Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect PS4 to AX1800

Technographie
Aspirant

Cannot connect PS4 to AX1800

I bought a RAX20 (AX1800) recently and I'm unable to connect to my PS4. It just doesn't find the PS4. All other devices are found without issues. Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?
Thanks!
Message 1 of 14

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Cannot connect PS4 to AX1800

You can turn off AX in the wireless settings for the router. 

AX is only going to change the speeds if your devices are AX. There aren't many AX devices released currently and the PS4 definitly isn't. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 14

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the router doesn't find the ps4. The ps4 is what connects to the router. Did you re-run the setup process on the ps4? 

Message 2 of 14
Technographie
Aspirant

I meant it the other way around. The PS4 can't find the router. It still can't. All other wifi networks are found, but not mine.
Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

try disabling the AX. Some older devices have had issues with AX. 

Message 4 of 14
Technographie
Aspirant

Thank you for the response.

What do you mean by disable the AX?

Turn it off and on again? I've done that.

Interestingly, my PS4 was able to find and connect to the router for some reason yesterday, but when I went in today, I was having the same issue where the PS4 could not find or connect to the router.

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

No, just try it with the AX turned off. 

Message 6 of 14
Technographie
Aspirant

I'm sorry I'm not very technical and I have no idea what turning off the AX means.

How do I do it? And does it mean a slower connection for my other devices?

Thanks!
Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

You can turn off AX in the wireless settings for the router. 

AX is only going to change the speeds if your devices are AX. There aren't many AX devices released currently and the PS4 definitly isn't. 

Message 8 of 14
MagmaDoctor
Aspirant

No offense, but wifi routers can run several different standards at once. My PC and phone are AX, which is why I bought an AX router. obvioulsy people will have legacy devices in their home so this advice is not practical.

Message 9 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@MagmaDoctor wrote:

No offense, but wifi routers can run several different standards at once.

Correct.

@MagmaDoctor wrote:

My PC and phone are AX, which is why I bought an AX router.

Of course, that makes sense.

@MagmaDoctor wrote:

obvioulsy people will have legacy devices in their home so this advice is not practical.

The problem are not legacy devices - the problem is that there are older standard devices in the field where the device wireless adapter firmware does fail to recognize and associate with the AX radios on the routers/access points. Popular example are Intel WiFi chip based wireless adapter where outdated firmware (resp. outdated embedded/loadable firmware/microcode for the WiFi chip) fails to work with AX devices. Trouble is that e.g. notebook vendors are lazy and don't make current firmware available - so this never will be updated by the vendor driver update processes and under some conditions not by Windows update. Here updating from Intel resources does help. On embedded systems (Note: I don't know much about the PS4 issue) we are sold to the maker of the device....   The "typical" workaround until the issues are fixed (here or there) is to disable the AX feature announcement on the routers/access point beacon.

Message 10 of 14
plemans
Guru

@MagmaDoctor wrote:

No offense, but wifi routers can run several different standards at once. My PC and phone are AX, which is why I bought an AX router. obvioulsy people will have legacy devices in their home so this advice is not practical.

Agree with @schumaku post in reponse. 

my other response would be that if you're having issues, to start your own thread. This solution might have worked fine for the OP and need different changes based off what you have. If you'd like personalized help, start a thread of your own. 

Message 11 of 14
MagmaDoctor
Aspirant

Excuse me? I didn't ask for your help on any issue in my post. Nor did OP report that disabling AX helped him. 

Message 12 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@MagmaDoctor wrote:

Nor did OP report that disabling AX helped him. 

Who ever marked that post as a solution then - the OP or a NTGR mod/superuser.

Message 13 of 14
MagmaDoctor
Aspirant

you must hae a mental illness to not understand the concept of past and present

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements