Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Nighthawk Mesh WiFi

Welcome to the Nighthawk Mesh Community

Advanced Whole Home WiFi Click to Buy Nighthawk Mesh WiFi 6

XR450 Router (existing) adding MK63 to expand coverage

Ardent11
Aspirant

XR450 Router (existing) adding MK63 to expand coverage

I believe I am overthinking things here, but stuck.  I have an existing XR450 router and I was told I could add the mk63 to it to create the mesh wifi throughout our home.  Last night I ran a line out from the XR450 to the MR60 and then synced the 2 MS60 satellites to that through the app as shown.  I was able to get that up and running, after renaming the network to the same as my existing.  However, I then noticed that the XR450 was no longer functioning at all for other computers hard wired into it.

So my question is would the MK63 system take the place of the XR450?  I am only looking to expand coverage in my house to accommodate for the low wireless signal areas (upper 2nd floor and garage).  I cannot find a single tutorial/walkthrough for adding the mk63 system to an existing nighthawk (XR450) router.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: XR450 Router (existing) adding MK63 to expand coverage

You can keep the XR router in router mode and install the MK series mesh in AP Mode for your better wifi system. Turn OFF the XRs wifi radios.

https://kb.netgear.com/000061710/What-is-an-Ethernet-backhaul-connection-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-m...

30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Or you could add a EX7700 series extender or two, too the XR and keep the wifi radios going here. I have two of these and when I use my XR450, I put the EX7700s online for additional wifi coverage.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?

Message 2 of 4
Ardent11
Aspirant

Do the EX7700's cause speed loss?  And are they just a plug-n-play type unit?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Not that iv'e seen however any Extender or MESH remote units will always have some dip in over all wifi performances. Distances, building materials and environmental noise can all be factors in how wifi works. Nature of the beast. 

Mostly plug in play, walk thru there setup routine to connect them is all. 

30 feet distance or more is recommended between a host router and extender. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7