Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

Unable to sync ms60 satellite to mr60

MoePa
Guide

Unable to sync ms60 satellite to mr60

I bought a Netgear Nighthawk MR60 router with a satellite from South Africa, but I couldn't find a local store selling the satellite. After contacting Netgear, they assured me that purchasing a satellite from the USA should be compatible. I then bought a second-hand MS60 from eBay in the USA. However, I encountered issues when trying to add the satellite through the app, as it failed to sync and the satellite light remained amber after flashing white. I tried placing the router and satellite next to each other, factory resetting the satellite, and updating the firmware by hardwiring it, but the issue persisted. Anyone with any solutions? When hardwired the satellite comes up as an attached device however it does not show firmware number on the screen and the light remains amber.

firmware is uptodate and when i manually login to the satellite it is the same version

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
MoePa
Guide

Re: Unable to sync ms60 satellite to mr60

Eureka, I have successfully synced everything and would like to share my experience to help others. Firstly, I reset the MR60 router and changed the Wi-Fi SSID and password to the Alien SSID and password, which can be found on the label at the bottom of the Alien satellite. However, I faced an issue where the original satellite (that came with my initial setup) could not be added. To fix this, I changed the SSID and password to the label located on the MR60, and then I was able to add the original satellite using the app. For the second step, I made sure that the Alien satellite was left on. Additionally, I turned off Armor. So, the trick is to change the MR60 SSID to match the labels on the satellites and add each one individually.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 19

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Try factory resetting the MR and MS then walk thru the MR setup wizard with a wired PC and web browser. When you get to the home screen try using the MRs Add Satellite feature on the MRs web page and see if the MR can get the MS to connect and sync fully. 

Message 2 of 19

Netgear insists that you use a mobile app to set up these Mesh systems.

If you look careful;ly at the browser graphical user interface (GUI) you should see an option to set it up with a browser.

If you haven't done that already, I'd try it. The app can't handle anything out of the ordinary.

Message 3 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

If you scroll down the page on the MRs 1st page, you'll see a link for if you don't have a mobile device. 

You don't have to set up the MR and MR using the NH app. Web browser is supported. 

Message 4 of 19
MoePa
Guide

Thank you for your suggestion. Although the web interface indicates successful synchronization with the satellite when I use the web interface method, the light on the Netgear device remains amber, and when I check the network map, it shows that the satellite is not connected.

Message 5 of 19
MoePa
Guide

I would prefer to avoid resetting the MR router as a last resort because I have configured multiple devices with fixed IP addresses, and it would be cumbersome to reconfigure them.

Message 6 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

See if there is a Generate Backhaul Password feature under Advanced tab/Advanced/Wireless settings. If there is, select this then reset the MS by pressing the reset button for 10 seconds then try to add the MS again using the MS Add Satellite WEB UI function. 

if this fails, a factory reset of the MR and MS will be needed. 

Message 7 of 19
MoePa
Guide

I will attempt to set the backhaul password over the upcoming weekend to avoid any potential disconnections during the week to the satellites. Does anyone know why I am unable to see the default wifi network that is displayed on the label at the bottom of the satellite, even after performing a reset?

Message 8 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible it's only seen by the MR, or the MS is faulty. If you got this of ebay, hope there is a return policy. 

Message 9 of 19

@MoePa wrote:

Does anyone know why I am unable to see the default wifi network that is displayed on the label at the bottom of the satellite, even after performing a reset?

Another thought on this one that arose when someone else was having problems introducing an "alien" satellite to an existing MK bundle was to turn off all other satellites to ensure that the only one that can talk to the router is the new one.

Maybe you did that already, I can't see from a quick scan of this conversation.

Message 10 of 19
MoePa
Guide

@furry32, just to clarify, I didn't attempt to disconnect the current satellite when trying to add the new one. However, I have since attempted to do so, but unfortunately, the new satellite still isn't being added.

May I ask a question or two? Should I press and hold the sync button for a few seconds, or is it sufficient to simply press the button? Also, when attempting to sync the router to the satellite, I noticed that the router is still flashing white while the satellite has already switched from flashing white to amber.

Message 11 of 19
MoePa
Guide

Eureka, I have successfully synced everything and would like to share my experience to help others. Firstly, I reset the MR60 router and changed the Wi-Fi SSID and password to the Alien SSID and password, which can be found on the label at the bottom of the Alien satellite. However, I faced an issue where the original satellite (that came with my initial setup) could not be added. To fix this, I changed the SSID and password to the label located on the MR60, and then I was able to add the original satellite using the app. For the second step, I made sure that the Alien satellite was left on. Additionally, I turned off Armor. So, the trick is to change the MR60 SSID to match the labels on the satellites and add each one individually.

Message 12 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Wow. Great work. I would not have guest to try that. Will keep this in mine. Thank you for sharing the details. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/24231/How-do-I-back-up-the-router-configuration-settings-on-my-Nighthawk-rout...
Enjoy. 📡

Message 13 of 19

@MoePa wrote:

Firstly, I reset the MR60 router and changed the Wi-Fi SSID and password to the Alien SSID and password, which can be found on the label at the bottom of the Alien satellite.

Neat. I wonder if it would have worked to find some way to tweak the SSID on the alien box to agree with the router and its satellites.

But that's just the lapsed physicist in me want to to experiment. It worked, which is what matters.

Message 14 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

There's no UI setting to change the SSID name on MS or RBSs. They all auto sync to either a default SSID from a MR or should sync with pressing the sync buttons. However seems that alien MS to a MR system may have other design issues which the user found a good working way around. 

Message 15 of 19
MoePa
Guide

Adding the satellite was not plug-and-play, and I bought it off eBay, which meant it was synced to another user's MR which may have contributed to it failing to sync. However, setting up an Asus AI Mesh and adding a satellite for my parents was effortless. If someone else encounters a similar issue, they might be able to solve it by changing the MR WiFi SSID to the Alien satellite without resetting the MR

Message 16 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

It only seems that taking a alilen MS from a different MR system and trying to connect it to a different MK system, seems to be the issue. I presume NG may somehow tie MS to an MR for setup reasons to a particular MR. May not be designed well to let alient MS connect to other MK systems that wasn't tied with initially. Otherwise, In most cases, MS that come with the original MR will not have any sync issues out of the box. 

Message 17 of 19
MoePa
Guide

It would be intriguing to observe if the separately sold satellites face the same issue. Additionally, I am curious about the impact of purchasing a pre-linked satellite and a satellite from a different region on the setup challenges I encountered.

Message 18 of 19
FURRYe38
Guru

Ya, I would think separate sold MS wouldn't see the same issue as I presume there are mosty blank and just waiting for the first sync up with any MR it connects too. Regional, ya, anything could be possible. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7