Cannot connect with OpenVPN (gateway & certificates)

sval
Aspirant

Cannot connect with OpenVPN (gateway & certificates)

I'm testing my OpenVPN service I turned on on my Nighthawk, and followed all the steps. But when it's time to connect I'm getting this error:

WARNING: No server certificate verification method has been enabled. See http://openvpn.net/howto.html#mitm for more info.

NOTE: the current --script-security setting may allow this configuration to call user-defined scripts

OpenVPN ROUTE: OpenVPN needs a gateway parameter for a --route option and no default was specified by either --route-gateway or --ifconfig options

OpenVPN ROUTE: failed to parse/resolve route for host/network: 192.168.1.0

ERROR: Cannot open TUN/TAP dev NETGEAR-VPN: No such file or directory (errno=2)

Am I missing a step?  At the moment of writing this post, my Router is up to date at firmware 1.0.2.130

Model: R8500|Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band AC5300 WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
sval
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect with OpenVPN (gateway & certificates)

I believe I made some progress, by following this link on my router:

routerlogin.net/openvpn_crt_check.htm

it seems to have forced a renewal of my OpenVPN setup. I then re-downloaded the opvn configs and tried them again on my client.

This time it's asking me for a Passphrase but I'm pretty sure I never set one myself, and can't find a passphrase option in the Nighthawk's OpenVPN settings.

Is this passphrase a public one common to all Nighthawks?

Message 2 of 3

Re: Cannot connect with OpenVPN (gateway & certificates)

There is support material, including a manual, for the R7000 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R7000 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

I mention this because Netgear does not ship manuals with hardware these days and you may be one of the many people who hasn't succeeded in tracking it down.

See the section Use VPN to Access Your Network.

Maybe you have done all that. You don't day.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E