Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adjust router to accept new 1 gig isp or gigaone from cableone

Silverfox67
Aspirant

Adjust router to accept new 1 gig isp or gigaone from cableone

Hi, I have a question for you. I have a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 R8000. I have been using Cable One at 100 mhz. I just upgrade to GigaOne but the fastest speed I can get is about 500 mhz. I also upgraded my moden to a Netgear CM700. Did anyone have to reset your router when you moved up to GigaOne? If you did, can you please share what adjustment you made to get the router to run as close to 1 gig as possible. Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 20

Accepted Solutions
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Re: Adjust router to accept new 1 gig isp or gigaone from cableone

Thanks to All for your Help and Support.  The problem is fixed.

1.  I did a factory reset of the router.  When I tried to do the install the router stated that there was another router between the modem and the netgear router?

2.  When the tech did the install of the Arris DG3270 he stated that it was a modem/router and that he would have to disable the router.

3.  I called CableOne support and they said it looks like the router was disabled but they could not explain the error message.  Support then put the modem in the bridge mode and did an additional disable of the router and rebooted the modem twice.

4.  So between the factory reset and the changing of the Arris DG3270 to the bridge mode and re-disabling of the router the problem is solved.

I now have 935 Mbps down and 53 Mbps up.  Nice!

I am interested if there is going to be a firmware up grade of the Netgear CM700?  If anyone hears anything, please forward it.

I hope that this will help anyone in the future upgrading to CableOne and GigaOne.

Thanks again for all your time and help.  I really appreciate it.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 20

All Replies
netwrks
Master

I have been using Cable One at 100 mhz. I just upgrade to GigaOne but the fastest speed I can get is about 500 mhz. I suspect you are talking about 100 Mbps and 500 Mbps. Since the CM700 is a docsis 3.0 modem, that may be the reason you cannot achieve gigabit speeds. Either way, check with you ISP to see what modem they sanction for gigabit. Not sure the R8000 can support gigabit either. Best way to test that you are getting what you are paying for, is to connect a laptop with a 1000Mbps NIC card and test your connection.  I'm sure others will chime in. 

Message 2 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply!  Yes, you are correct, I meant 100Mbps and 500 Mbps.  Cable One recommends Netgear CM700 or Arris Surfboard sb6190 for gigaone.  The cable one tech got about 980 Mbps straight out of the modem.  He also said that they had several folks using the Nighthawk but they had to adjust some setting (he did not remember as it had been a while back and they do not mess with routers).  So I know that I have the gigaone connection and speed.  I just don't know what or how to adjust the nighthawk to run at that speed.  Thanks again!

Message 3 of 20
William10a
Master

The r8000 says it has 1gb lan ports as you said they will need a computer with a 1gb lan port connected direct to the modem to know their internet connection speed. I have found that the speed shown by the web site you use can be very different from one to another using the same connection on your network  

Message 4 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply and help.  My main work computer (PC i7 24 megs of ram) has two Realteck PCIe GBE Family Controllers.  I am thinking that that card should be able to handle the highest speed from the router.  I am now thinking that I need to test the speed from the router to the computer.  That will pin down the router or the computer.  But, I am leaning more towards the router as the network card should be able to handle it besides the fact that the cableone tech said they had to make some kind of adjustment to the router.  I appreciate your help!

Message 5 of 20
William10a
Master

Qos could be the a issue thinking about it if you are using qos and set it up when you had the lower internet speed you may need to reset the qos settings the router's may not know about the new internet speed just a idea.

Message 6 of 20
TheEther
Guru

The Nighthawks can only achieve near Gig speeds when all fancy features are disabled.  This includes QoS (but leave WMM on), traffic metering, MAC address filtering, MAC address cloning, URL blocking, block services and port forwarding/triggering (only the forwarded ports are affected, AFAIK).  Disable all of these features and reboot to make sure the router comes up with these speed-robbing code paths disabled.  Then retest speeds.

Message 7 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

I went in and adjusted Qos to the new upload and download speeds.  I saved, logged out, and rebooted the router.  Same speeds as before, no change.  Thanks for your suggest though.  I thought that would be a great easy fix.

Message 8 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Hello TheEther.  I have turned off all that I could find:  Qos, traffic metering, port forwarding/triggering, but I could not find:  MAC address filtering, MAC address cloning, URL blocking.  Can you give me some direction on these?  Thanks!  The download speed is around 525.37 Mbps and the upload is around 53.39 Mbps.

Message 9 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Hey Silverfox, was perusing this thread, and had a few rudimentary questions.  

How did your tech measure the speed from the cable modem to your computer?  Did he use the Ethernet cable connected to the router from the modem and bypass the modem altogether?  Were you able to see the utility he used to measure the speed (i.e. speedtest.net), and are you able to replicate that procedure and obtain the same results?

If you are able to reproduce a consistent near 1 GB speed doing that, then put your set up back the way it is currently, and make sure you have at least a Cat 5e Ethernet cable connecting your computer to the R8000 router ( A Cat 6 cable would be great if you had that). Just a regular Cat 5 cable is not capable of 1 GB speeds. 

If the above holds true, have you tried connecting the Ethernet cable from your computer to any of the other LAN ports on the R8000, just to rule out a non cooperative port situation? I'm gravitating more towards the cables, and computer's NIC (setting/drivers) at this juncture, until they're ruled out of the equation, if you can validate for yourself that you are getting close to 1 GB speeds from your cable modem directly to your computer.  Then it would be time to scrutinize the R8000.

At 1 GB speeds, I haven't really seen QOS on/off making a significant dent in performance either way - at least on the Asus router that I came from before purchasing a NetGear. It was more effective prioritizing bandwidth & throughput to specified devices when you purchased a lower bandwidth level of service from your internet provider.  Netgear's algorithm may be different though, who knows?  Good luck.

Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes you'll need a new modem thats DOCSIS 3.1 supporting. The CM700 and SB 6190 maybe supported however there are problems with the chip sets othese modems:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mis...

and https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31122204-SB6190-Puma6-TCP-UDP-Network-Latency-Issue-Discussion and https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31340594-ALL-SB6190-and-CM700-latency-fix-firmware-ready-to-test

I don't know if C1 is supporting the Arris SB8200 yet. This modem is Broadcom based and not Intel based which where the problem is with Intel based modems. 

Also technically, some home class routers can't actually handle ISP speeds over 500-800Mb due to router CPU and routing design. QoS would not be needed for 1Gb ISP speeds or shouldn't be needed. QoS may not be able to handle the routing speeds for 1Gb ISP speeds. 

@Silverfox67 wrote:

Thanks for your reply!  Yes, you are correct, I meant 100Mbps and 500 Mbps.  Cable One recommends Netgear CM700 or Arris Surfboard sb6190 for gigaone.  The cable one tech got about 980 Mbps straight out of the modem.  He also said that they had several folks using the Nighthawk but they had to adjust some setting (he did not remember as it had been a while back and they do not mess with routers).  So I know that I have the gigaone connection and speed.  I just don't know what or how to adjust the nighthawk to run at that speed.  Thanks again!

Message 11 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Thanks to All for your Help and Support.  The problem is fixed.

1.  I did a factory reset of the router.  When I tried to do the install the router stated that there was another router between the modem and the netgear router?

2.  When the tech did the install of the Arris DG3270 he stated that it was a modem/router and that he would have to disable the router.

3.  I called CableOne support and they said it looks like the router was disabled but they could not explain the error message.  Support then put the modem in the bridge mode and did an additional disable of the router and rebooted the modem twice.

4.  So between the factory reset and the changing of the Arris DG3270 to the bridge mode and re-disabling of the router the problem is solved.

I now have 935 Mbps down and 53 Mbps up.  Nice!

I am interested if there is going to be a firmware up grade of the Netgear CM700?  If anyone hears anything, please forward it.

I hope that this will help anyone in the future upgrading to CableOne and GigaOne.

Thanks again for all your time and help.  I really appreciate it.

Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you found the problem. Yes, having a modem with a built in router is not ideal for using with a external router like NG. Can cause speed and other problems. 

ISPs will be handling any cable modem FW updates. If any issues found by Intel and NG, it will need to be addressed by Intel then tested by NG then tested again by the ISPs. 

I'm on C1 however 100/3 is fine for me at this time. 

Message 13 of 20
Mighty_Putty
Apprentice

Thanks for updating.  This one had my curiousity piqued.  For some reason, I thought it was a CM700 --> R8000 --> Home Network.  Didn't realize an Arris DG3270 modem/router combo was involved.  Good luck, and enjoy your router and especially, your Gigabit network 🙂

Message 14 of 20
William10a
Master

The modem routers supplied by isps suck they lack features and the most part controlled by the isp.

Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Which isn't changing anytime soon. ISPs will control FW updates on any modem thats connected to there system. FW does come from Modem Mfrs and chipset Mfrs first, then final testing is done at the ISP level before pushing too customers. 

However the CM600, CM1000, SB 6180, 6183 and 8200 are good modems. 

Modems don't need alot of features when used with an external router. Stand alone modem is preferred with a external router rather than a model router combo. 

Message 16 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

You're welcome and the tech put in the Arris DG3270 until my Netgear CM700 arrived.  It arrived today and all is up and running.  Thanks for your help!

Message 17 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

I agree and they only utilize certain ones so we are limited... 😞

Message 18 of 20
Silverfox67
Aspirant

Thanks and we will just have to wait and see on any FW upgrades.  The ISP limits modes they support and that sucks!  It is now a stand alone modem, my Netgear CM700 came today.  So I have the CM700 and the Nighthawk R8000 up and running at about 954 Mbps down and 53 Mbps up.  Nice!

Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7