Re: 2.4Ghz stops working, 5Ghz fine.

Spuck20
Guide

2.4Ghz stops working, 5Ghz fine.

Just started doing this. 3 out of last 4 days, 2.4 connections stop working and new connections aren't issued ip' s. 5 ghz connections are fine and continue to receive ip's. Full reboot isn't every necessary to fix as just opening the Wi-Fi tab and clicking apply without any changes is enough to get it going again until about the next morning. Upgraded firmware last week but problem didn't start until some days later. Updated to even more recent firmware yesterday but obviously no luck this morning as the 2.4 connections were again dead.

Router has only been in service about 4 months. Too expensive to just be swapping routers every few months.
Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 103
William10a
Master

Try droping back three versions of the firmware to see if the firmware is the issue since it started shortly after the first firmware update and the second(newest) firmware did not help. that should place the firmware version you started with before the issue started.

If firmware related the problem should be fixed on the 2.4 ghz band since you said you that you can fix th 2.4ghz band for a short time by log into the router and playing in the its settings, hard to believe that it is a hardware issue.

Message 2 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

I have EXACTLY the same issue!!  I started having some issues with just random devices not being able to connect to the router, phones, tablets, chromecast... I'd reset the router and it was fine for a day or so, then randomly devices could not connect again.. 

Started happening after doing a firmware update last week.  I upgraded to the latest firmware last night hoping that may fix it, but it didn't.  After looking at my settings, several reboots etc, it finally hit me that the "random" devices that could not connect are all connecting on the 2.4ghz band.  All of my 5ghz connections are just fine.  Devices can all see the 2.4ghz network, but cannot resolve an IP address and connect.

I too have several 2.4ghz only devices so it's rather annoying to have to mess with this daily to get my printer, thermostat, and other devices to work.

The only other thing I noticed is that I also have a guest network broadcasting on the 2.4ghz band, and not the 5ghz band.  Wondering if having the the guest network endabled is causing a problem.  Guest networks were always troublesome on my past netgear routers.  I was extremely pleased that this Nighthawk has worked flawlessly for the last year, now extremely disappointed connection issues are cropping up.

This morning, as my devices could not connect, I went in and disabled the guest network.  Devices started connecting to the 2.4ghz channel just fine after disabling the guest network on 2.4ghz without having to reset the entire router this time.  If disabling my guest network doesn't solve things ongoing, I'll revert back 3 firmware updates and see if that helps, however the recent firmwares were supposed to fix security issues, so would like to keep the latest firmware if I can.

If I keep having issues over the next week or two, I think I'll look at the Orbi system.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

Well, leaving the guest network disabled on the 2.4ghz band did nothing.  The 2.4ghz band took a dump again this afternoon.  5ghz still works great though... 

Just went back three previous firmware versions.  Will see how that goes... If that doesn't solve may actually go to a Google Wifi after reading today that they have support for ethernet backhaul.. that might work great for my house actually.

Message 4 of 103
William10a
Master

I wish you good luck bad 2.4 ghz bands seems be the becoming the thing to post abouton many of different models.

Message 5 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

I see that after searching for a resolution. Not much for answers though aside from resetting to factory deafult and manually reconfiguring everything, which sometimes works, sometimes doesnt.

Shouldn't have to take a device back to factory resets to solve this. I really dont want to manually reassign all my device IPs.. I like each device assigned its own IP. I feel they connect more reliably and stay more stable.
Message 6 of 103
William10a
Master

I think the real problem layes in the coding of the firmware it's self hard to know for sure the nvram is holding data that should not or where the issues laids.

Message 7 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

Same here with V1.0.9.14_1.2.25. Wifi 2.4 stops working and 5 is working fine. I have this problem with the two latest firmware versions. I the past it was working great for months. Last two firmware versions not stable. 

Message 8 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

Yes, obviously it's a firmware update issue in the last couple updates.  I went back to the July firmware, and seems to be back to normal at least for the last half a day.  

All this messing around though, made me go pick up a Google WiFi 3 puck system to give it a try and see if I get any better results.  So far, I'm super glad I did!  It was extremely easy to hook up, and even at 5-10feet from the main hub, I'm getting 10-15Mbps more speed than my Nighthawk R7000.  At the farthest reach, I get my cap service speed, somethign I've never gotten in our master bedroom.  My service is 60Mbps, and I'm now getting 62-63 everywhere... at the furthest edges of the house I get 55-58.  Love it... 

My puck closed to the garage, I connected using the ethernet backhaul option, and wow.. i can get a solid signal with solid speeds all the way to the end of my driveway, where without the ethernet backhaul, barely got signal outside the garage. 

Very happy with the Google WiFi so far.. with speeds, and simplicity.

Message 9 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

I downgraded to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 half an hour ago. I resored the backup from that time and version, it's from october 2016. From that time it was working great for more than a year.

Steps I took:

- Flashed 1.0.7.2_1.1.93

- Reset router, back site little small hole

- Restored the backup which was made with same 1.0.7.2_1.1.93 version

- Added/Changed some minor things, port forwarding, reservations.

Lets see what it does now!!

Message 10 of 103
djjaeger82
Star

I'm up to >48hrs stable on 1.0.7.12 so far (reverted firmware and did hard factory reset using button on router).  So far so good!

Message 11 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

I went back to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 and seems to have solved my issues... the last 2 updates are where I still had problems... 

Of course, now I'm fully stable for 3 days, with much faster speeds consistenlty with my Google WiFi setup, so I think I'm sticking with that instead... 

Message 12 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

No luck for me, 2.4GHz down again, right now. It was up for almost 2 hours after the reset to 1.0.7.2_1.1.93. I don't get it. This version was great for months. The 2.4GHz still reply on a ping. How is that possible??? But no webconsole and smartphones still connected but no trafic possible. I am hopeless now.

Message 13 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

@tonybrown32 wrote:

I went back to V1.0.9.6_1.2.19 and seems to have solved my issues... the last 2 updates are where I still had problems... 

Of course, now I'm fully stable for 3 days, with much faster speeds consistenlty with my Google WiFi setup, so I think I'm sticking with that instead... 

So you use the Google WiFi and you disabled the R7000 WiFi???? You still use the R7000 as router or not?

Message 14 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

I reverted back to the older firmware, which seemed to fix my issues at least for the following 24 hours that I continued to use the R7000.  With the more recent firmwares, I could not go more than 4-5 hours without the 2.4ghz failing on me, and having to reboot the router.

I had already purchased the Google WiFi before trying an older firmware version, and since I had it in my hands, even though the R7000 was working again, I thought I would set it up and see how it compared... if I didn't see any real benefit, I would just return the Google WiFi and keep using my Nighthawk... 

So to compare them, I disconnected my R7000 and set up the Google WiFi.. they are not running simultaneously.  I took some speed and signal strength tests from varoius poitns in the house using the R7000 before I disconnected it... I then set up the Google WiFi and took some speed and signal tests from the same places in my house.  I checked areas that get low signal and slower speeds, as well as main areas that usually get great speeds.

I saw significant improvement in every area of my house using the Google WiFi compared to my R7000 in both speed tests and signal strength.  Google WiFi was faster giving me full signal strength and 58-60Mbps download speeds consistently compared to 2 bar signal and 30-40Mbps speeds using the R7000 in the far reaching bedroom in the house.  In good signal areas next to the main puck, the R7000 would only give me 50-55Mbps and the Google would give me 62-63Mbps on my 60Mbps service plan.... signal strength and speed was even better for longer distances form the sattelite puck I put in my kitchen when using ethernet backhaul feature. 

Previously I could not get usable signal outside my garage or halfway across my patio (they are both on the kitchen side of my house) using the R7000.  With the Google WiFi, I can place a puck on that side of the house now in the kitchen, and get good signal and speeds all the way to the end of my driveway, and all the way across my patio and into my back yard before I lose it.. Before, I had to keep my R7000 centrally located to serve as much of the house as I could, but then I would sacrifice the garage and patio signal strength and reliability due to distance from the router.  I have been longing for some better WiFi signal for streaming music on the patio, and for my SkyTrak golf simulator device I use in the garage in the winter, Google WiFi provides that.

Seeing those significant improvements, and experienceing the simplicity of the Google setup, it's really hard to go back to using the R7000 for my needs, as I don't do any fancy routing or port forwarding and such.. just need a simple and reliable network in my house.  Glad I tried it out before returning... although it did cost me $300 for these improvements.  

Another benefit, I wasn't sure I would like, is that it's also nice only having 1 SSID for the entire network with the Google WiFi since it accomodates both 2.4 and 5ghz spectrums on the same SSID... which can be something some people may not like due to lack of ability to force devices to a certain spectrum... but for me, if I'm getting the full 60Mbps that I pay for with Charter Spectrum, and a strong signal for reliability, I really don't care if it's on the 2.4ghz or 5ghz band... as long as it works...  Google auto routing has done a good job connecting all my 5ghz devices like my Rokus and FireTVs to the 5ghz band, so I have no complaints about the lack of ability to force a device to a certain spectrum... 

Message 15 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I need port forwarding to my raspberry pi. Maybe I need to buy another brand Asus or TP-Link? I had a 3700 3 years ago. It was also end of story with WiFi. Very strange the story is repeating. No more Netgear for me.

Message 16 of 103
tonybrown32
Guide

I just noticed the Google WiFi does have Port Forwarding rules capability in it's Advanced settings... they are probalby a little more simplistic, but it's available.. I don't really use it, so not sure how robust the features are.

It can also do DHCP IP Reservations for each device too which is nice... I like to reserve an IP for my printer and my mobile devicies since they are connecting and disconnecting from the network a lot... 

Message 17 of 103
Spuck20
Guide

Still haven't solved mine but haven't had time to put time into it.   Was out of town immediately after posting and work busy this week etc.  2.4 fails intermittently at no set schedule.  Has been up as long as 3 days and as short as 8 hours.   Was having to log in remotely while traveling to just hit "apply" to keep the household connected while I was gone. Truth is, I'm not positive that even needs to be done as I think that just going into the admin page kicks things back on.   I'll have to test that to see.  

Factory reset with the most recent firmware a day ago.  No go.  Had to retrigger it again today, so, going to try the step-down to an older firmware version.  What is the first version of it that is supposed to be protected against the command hack?   I knew I should have just left well enough alone and disabled the admin login rather than updating the firmware.   Blows me away that tech companies can issue so much buggy firmware.  

Model: R6900|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router
Message 18 of 103
ep2015
Apprentice

Netgear, will this problem be fixed or what?
Message 19 of 103
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

A new firmware has been posted. Please check and report back if same issue happens.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-18/m-p/1460...

Message 20 of 103
HWAM
Apprentice

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

A new firmware has been posted. Please check and report back if same issue happens.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/NEW-R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-18/m-p/1460...

Dear JamesGL,

Thanks for the info.

Why should I test this firmware? The release notes only mention about security fixes. I am on a an old firmware now after resetting and flashing 3 times. I'm stable for 24 hours now. It took me hours to get anything up and running again and I can't have downtime anymore. My familiy and office has big problems with issues. Who can garantee that the WiFi problems are fixed in this firmware?

I was hoping for getting more information about changes. But nothing. Not even a log. Why? Inform me and other users. Did Netgear introduce bugs? No problem, can happen, but tell what's going on.

Talk Netgear!

Message 21 of 103
ep2015
Apprentice

@JamesGL wrote:

Hi All,

"Fixes security issues."

But have any fixes been applied to help with the 2.4ghz connection problems?  I don't want to test a new firmware if it doesn't fix my specific problem - and it's become quite a significant problem. 

Message 22 of 103
JamesGL
Master

Hi All,

I have verified it from our engineers that the latest firmware includes the fix for wireless connectivity issue.

Message 23 of 103
gtdtm
Initiate

I've started having the same issues on my Nighthawk, but on the R6700 model. Same problem, same frequency (at least once per day), and same solution (reboot the router). I've only seen the 2.4ghz network drop, and not the 5.0ghz. Looking through the forums this seems to be quite widespread right now. I'm on firmware version 1.0.1.36_10.0.40. Will other models besides the R7000 be getting firmware updates to address this?

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 24 of 103
cmessina
Initiate

I've been on firmware V1.0.9.18_1.2.27 for less than 24 hours now and I've already had to reboot my router twice due to 2.4G clients losing connectivity.  It seems that the same issue remains and the newest version of the firmware has not resolved that specific problem.

Message 25 of 103
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E