× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AX6000 / AC4000 constant disconnects

FDWAL
Aspirant

AX6000 / AC4000 constant disconnects

Hello there,

wanted to see if I can get some help here before I contact support.

I had an AC4000 and out of the blue I had constant disconnect issues. They usually last 30 seconds to 1 min maybe 1:30 min. It would connect right after this and the net is fine. When I do a speed test everything is fine.

1ms ping 300 up and 20 down. I can open 30 twitch streems at the same time and no issues.

All of a sudden it started to disconnect constantly throughout the day. Mostly at nights but some days even during the day. but very sporadic.

Sometimes it disconnects and re-connects 4 to 5 times in a row within 15 minutes. Some days its only once or twice a day.

The AC4000 is about 3 years old. I thought maybe it is shot and purhcased a new AX6000 (RAX120). Same devices connected as with the old router. Same issue.

When the internet goes out it completely looses the internet. My wried PC has no connection, the TV's and phones all have no connection at all. About a minute and it comes back. Since I had the issue with 2 devices now I contacted my internet provider. They came out and replaced my powerbox they use for their box outside the house that has a plug in going to my router ( network cable). Same issue after this for a week. They came out again and replaced the network cables. Same issue after this.

They said there is no issue at all ( I know they always say that ). But they have absolute outstanding customer service and are really trying to help. So they send a tech out again and he put a box between the network cable from their outside box and my router to monitor my internet connection. 5 day test and I have all the same disconnects. When talkingo to the guy today he said they cant see anything at all that dropped with connection. Everything he was seeing was fine. I even recorded date and time and he checked it and cant see anything wrong or any issues with the signal.

Now when I lose internet my router looses all lights it has ( with the exception of the power light - but wifi and cable lights for internet) and shows NO internet signal. And like mentioned before, it comes back within about a minute and works fine again.

Now I just could not imagine that both routers are faulty. He told me to update to the latest firmware. I did that when I purchased the router a few weeks ago already but checked for an update anyways and there is no update available.

I also tried a factory reset with the same results. Also did a reboot. I used the app for internet speed testing and it is showing the same as speedtest. When I lose internet my phone with the app cant connect to the router though until it gets the signal back. 

Guest WIFI is turned OFF. Traffic meter is OFF. Anywhere access is OFF ( I did try it with ON as well though ). SMART connect is OFF as well. 

2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz security method is WPA2- Personal.

Router Settings:

Hardware Version RAX120v2

Firmware Version V1.2.3.28

Only other thing showing on the app is Serial Number and MAC and IP Address.

Background to what I have connected:

1 PC with network cable, 4 smart TV's, 2 iphones, 1 ipad. Smart TV's NEVER run at the same time. Maybe 1 TV and the PC as well as the phones or ipad. I also have 3 smart bulbs on it. All this was conencted for about 3 years with no issues with the AC4000 before I purchased the new router as well.

My phones and the Ipad are connected with the 5Ghz and the rest with the 2.4ghz and I tried to put the TV's on the 5ghz as well but had the same results.

Now I am at a complete loss of what to do as I depend on my net for my small home business. I thought maybe something was wrong with the settings, but that would not explain the old router with the same issues.

I tried to find something similar online and all I can find are older posts that talk about the firmware. but I have it updated.

I estimate my problems started about 2-3 months ago. 

Any help would be absolutely appreciated. Sorry for the long rambling btu I tried to explain to the best of my ability to explain what I have for issues and equipment 🙂 

Model: RAX120|Nighthawk AX12 12-Stream WiFi Router
Message 1 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

Re: AX6000 / AC4000 constant disconnects

I just went in to the admin log section and I found some areas that I think are hackers trying to logon or do something? Not sure what I can post here because I dont want to give any of my info away but I will paste some part of the log.

Maybe this helps identify the issue and a fix for it???

[DoS Attack: RST Scan] from source: 210.245.54.217, port 22825, Monday, December 06, 2021 17:01:58
[DoS Attack: TCP/UDP Chargen] from source: 71.6.167.142, port 29921, Monday, December 06, 2021 16:34:03

[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 95.217.31.46, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 15:42:50
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 95.217.31.46, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 15:35:14
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 95.217.31.46, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 15:12:50

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.122, port 6264, Monday, December 06, 2021 14:47:59
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.146, port 26152, Monday, December 06, 2021 14:45:51

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.59, port 5562, Monday, December 06, 2021 14:05:19
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.204, port 2029, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:58:37
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 194.126.144.113, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:48:07
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.59, port 5562, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:47:20

[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.59, port 5562, Monday, December 06, 2021 14:05:19
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.204, port 2029, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:58:37
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 194.126.144.113, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:48:07
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.59, port 5562, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:47:20
[Internet connected] IP address: 00.00.000.00, Monday, December 06, 2021 13:10:19
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 91.220.101.92, port 80, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:56:36
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.204, port 14805, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:52:14
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.204, port 14805, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:45:11
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 95.217.31.46, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:42:37
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 170.33.9.35, port 11119, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:39:08
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 168.119.232.76, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:38:28
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 64.58.239.204, port 14805, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:23:19
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 95.217.31.46, port 443, Monday, December 06, 2021 12:18:36

And right after a few of them show up it is showing the following:

[Internet connected] IP address: 00.00.000.00, Monday, December 06, 2021 14:10:20

I obvioulsy removed my IP

So does that mean I am getting DDOSed? Or what ever that is called? If yes, what are my options to stop this? Have my ISP change my IP?

Message 2 of 20

Netgear's firmware is great at creating false reports of DoS attacks. Many of them are no such thing.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – DoS attacks

Use Whois.net to see who is behind some of them and you may find that they are from places like Facebook, Google, even your ISP.

Here is a useful tool for that task:

IPNetInfo: Retrieve IP Address Information from WHOIS servers

If these events are slowing down your router, that may be because it is using up processor time as it writes the events to your logs. Anything that uses processor power – event logging, QoS management, traffic metering – may cause slowdowns. Disable logging of DoS attacks and see if that reduces the problem. This does not prevent the router from protecting you from the outside world.

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

Nighthawk Routers with WiFi 6 (AX) - NETGEAR Communities

I will ask the Netgear moderator to move your message.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 3 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

Thank you so much for your time and response.

Yeah I looked over the Documentation before. 

My connection never slows down at all. It just dies instantly. And it comes back just as sudden 30 seconds to 1 minute later. When I look over the logs it seems as some of the IP's I looked up are in Asia and some are in the USA. 

If I check " Disable Port Scan and DoSProtection", will this only turn off the logs or will this turn off the protection all together? I seen this recommended on some other threads on here but didnt want to disable it as I wasnt sure which exactly it does.

Message 4 of 20

@FDWAL wrote:

If I check " Disable Port Scan and DoSProtection", will this only turn off the logs or will this turn off the protection all together? I seen this recommended on some other threads on here but didnt want to disable it as I wasnt sure which exactly it does.

There are two settings. One disables the logs:

Advanced >> Administration >> Logs >> Known DoS attacks and Port Scans 

the other disables the protection.

Advanced >>Setup >> WAN Setup

Many people run without DoSProtection and with no ill effects.

There is some debate as to what each achieves. The aim appears to be that either of these operations can involve processor power. If that overloads the router, then you can see the slow down and disruptions that you describe.

This is mostly conjectural. Trial and error – or suck it and see – seems to be the strategy.

Message 5 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

Here is a screenshot of what my ISP send me after they put the switch in to monitor my network. It seems as if the router keeps rebooting or something as it is kicking eth1 port out all the time.

So it is definitely not the ISP.

I put a ticket in with Netgear and see what they say. I might have to switch to a different brand if they cant fix it as it is 2 different Netgear devices with the same issue. 

Thank you for your help.thumbnail.png

Message 6 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

thumbnail.png

Message 7 of 20

That is beyond my analytical skills.

Message 8 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model# ISP modem or ONT is the router connected to normally? Or is there just a wall jack? 

You saw you had an AC class router that did same thing? If so, I would presume ether something on the ISP side mabye causing these reboots or maybe something on the LAN side. I'd turn OFF ALL devices accept for 1 wired PC. Disable the wifi radios on the router and run the router as simple as possible with the 1 wired PC and see if these reboots still happen. 

Do you have a friend or family member or a nieghbor that you can take the router to a different location to see if the problem follows or not? 

@FDWAL wrote:

Hello there,

wanted to see if I can get some help here before I contact support.

I had an AC4000 and out of the blue I had constant disconnect issues. They usually last 30 seconds to 1 min maybe 1:30 min. It would connect right after this and the net is fine. When I do a speed test everything is fine.

1ms ping 300 up and 20 down. I can open 30 twitch streems at the same time and no issues.

All of a sudden it started to disconnect constantly throughout the day. Mostly at nights but some days even during the day. but very sporadic.

Sometimes it disconnects and re-connects 4 to 5 times in a row within 15 minutes. Some days its only once or twice a day.

The AC4000 is about 3 years old. I thought maybe it is shot and purhcased a new AX6000 (RAX120). Same devices connected as with the old router. Same issue.

When the internet goes out it completely looses the internet. My wried PC has no connection, the TV's and phones all have no connection at all. About a minute and it comes back. Since I had the issue with 2 devices now I contacted my internet provider. They came out and replaced my powerbox they use for their box outside the house that has a plug in going to my router ( network cable). Same issue after this for a week. They came out again and replaced the network cables. Same issue after this.

They said there is no issue at all ( I know they always say that ). But they have absolute outstanding customer service and are really trying to help. So they send a tech out again and he put a box between the network cable from their outside box and my router to monitor my internet connection. 5 day test and I have all the same disconnects. When talkingo to the guy today he said they cant see anything at all that dropped with connection. Everything he was seeing was fine. I even recorded date and time and he checked it and cant see anything wrong or any issues with the signal.

Now when I lose internet my router looses all lights it has ( with the exception of the power light - but wifi and cable lights for internet) and shows NO internet signal. And like mentioned before, it comes back within about a minute and works fine again.

Now I just could not imagine that both routers are faulty. He told me to update to the latest firmware. I did that when I purchased the router a few weeks ago already but checked for an update anyways and there is no update available.

I also tried a factory reset with the same results. Also did a reboot. I used the app for internet speed testing and it is showing the same as speedtest. When I lose internet my phone with the app cant connect to the router though until it gets the signal back. 

Guest WIFI is turned OFF. Traffic meter is OFF. Anywhere access is OFF ( I did try it with ON as well though ). SMART connect is OFF as well. 

2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz security method is WPA2- Personal.

Router Settings:

Hardware Version RAX120v2

Firmware Version V1.2.3.28

Only other thing showing on the app is Serial Number and MAC and IP Address.

Background to what I have connected:

1 PC with network cable, 4 smart TV's, 2 iphones, 1 ipad. Smart TV's NEVER run at the same time. Maybe 1 TV and the PC as well as the phones or ipad. I also have 3 smart bulbs on it. All this was conencted for about 3 years with no issues with the AC4000 before I purchased the new router as well.

My phones and the Ipad are connected with the 5Ghz and the rest with the 2.4ghz and I tried to put the TV's on the 5ghz as well but had the same results.

Now I am at a complete loss of what to do as I depend on my net for my small home business. I thought maybe something was wrong with the settings, but that would not explain the old router with the same issues.

I tried to find something similar online and all I can find are older posts that talk about the firmware. but I have it updated.

I estimate my problems started about 2-3 months ago. 

Any help would be absolutely appreciated. Sorry for the long rambling btu I tried to explain to the best of my ability to explain what I have for issues and equipment 🙂 

Message 9 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

4 days .... My ticket is open for 4 days now with no response.

I return that junk and get a different brand. This is brand is a joke.

Message 10 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

6 days and no response... lets keep counting for everyone watching....

Message 11 of 20

Don't know what response you expect. Most of this conversation is meaningless, not helped  by unanswered questions. If you want official support from Netgear, you are in the wrong place.

You should know that this community is essentially a user-to-user venue with some input from a small band of Netgear techies.

Most of the answers come from fellow users who have no connection with Netgear. They just have a lot of collective experience and are familiar with the sort of problems that turn up here.

If you want "official" support then you should go through the right channels.

Contact Us | Support | NETGEAR

Message 12 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

Pretty sure I put this in my comment:

"""I put a ticket in with Netgear and see what they say. I might have to switch to a different brand if they cant fix it as it is 2 different Netgear devices with the same issue. """

So since you dont know what I want...

I posted that they have not responded in 7 days now to my ticket. I am posting that to warn others off from this terrible "Terrible Customer Service" and brand.

Thought that was clear.

Since I was searching for help on Google and this board was one of the things coming up.... I thought it prudent to let people know how long they truely have to wait to get help from this company. And how many KNOWN issues their devices have.

Message 13 of 20
MStieb
Aspirant

Having same problems with client's network.  Did you purchase a different brand router and did it solve the problem?

Thanks!

Michael

Message 14 of 20

@MStieb wrote:

Having same problems with client's network.  Did you purchase a different brand router and did it solve the problem?

I fear that "same problems" could mean many things. The same symptoms can be down to many reasons.

The "AX6000" referred to in the original subject is not a Netgear model number. Is this the RAX120v2?

The person who posted the question never did get around to answering several questions.

You have joined a conversation that wasn't see any traffic for a month now.

You might do better to start your own conversation.

Message 15 of 20
MStieb
Aspirant

Well, thanks for the recommendation to start new thread.  HOWEVER, his problem is IDENTICAL to mine with SAME router.  ISP ran same tests and dumped it back on me and my client.  His experience outweighs your welcomed thoughts.

I ask again of the OP, what did you do if the problem was solved by some action you took?

Michael

Message 16 of 20
FDWAL
Aspirant

You are better of not listening to people on here. Other then the same canned response they send to everyone you get no help.

As far as Netgear and my issue goes, they still have not fixed the issue. They send a replacement unit and I am having the same issues still.

The tech support is extremely slow. They usually respond about midnight to the ticket and answer the question or give you the next hoop to jump through. They are based in another country / time zone, so its not really their fault but Netgear itself.

If they ever get it figured out I'd be happy to post here and let you know wha they did to fix it. 

Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

@FDWAL 

What brand and model# ISP modem or ONT is the router connected to normally? Or is there just a wall jack? 

You saw you had an AC class router that did same thing? If so, I would presume ether something on the ISP side maybe causing these reboots or maybe something on the LAN side. I'd turn OFF ALL devices accept for 1 wired PC. Disable the wifi radios on the router and run the router as simple as possible with the 1 wired PC and see if these reboots still happen. 

Do you have a friend or family member or a nieghbor that you can take the router to a different location to see if the problem follows or not? 

Message 18 of 20
MStieb
Aspirant

Well, I do have confirmation of a reboot via inspection of the log file. We stayed up all night after factory reset.  It ran fine for about 5 hours and then everything dropped.  I had three computers running ping -t>c:\Temp\pingtest*.txt. One wired to router, one wireless to router, and one wired to router pinging the first hop.  Of course the two of us were working and at 5:06am we both dropped internet.  Ping test failed on all three. The only thing left to look at was router log file.  The only useful thing was the logging of router boot sequence at 5:07am.  A log file is useless if it starts over after reboot.  It won't log the error.

The only things I can think of in my delerious state having not slept since I woke up Wednesday moring are, me and the OP are using the same ISP supplied Cable Modem and it send a nasty message to Netgear Routers explaining  why the OP had same problem with the 4000 Netgear router and (2) 6000s.  The fans in these three routers are dying because they are crap and the router is overheating.

At this point, it pains me to come to the conclusion that I can't blame this on the ISP, I love being right in the end of my battles with them.  And, we fought a hard, long battle with them to fix our 1 Mbit problem, they got us to the rated 1000 Mbt service at the modem.

So, I can indeed confirm that the router is rebooting. The OP is vindicated in his diagnosis of symptoms of the 6000.  Since I don't have the 4000, I can't confirm that one.

Cheers!

"I drank what?" - Socrates

Message 19 of 20
MStieb
Aspirant

Well, not a single reboot or drop since we installed Linksys Mesh 6E system throughout the house.  getting 750= Mb/s thoughout the house. Been going for 4 days now, no issues.

Cheers!

"I Drank What?" - Socrates

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7