Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

5ghz very slow with R7000 router

-tine-
Aspirant

5ghz very slow with R7000 router

Hi,

I am using the R7000 router at my home for some time now. Since the beginning the speed on the 5ghz band was very slow. First I thougt it might be a problem of my Iphone, but now I have to see that Iphone, Ipad and my laptop computer have severe speed limitations when using the 5g network. With the 2.4 I get download speeds aof 8Mbit, with the 5g no more thant 1Mhz.

Any suggestions ? I always used the current firmware, but saw no difference. There are not other 5Ghz networks in the house (I already checked).

Thanks,

Christine

Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Re: 5ghz very slow with R7000 router

Others have had issues with the 5Ghz channels with the version of firmware you have, they seem to have luck actually going back to the previous version, 1.0.4.28. You can get it here downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000

There is a beta firmware available, you can find the info here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/m-p...

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 17

All Replies
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What is the range of these devices from the router? Do they have clear line of sight?

What kind of ISP service do you have, what is the brand and model number of your modem please?

Message 2 of 17
mondenath
Prodigy

Ok did you try the below firmware . though it has nothing to do with your current firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/td-...

Also ignore iphone for now and see if you have 5ghz n or ac client and see the link rate for actual throughput as well signal strength.

In Iphone post a snapshot on 2.4ghz signal DB and 5ghz DB using the netgear analytics software. Also the graph which tell how many signal interferance in that area.

Message 3 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

I am using the devices in the same room with a clear line of sight of perhaps 5-8 meters. My ISP is a cable line (Vodafone Germany) with 32Mbit downstream, nevertheless I do not have any speed limitations when using the 2.4ghz signal.

I am using a netgear nighthawk R7000 router.

Christine

Message 4 of 17
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Thanks for the info. If you have a modem, can you tell me the brand and model number please?

Message 5 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

I did not try the firmware you mentioned, I am currently using V1.0.4.30_1.1.67  (no new one availabe, at least thats what the webinterface tells me).

I do not find a netgear analytics software on the app store, do you mean the netgear Genie ?

Signal strength of my 2.4ghz network (using inSSID) is -43, for the 5ghz -45 and -89 on the two displayes channels. The link rate for the 2.ghz network is 144Mbit, for the 5ghz 300-360Mbit.

I just did a speed test on an internet website, I get 32Mbit downstream using 2.4gz and 2.7Mbit using the 5gz one ...

Christine

Message 6 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

it is a Thomson THG520K, which I am using for quite a while already.

Christine

Message 7 of 17
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

OK, is there a good separation i.e. more than one metre between the router and other electrical devices, in particular the cable modem?

Message 8 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi Andy,

no, the modem and router are very close to each other. I will try to seperate them.

Christine

Message 9 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

I did move the router with no effect at all. Should I try the mentioned firmware ?

Christine

Message 10 of 17
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Others have had issues with the 5Ghz channels with the version of firmware you have, they seem to have luck actually going back to the previous version, 1.0.4.28. You can get it here downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/R7000

There is a beta firmware available, you can find the info here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-firmware-v1-0-5-44-limited-release/m-p...

Message 11 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

I will try downgrading first, but I am not really expecting any differences. I have the problems since I installed the router 1 year ago (with older firmwares ..) . Since now I solved the problem with ignoring the 5ghz networks and using the 2.4ghz ones, but I am not willing to accept that any longer.

I will post if I see any improvements.

Thanks for the help,

Christine

Message 12 of 17
rpoffen
Virtuoso

When changing the firmware, follow these steps..

Reset back to factory defaults

Setup the router just enough to get it functional where you can connect a PC to a wired LAN port.

Load the new firmware

Reset back to factory defaults again

Setup as you would for normal operation.

If this fails to fix it, then you may need to see if you can RMA it, perhaps the 5Ghz channel is bad.

Message 13 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

is it okay to save and restore my settings after up/downgrading the firmware ? Or should I do a complete new setup ?

Thanks,

Christine

Message 14 of 17
-tine-
Aspirant

Hi,

I downgraded to the .28 firmware and the 5ghz rates improved dramatically. After that I upgraded to the public beta, and it is working as well. So it seems to be a software issue with the current firmware. I hope my problems are solved with the upcoming firmware.

Thanks for the help,

Christine

Message 15 of 17
rpoffen
Virtuoso

Good to hear that it is working better.

As to your previous question, it is usually recommended to enter all the parameters from scratch. If you need to record what your settings are for reference, you can go to each page in the Genie web interface, and in your browser, save each page you want to save to your PC. In Firefox it is "File -> Save Page As..."

Message 16 of 17
04GTmustang
Aspirant

It's your phone. My iPhone has been Doing that recently as well on 5ghz it hits a brick wall when I speed test it. It all of a sudden stops at 30mbps. I pick up my android device and run the same test and get speeds at 90+Mbps. It's your phone for sure. I thought it was my router too.
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7