5G Band Not Allowing Devices to Connect

Mahaneyme
Aspirant

5G Band Not Allowing Devices to Connect

I've tried a factory reset for the router and reset my modem but the 5G band still isn't working. It shows that it is available but after entering the password, it doesn't connect to devices. Not sure what else to do besides run the router over with my car. Please if anyone could give me another idea to try I'd really appreciate it!!
Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 7
Mahaneyme
Aspirant

Re: 5G Band Not Allowing Devices to Connect

I should note that I'm entering the default password so the problem isn't that the password is wrong, but it does say authentication error.
Message 2 of 7
antinode
Guru

> I should note that I'm entering the default password [...]

No, you shouldn't.  The non-psychics in your audience don't know
which "the default password" you mean.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Read.  Look for "Specify Basic
WiFi Settings".  What does the router say that its 5GHz passphrase is?

> [...] but it does say authentication error.

"it"?

Message 3 of 7
Mahaneyme
Aspirant

I meant, after resetting the router, the default password that can be found on the bottom of the router was used to connect. While trying to connect to the 5G band from my phone and computer, I enter the password (which at this point is still the default, provided password found on the router) and I get an error message on my phone/computer saying Authentication Error (as in, the password provided is incorrect). But I can connect to the 2G band using the default password (there is only one for both bands).

I hope this clarifies what I said in my previous post. Thank you!

Message 4 of 7
SizeMatters
Aspirant

Same exact issue is happening to me and it's frustrating. This might be an incredibly stupid question but could it have something to do with the roll out of 5g band mobile wireless networks, I know a few years back that wireless devices such as wireless microphones operating on a 1Ghz band were made illegal because the FCC reserved that bandwidth for cellphone use
Model: Dual Band
Message 5 of 7
Mahaneyme
Aspirant

I hope not! What a waste our routers will have become if that's the case. smh

Message 6 of 7
mrackow
Aspirant

The 5G on my router worked fine for about 9 months. Early or maybe mid-December 2020 it stopped being availble, despite settings on routerlogin dot net showing that it was broadcasting 5G.  If I would put my device within several inches of the router I could connect to the 5G, if I moved even 10 feet away it would disappear as an available network. I've since just turned it off and am using the 2.4 only.  I also went back to Firmward Version V1.3.2.126_10.1.66 in hopes it was an auto update or something that messed up what otherwise was a great situation, but no luck.  Any ideas out there on how to get 5G back?! 

Model: R6900P|Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E