Re: Can I setup NordVPN on my Netgear Nighthawk X4S Model R7800 instead of using the PureVPN?

lemah
Follower

Can I setup NordVPN on my Netgear Nighthawk X4S Model R7800 instead of using the PureVPN?

Can I setup NordVPN (since I already have a subscription) on my Netgear Nighthawk X4S Model R7800 instead of using the PureVPN and having to pay for another VPN subscription?

Model: AC2400|Nighthawk AC2400 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Re: Can I setup NordVPN on my Netgear Nighthawk X4S Model R7800 instead of using the PureVPN?

Message 2 of 14

The best people to ask about using a particular  VPN are usually the people who supply that VPN.

In general, Netgear support for VPNs is poor. It seems to have been hopelessly slow in responding to the demand for this feature.

Netgear may get its act together, but I wouldn't hold by breathe.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@michaelkenward wrote:

In general, Netgear support for VPNs is poor. It seems to have been hopelessly slow in responding to the demand for this feature.

Must be a very difficult thing - considering the OpenVPN code is readily in place on (almost?) all decent router models - certainly all which are supporting the OpenVPN (server) service.

On the other hand, how many really need it?

• politically exposed persons (writers, thinkers, ...)
  • gamers expecting less risk to be DoS'ed 
  • persons doing file sharing illegal in some legislation
  • persons in hope to be able to watch regionally restricted TV services
  • persons who don't want to leave traces of their Internet activity

When you would to a poll, these would make the top five. The question is how many thousands of customers would never join that poll, because they could not care less?£

The gamers got their wishes fulfilled on the Nighthawk Pro Gaming and the Hybrid VPN. 

For my part, I would like to see policy routing - so only specific system son the LAN, or only specific services (ports) can be directed to a selection of VPN services up concurrently.

Message 4 of 14
Kamoj
Apprentice

Yes of course you can use NordVPN instead!

At the same time you get better performance and higher security:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-nordvpn-as-a-client-using-voxel-firmware.55646/

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 5 of 14
avtella
Prodigy

When you sell these high end units I think people expect more than rudimentry software, things like, more granular WiFi settings, Open VPN profile support for ExpressVPN, Nord VPN etc should be there, among other things.

Message 6 of 14
callenbooth
Aspirant

Can I setup NordVPN (since I already have a subscription) on my Netgear Nighthawk X4S Model R7800 instead of using the PureVPN and having to pay for another VPN subscription?

Yes You can do that but my opinion  purevpn works much better than nordvpn on this router because i am reading nordvpn review & purevpn review in detail  purevpn recommended this router and nord recomended different so my opinion this router perform 100% on purevpn as compare with nord 

Message 7 of 14
avtella
Prodigy

I’d rather use no VPN than PureVPN. Privacy policy isn’t as private as they advertise and it’s one of the slowest. Try getting 70-100+ Mbps with low latency on PureVPN (Hint - you won’t), best you probably get is like 20-25 Mbps, maybe 40-50 Mbps in a few servers. This why I keep asking for OpenVPN profile import capability for third party VPNs. Nord and Express are among the fastest and have good Terms of Service.

You are better off installing OpenWRT or DD-WRT on the R7800 if you want to use NordVPN, Express VPN and others.

Here’s a review as to why PureVPN is bad, they talk about deceptive practices and half truths in advertising:
https://thebestvpn.com/reviews/purevpn/
Message 8 of 14
HariyaLee
Aspirant

Well, I am using PureVPN on my NightHawk and it's working just fine. In fact, in my opinion, PureVPN has the most comprehensive setup guides and integration assistance available for most of the routers available in the market. Previously I was using TPLink's Archer and just recently I moved on to Netgear. If you are having issues regarding setting PureVPN on the router, here is where I usually take assistance from: 

Router Setup Guides: https://support.purevpn.com/supported-routers-and-protocols

NetGear NightHawk Router Guide: https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-configure-purevpn-with-netduma-and-nighthawk

I believe both these guides would help you if you still have PureVPN's subscription left. I am myself was using CybarGhost before and was having issues with integration, which compelled me to switch VPNs. Haven't specifically used Nord on router as of yet, but it use to work perfectly fine on my smartphone. 

Message 9 of 14
HariyaLee
Aspirant

Well, I am using PureVPN on my NightHawk and it's working just fine. Infact, in my opinion, PureVPN has the most comprehensive setup guides and integration assistance available for most of the routers available in the market. Previously I was using TPLink's Archer and just recently I moved on to Netgear. If you are having issues regarding setting PureVPN on the router, here is where I usually take assistance from: 

Router Setup Guides: https://support.purevpn.com/supported-routers-and-protocols

NetGear NightHawk Router Guide: https://support.purevpn.com/how-to-configure-purevpn-with-netduma-and-nighthawk

I believe both these guides would help you if you still have PureVPN's subscription left. I am myself was using CybarGhost before and was having issues with integration, which compelled me to switch VPNs. Haven't specifically used Nord on router as of yet, but it use to work perfectly fine on my smartphone. 

Message 10 of 14
BrettFrain
Aspirant

Well, I have tried other VPNs before but where most of them have excellent support for major platforms, they fail to deliver the same when it comes to Router and more important, the specific models. 

May I know if it's just the expired subscription, the service or any other integration issue that's the hindrance? Because I have been using Nighthawk for a while now with PureVPN and its working perfectly fine. 

More importantly, among all the other providers, they have the most sought after Router Guides available on their website. 

Nord is good too, but haven't specifially tried it for Router. 

Message 11 of 14
MasterChief86
Aspirant

it's the same issue I had with setting it up with Nord. Regarding configuration on Netgear, I took assistance from Pure's Technical Support and got it up and running.  SInce then, I haven't switched from PureVPN. I have used Nord on my Smartphone and it worked like a charm, but as far as support for Router is concerned,  I am not so sure. I have also used IPVanish in the past and it also had the same connectivity issues as I have faced with other VPN providers in the past. 

Message 12 of 14
Baozhai
Aspirant

Yes you can with ease. I setup on an asus router by asking the nordvpn live chat support. You can do the same. The reviews of NordVPN is very interesting when it comes to setting up this provider on routers and it works like a charm. 

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 Wifi Router
Message 13 of 14
andante
Aspirant

If something isn't working out, you can try other VPN solutions, free and paid ones. Nord VPN is good, but I had a good history with other services. Click here to check out the list. 

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements