Can I create captive portal in R7000P?

Soyeb
Aspirant

Can I create captive portal in R7000P?

Hi 

I am trying since last 2-3 weeks to find out a way to create a Captive Portal in my expensive (GBP169) R7000P wifi router but couldnt find any way so far. 

Basically I am trying to create a hotspot where anyone can login and while they connect it will direct to a page and then login page . 

Can any one please help on this issue ?  I would be glad if anyone can please help me on this.

Thanks 

Soyeb

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 1 of 5
microchip8
Master

Re: Can I create captive portal in R7000P?

there is no way to do that on stock firmware, AFAIK

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.89SF & Kamoj addon
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400, 16 TB
Message 2 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Check this out, https://kb.netgear.com/000044350/What-is-a-captive-portal-and-how-do-I-create-one-for-an-existing-Wi.... Only specific NG devices support that.

On the other hand, using DMZ for an EXTERNAL (WAN) access, lot the local LAN, you could have that go to Server and handle it that way?

Message 3 of 5
Soyeb
Aspirant

Hi IRVSP

Thanks for our help however I couldnt understand below comments, Please explain. 

"On the other hand, using DMZ for an EXTERNAL (WAN) access, lot the local LAN, you could have that go to Server and handle it that way?"

Message 4 of 5
IrvSp
Master

Well, first I had an error in the sentence, 'lot' should have been 'not', sorry.

I'm assuming 2 things here. One, this isn't a home situation but either a business or some organization. With that in mind, I'd also you'd be using a central 'server' (could be a true server or a PC even). One would access the 'server' by either an IP Address or a URL with a name in it, like 'myorg.com'. Then you'd have a web page that would do standard things, like ask for credentials. From that it would verify and if good, pass the user on the true webpage, like START.HTML which could not be accessed any other way. It would take some setup trickery too I'd guess to make it happen.  This all assumed as well you have a FIXED IP Address from your ISP, although there are ways to mitigate that. That could be done using one of the many sites that you can use by sending them your IP Address everytime the server is turned on.

Second one is that you have this central server, running something like Windows Server which would handle the above and your ISP doesn't block Port 80. Places like NO-IP.COM (see https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-remote-access-for-computer-with-dynamic-ip/) could handle that. Your router might have in the ADVANCED SERVICES tab Dynamic DNS listed but for Fixed IP Addresses NG doesn't suggest using it and you'll have a .MYNETGEAR.COM end of the URL which you might not want.

DMZ info -> https://kb.netgear.com/1118/How-do-I-configure-a-device-to-be-in-the-DMZ-on-my-NETGEAR-router.

This is ALL a 'kludge' and may not work or present problems to other devices on the LAN.

Best bet, get the right hardware.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E