Best Bridge Option for R7000

Drmtesta
Novice

Best Bridge Option for R7000

I'm curious about what others are doing to connect their home theaters. I have my R7000 upstairs and the home theater downstairs connected with a Trendnet TEW 800 AC Bridge. The bridge operates at 1200 so it's not ideal.

Any fast options other than buying another R7000 and using it in bridge mode? Any disadvantages of using a second R7000?
Thanks in advance
Message 1 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Best Bridge Option for R7000

Sorry, but it doesn't sound like you fully understand the limits of wireless from your post. If you're looking for a link with minimum loss use Cat XX. That 1200 link seems quite good, the question is what kind of throughput does said link deliver.
Message 2 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

AC is max at 1300Mbps so I agree that you have good speed.

If you need more solid I think I could not agree any better but to use ethernet cables
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

"Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study[/COLOR][/URL]

"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"

*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

June Mizoguchi-
Message 3 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

Thanks for the replies. I agree a cable would be best, but I tried the bridge to avoid holes in walls. The bridge is not as fast as the router. It is not rated at the same speed. Take a look:

Bridge: 867 Mbps AC
Router: 1300 Mbps AC

The fastest speed I can get with the bridge is 3/4 of the router speed. My question was whether anyone had an option to take advantage of the complete router speed? Or is using another R7000 as a bridge the only option?

Thanks
Message 4 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I think you meant is router is set for 1300 and bridge connect at 867? It will be hard to get 100% 1300Mbps at all times. You are dealing with wave that consist of all other interference etc. Now you could prove wrong by testing another r7000 and you get 1300 full time not loosing 1Mbps of that 1300Mbps but that would be impossible too.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 5 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

I know getting 100% is not realistic. However, the bridges that exist today are not able to achieve close to the same speed as the R7000. So the speed is much lower . . .not just a little. If I use another R7000 as a bridge, is that the optimal way to connect HT gear other than running a cable???
Message 6 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Think of your link as a pipe that can pass 1300 or 500 Mbps either way you'll never use the full capacity and the stuff moving thru the pipe moves at the same speed @ 1300 and 500.

These are NOT speeds they are max data throughput.

Read post 2 again.
Message 7 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Using the pipe analogy, right now the router is the faucet that can run up to 1300 but I'm feeding the water into a pipe that can take water up to 867. No?

There will be new 1750 and 1900 bridges coming out that will get closer to 1300 potentially. Is that not correct? Since the r7000 is rated at 1900 if add one in bridge mode would that not be the optimal setup other than running a cable?
Thanks!!
Message 8 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

I'm not sure what I'm missing. Using the pipe analogy, right now the router is the faucet that can run up to 1300 but I'm feeding the water into a pipe that can take water up to 867. No?

Setting up 1300 does not mean you will always get 1300 negotiation with any other wifi devices.

When you set 1300 is upto value to begin with. While you may found certain 802.11ac capable device in different location may connect better or could be even worth that 8xxMbps

If you are looking at perfect connection then you are looking at wrong picture. In perfect world of lab testing it amy continuously connect A-B point at 1300Mbps but in real world with all other interfaces around from cell phone to other emitting devices , surrounding will be a "challenging" part of wireless

While you point of arguing is all good but it is wireless which used as more connivence way to have network traffic.
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 9 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 10 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

Thanks for the sites and the replies. I do understand the difference between bandwidth and speed and that they can be related but not always.

Bottom line is there is no consumer AC bridge that can take full advantage of the speed that an AC 1900 router can provide. . . there are plans to release some in a few months.

I KNOW you will not get the rated speed of a router through wireless. By my question is about the optimal setup using wireless and the R7000. Given the lag on the bridges, I'm guessing, and here is where I wanted some input, that purchasing another R7000 and setting in bridge mode to connect to my home theater equipment would be the best possible option as of today. Yes?
Message 11 of 24
Squuiid
Luminary

Drmtesta wrote:
I'm guessing, and here is where I wanted some input, that purchasing another R7000 and setting in bridge mode to connect to my home theater equipment would be the best possible option as of today. Yes?

Yes, I have done exactly this, bought 2 R7000s, one is in AP mode the other is a bridge.
Pings between the two are incredible. There is no noticeable latency which for wifi is quite an achievement.
However, if like me you have an AppleTV or other Airplay product behind the bridge, it will not work. iTunes sharing also does not work.

See here:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=89112
Message 12 of 24
1kevinm
Novice

[QUOTE=Bottom line is there is no consumer AC bridge that can take full advantage of the speed that an AC 1900 router can provide. . . there are plans to release some in a few months. QUOTE]

Look at the Linksys WUMC710. It will connect at the full 1300 which is the max from the R7000 on 5ghz AC.
Message 13 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

Thank you. I think if I'm going to spend any more money it would be best to get another R7000. I can't believe the airplay issues. Hopefully a firmware update will fix it. Nuts that one of the top routers on the market would have an issue like that.
Message 14 of 24
Drmtesta
Novice

One other thing I wanted to ask about was the best settings for streaming video from a NAS device.
-Should QoS be enabled? If so, any other settings I should add?
-I want to enable beamforming, but there is no option for it in the firmware GUI. I looked in the Advanced Wireless Settings area.
-Before I start cutting holes in walls, are there any other settings that might help HD video streaming?

Thanks for all the help!!
Message 15 of 24
walzce
Aspirant

BUMP

We all understand and agree that cable would be best, however that isn't what he [Drmtesta] is asking.

He wants to know what is the best wireless solution for a home theater/media center application. I'm interested too, as I also have an R7000 upstairs and stream 1080P movies to the home theater/media center which is downstairs. Currently it woks good, but not great using Apple TV3, so I'm also investigating upgrade options.

Purchase a second R7000 and setup in bridge mode or purchase a EX6300? I would like to increase my streaming capability, however not kill the throughput on my home network (bridge/repeater throughput penalty).

Please advise.

--walzce
Message 16 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Drmtesta wrote:
One other thing I wanted to ask about was the best settings for streaming video from a NAS device.
-Should QoS be enabled? If so, any other settings I should add?

If you're streaming from your NAS, via your internal network, the only QoS you really need (WMM) is enabled by default. The "QoS" tab in router setup is for WAN port QoS. It wouldn't affect traffic between a NAS and your internal clients.

I also wouldn't recommend enabling it. It's very flaky.

Drmtesta wrote:
-I want to enable beamforming, but there is no option for it in the firmware GUI. I looked in the Advanced Wireless Settings area.

In the latest release firmware, Implicit Beamforming is enabled by default. If you want to verify that it is on, look in "Advanced Wireless Settings". It's below the WPS settings (you have to physically scroll down within the frame, which may require you to use the arrow keys rather than your mouse).
Message 17 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@walzce

Not a big fan of wireless bridging for the reason you stated.

Does your AppleTV have an ethernet port? Getting yourself a good wireless client adapter might be a better solution. That way you're only relying on wireless throughput between the adapter and the AP and don't have to worry about throughput penalties for wireless-to-wireless.
Message 18 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Every model APPLE TV came out with wireless and ethernet ports
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 19 of 24
walzce
Aspirant

Thanks for the comments. I really like the concept of being able to stream 1080P all the way to the Apple TV3 using the wireless AC band - vs - wireless N... That is why I've been evaluating a second R7000 Netgear's new (EX6200 Extender).

Which device is better for this application: a 2nd R7000 or the EX6200?

Checkout the Netgear EX6200 review at:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/32355-netgear-ex6200-ac1200-high-power-wifi...

Fast Lane

A key concept to keep in mind before you buy is that wireless extenders work best to bring a signal to where you can't get one at all or perhaps only an intermittent one. Extenders generally won't help make a good wireless connection better, because they start off by cutting the bandwidth they receive in half. The only way around this throughput penalty, which is due to a single radio receiving, then retransmitting each data packet, is to use two radios.

This is exactly what NETGEAR does with its "FastLane" feature, found in the Advanced > Operating Mode settings. The EX6200 comes set to "Internet Surfing" mode by default. As the graphic below indicates, this mode lets each radio extend the network in its band. Switching to FastLane provides the choice of using one of the radios as "backhaul", i.e. to connect the EX6200 back to the base router / AP, and the other to connect to clients.

Because each radio uses separate airtime to receive or transmit each packet, there is no 50% throughput penalty. But choosing which radio to use for what can make your head hurt, if your base router and clients support both bands. Otherwise, the choice will be dictated by the capabilities on each end of the EX6200. We'll explore both options when we look at performance.
Message 20 of 24
jmizoguchi
Virtuoso

Get extender .....
VPN Case Study

VPNCASESTUDY.COM

June Mizoguchi-
Message 21 of 24
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Don't get another router. Go with the extender. Dual radios = no penalty.
Message 22 of 24
dmon65
Aspirant

They are pretty hard to find, I stumbled across one in an Office Depot and another at a Microcenter, but the Western Digital My Net AC Bridge is rated as an AC1300 bridge.

I do get fantastic connections through them, when my WiFi is working! I'll do some bench marking. One is in my theater and when I have my Roku connected to it, and do the Vudu speed test, it is maxed out continually. But those aren't real numbers so I'll try to get some.

Also hate broadcasting good things about WD right now, since I'm one of the MyCloud afflicted users right now. It also worked fantastically, until it didn't and still isn't.

Ain't technology grand?

D.
Message 23 of 24
dmon65
Aspirant

Sorry, I was wrong. The Vudu test, on Roku, maxed is 9 Mbps.

PC hooked into a Gigabit 8 port switch in the basement, two floors below the router, gives a consistent 29 Mbps. Makes it worth the $69 a bridge, I think. And frees up the 2.4 Ghz channel for the wife and kids' notebooks, tablets and other network toys.

See one, grab it.

D.
Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E