Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: 1.0.9.64 Firmware Upgrade Advise

Hi Darren,

Is there an update on this issue? It's been almost three months now since this was released including many posts about various issues.

Tarun

Message 26 of 38
Highlighted
Apprentice

WARNING:

If you revert back to 1.0.9.42 from 1.0.9.60 or .64  your R7000 AP-mode will return in router-mode. That obviously will give issues.
So a clean config reset is required. Then reconfigure or load a previous old config. For me the last worked as I always keep configs with every change and upgrade.

This has been earlier reported and I can confirm it is a fact.

BTW: Now my network performs at lease well again. No flacky Wifi issues, slow speed or what so ever.

AP's: 1.0.9.42

Router: 1.0.9.28 (never deared to upgrade based on the many issues with later releases)

Bas.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 27 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

DO NOT UPGRADE R7000 to this firmware.  It reboots the router just like the other crap firmwares.

Keep this router on this one.

Current Firmware Version 1.0.9.42
Model: A7000|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi USB Adapter - USB 3.0
Message 28 of 38
Highlighted
Apprentice

I tried something and I can't believe it actually worked with the 1.0.9.64 firmware.

1. With firmware version 1.0.9.34 installed -- which had been rock solid for months -- I performed a factory reset via GUI.
  2. Upgraded to 1.0.9.64 after the initial setup to perform another factory reset from the GUI.
  3. Performed another initial setup to perform another factory reset from the GUI.
  4. Configured the router in full and it's been stable for almost 8 days (7 Days, 17.5 Hours)

I just thought I share my approach in case it helps anyone because I had similar issues with 1.0.9.64 when it was first released.

Message 29 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

If that's what it takes to get upgrades to work on these routers then the auto update feature is effectively useless.

Please let us know in the following weeks if your router is still stable.
R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 30 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

1.0.9.64 has an issue where DHCP dies and you have an invalid IP address and no internet access.  A reboot get it goping again.

1.0.9.60 was more stable for me.

And - I did do a full reset after installing 1.0.9.64 and manually re-entered all my settings.  It worked a couple weeks, then died.

I might suggest another brand router next time.

Message 31 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

I did a full reset after 1.0.9.64, and my router developed a new isseu with loosing DHCP and internet access.  1.0.9.60 was more stable for me.  I really hate netgear now.

Message 32 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I'm here to warn everyone who hasn't updated to 1.0.9.64 to LISTEN TO EVERYONE ELSE IN THIS THREAD. Don't repeat my stupid mistake and STAY on whatever firmware you're on.

The 1.0.9.64 firmware has been a huge waste of my time and in the end I had to downgrade to V1.0.9.42_10.2.44 (which took a few runs). The wi-fi network would frequently drop otherwise. I made the mistake not to note the firmware I was previously on but it was about 1 year old I guess and it worked just fine. I just went on a "update everything" binge last weekend and oh boy, I shouldn't have touched the router. Big mistake.

Absolutely mad at Netgear for this piece of junk firmware. I will NEVER buy one of your products again.

Message 33 of 38
Highlighted

Netgear has been non existent during this firmware issue. They've abandoned their customers. The worst thing they could do. This has been going on for months now. The next time I need a router it will be another brand.
Message 34 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

Version 1.0.9.64 came out in January. There's been a continuous stream of reported connection issues ever since. It's obvious every version since 1.0.9.42 is unusable. It's now June and not a peep from NG. They have given up on fixing the firmware for the R7000 and have effectively abandoned supporting this router. I zero confidence they will support their new WiFi 6 routers for any length of time if this is any indication.

R7000 is in the recycle bin
Message 35 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

I did the same thing, reset the router a couple times and installed .64 version.  The router needs to be re-booted now every 2 weeks.  It was fine prior.  This firmware version is bad!

Message 36 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

2 weeks??!!! You're one of the lucky ones! It's more like a few hours for me! How many wireless devices do you have in your network? (I'm guessing not many.) Not to mention that you're supposed to do a maintenance reboot every week anyway, so there!

Message 37 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

Maybe 5 or 6 wireless devices?  Maintenance reboot weekly, no way?

Message 38 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements