can make them if necessary.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

Message 8 of 9
xeddog
Aspirant

Thank you for checking in, but no, nothing new.   I am considering opening a ticket with support but since it is working fine for me . . .

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7