Block Services

MatM
Guide

Block Services

Does someone use "block Services" in the Router? If yes what ports do you block an why.

Should it be used or don't you need it for private home router.

I ask because I read about that you should block port 25 so your computer can't be abused to send spam.
Message 1 of 8
JAMESMTL
Novice

Re: Block Services

Most responsible ISPs will block port 25 egress routing, limit port 25 to their own SMTP server, or block it altogether therefore it is generally unnecessary in a home environment.

You can test your ISPs behavior by telneting on port 25 to their SMTP server and to some external mail servers using their domain mx records.
Message 2 of 8
IrvSp
Master

MatM wrote:
I ask because I read about that you should block port 25 so your computer can't be abused to send spam.

Well, the 'spam' if your computer is sending any has to go to an SMTP server unless you are running one. Almost ALL ISP's have 2 ports on that server (at least mine does), 25 and 587. Generally the default is 587. As I 'understand' it, 25 if used your ISP will scour that and if it detects Spam it will 'shut you down' for some period of time to send e-mail. Supposedly 587 is NOT scanned for Spam as it can only (generally) be used on your ISP's connection. Off of it you must use 25 (for some ISP's as it is scanned for Spam that could come from outside of its system with your UID and PW that was gathered) I understand.

Of course if you don't block 25 and use 587 on your ISP's network it would seem that you could send spam?

Google "smtp port 25 or 587" and you'll get more on this.

I did have a friend using 25 and sent out too many e-mails and was locked out for sending more e-mails for 24 hours. Switched to 587 and that allowed more to go out after they got back on.
Message 3 of 8
MatM
Guide

JAMESMTL wrote:
Most responsible ISPs will block port 25 egress routing, limit port 25 to their own SMTP server, or block it altogether therefore it is generally unnecessary in a home environment.

You can test your ISPs behavior by telneting on port 25 to their SMTP server and to some external mail servers using their domain mx records.

So it makes no sense to block it also? Or would you block it?
Message 4 of 8
MatM
Guide

IrvSp, do you have blocked any Services?
Message 5 of 8
IrvSp
Master

MatM wrote:
do you have blocked any Services?

Not sure what you mean by 'services'? Windows services or are you talking 'ports' that access specific functions?

I've got some services disabled, but you can't 'block' them.
Message 6 of 8
JAMESMTL
Novice

I do not block any outgoing ports
Message 7 of 8
RogerSC
Virtuoso

I don't have any reason to block outgoing ports, either.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E