Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Connect to routerlogin.net

SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

Can't Connect to routerlogin.net

I have searched this exhaustively, and nothing works. Router is the Nighthawk X6 R8000. I have internet hardwire connected to my PC, and WiFi connected to multiple mobile devices. The internet works great, but I cannot connect to the router to adjust settings. I've tried 192.168.1.1 and other variations. I have tried routerlogin.net and routerlogin.com. I've cleared my browsing history and cache and I have power cycled this thing about a hundred times. I have also tried using the genie app, and installed and uninstalled that half a dozen times as well. What could I be missing? I just want to change the password, and utilize the parental controls. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

Re: Can't Connect to routerlogin.net

I finally got it to connect! Thank you very much for your replies and your attempt to help me! Here is what worked:

I drug the router over to my PC and connected AC power to the wall. Then I connected an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the router, and the other end directly to my PC. Still nothing. I again attempted factory reset, pressing the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip. Again, nothing. I'm very stubborn, and I thought there is just abosolutely no way I can't connect to this thing. So I began experimenting with various lengths of time depressing the reset button. I started with the documentation reccommendation of "greater than 5 seconds", and it still wouldn't reset to factory settings and allow me to connect to the netgear genie (www.routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1). 

I attempted with time lengths ranging from 5 to 120 seconds. What I found was, after holding for about 5 seconds, the power light begins flashing amber, and will continue at a steady interval. At about the 20-30 second time-frame, it will stay lit for a fraction of a second longer (or hiccup) than previous flashes, and then again forever flash at a steady interval until you let go. When I held for the 120 seconds, it still wouldn't connect. My final attempt though, I let go right after the little "hiccup" flash at about the 20-30 second timeline, and IT WORKED! Ridiculous, but there you have it. I was then able to connect using the default 192.168.1.1 address and get into all the lovely netgear genie settings. 

Again, thank you so very much schumaku for trying to help me!

I hope that this will be helpful to anyone that has a similar issue. It was incredibly frustrating for me. Resetting to factory defaults should be way easier. I shouldn't have had to do all that. 

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 11

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Wht is the LAN configuration of your (assumeably Windows) PC? Most easy open the Command Prompt by run -> Search cmd  and then type ipconfig    and then also     route print     wht we want to know is the default gateway IP address, like here:

C:\>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet LAN adapter:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : (whatever)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::(whatever)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.27
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

C:\Users\kurts>route print
===========================================================================
Interface List
<snip>

IPv4 Route Table
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.27 35
192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 On-link 192.168.1.27 291

And Internet "security" software or hide-my-ass-type or business VPN active on your computer?

Message 2 of 11
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

Thank you schumaku for your reply!

I have no VPN hide-my-ass type software, and my internet security is just Windows Defender. I'm running Windows 10.

I've run ipconfig:

IPV4 address on my PC (connected via hardline) 65.xx.xx.xxx.xxx

Default Gateway 65.xx.xxx.x

IP on WiFi mobile device:

Device 1 = 66.xx.xxx.xxx

Router = 66.xx.xxx.x

Subnet Mask 255.255.xxx.x

Device 2 = 72.xx.xx.xx

Gateway = 72.xx.xx.x

Subnet Mask 255.xxx.xxx.x

Thank you!

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Hm, these look more like public IP addresses and it appears like your router is not connected or configured as such in the data path. Or is your router configured as a wireless access point only? 

Message 4 of 11
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

That's what I was thinking as well, that the router is acting like a passive passthrough "switch". I've reset to factory settings probably 3 times holding down the button on back with a paperclip. Still no luck. It shouldn't be set up as WiFi access point only, as that's not how default factory settings are. Even still, I should be able to access router directly from WiFi device by putting in 192.168.1.1 into the web browser, shouldn't I?
Message 5 of 11
schumaku
Guru

The Internet side (cable modem, fiber adapter, ...) is connected to the router WAN/Internet port? And the router is an R8000, not an EX8000 wireless mesh extender?

No, to use the 192.168.1.1/24 the interface must be on 192.168.1.0/24 255.255.255.0 network

Message 6 of 11
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

It is for sure the R8000. I called my ISP and they showed I'm pulling a public IP from them. I've got the router hooked to the WAN/Internet port. My last effort will be to just straight connect my PC direct to the router (through an Ethernet port, not the internet port), and see if I can connect that way and get into the settings. If that works, what should I be looking for as far as settings go?

Thank you very much for your help!
Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@SteveNighthawk wrote:
I've got the router hooked to the WAN/Internet port. My last effort will be to just straight connect my PC direct to the router (through an Ethernet port, not the internet port), ... 

Wait - the Internet side does connect to the router WAN/Internet port. All computers have to be connected to the R8000 Ethernet/LAN ports or the router WiFi.  

Message 8 of 11
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I now see I worded that horribly. Right now, internet is hooked up to my WAN/Internet port, and my PC to one of the open Ethernet/LAN ports on the router. I have internet access, but not access to my router software/firmware.

What I'm talking about doing, is disconnecting the router, walking it over to my pc, plugging in AC, and then plugging in one of the Ethernet ports directly. PC Ethernet >>>>>Router Ethernet port and leave internet out of the equation entirely. There's no way it can't handshake that way..... Well hopefully. Right now my setup is Internet >>>>router WAN>>>>router LAN>>>>Wall splicing box Ethernet port>>>>long Ethernet cable running through my house to my wall port right behind my PC>>>>>PC Ethernet port on my motherboard.

The problem isn't the splice/switch that runs Cat5 to various areas in my home, because I have internet connectivity to my PC right now.

Does that explanation make sense?
Message 9 of 11
schumaku
Guru

...and there is certainly no connection from the switch/house cabling to the Internet side of things bypassing the router somehow?

If the PC is connected the router LAN port, it will pick up an address from the router DHCP. Can you bring the PC temporarily near to the router ... just to exclude the possible impossible.

Message 10 of 11
SteveNighthawk
Aspirant

I finally got it to connect! Thank you very much for your replies and your attempt to help me! Here is what worked:

I drug the router over to my PC and connected AC power to the wall. Then I connected an ethernet cable to one of the LAN ports of the router, and the other end directly to my PC. Still nothing. I again attempted factory reset, pressing the reset button on the back of the router with a paperclip. Again, nothing. I'm very stubborn, and I thought there is just abosolutely no way I can't connect to this thing. So I began experimenting with various lengths of time depressing the reset button. I started with the documentation reccommendation of "greater than 5 seconds", and it still wouldn't reset to factory settings and allow me to connect to the netgear genie (www.routerlogin.net or routerlogin.com or 192.168.1.1). 

I attempted with time lengths ranging from 5 to 120 seconds. What I found was, after holding for about 5 seconds, the power light begins flashing amber, and will continue at a steady interval. At about the 20-30 second time-frame, it will stay lit for a fraction of a second longer (or hiccup) than previous flashes, and then again forever flash at a steady interval until you let go. When I held for the 120 seconds, it still wouldn't connect. My final attempt though, I let go right after the little "hiccup" flash at about the 20-30 second timeline, and IT WORKED! Ridiculous, but there you have it. I was then able to connect using the default 192.168.1.1 address and get into all the lovely netgear genie settings. 

Again, thank you so very much schumaku for trying to help me!

I hope that this will be helpful to anyone that has a similar issue. It was incredibly frustrating for me. Resetting to factory defaults should be way easier. I shouldn't have had to do all that. 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7