• 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Follower

Cannot map to external drive R6400

Ok, first off, the R6400 isn't even listed in the drop down to select which thing I'm writing about... so there's that.  This is about the R6400, not the R6700... but I had to pick something to get started here.

My real problem is that I cannot map (Windows 10) to an external hard drive USB'd to the router.  The router never shows up under network devices.  The router works just fine otherwise, and I can connect to the drive fine via the Ready Cloud interface (well, as fine as can be expected) that launches from the right of the tool bar (by the clock).  This lets me open a file browser window, and I can open files by double clicking them here... but from inside any program I can never get to that drive with the "Open" command... this isn't so bad, but when I start a new file, I cannot Save-As to the drive!!  This is a huge pain to have to save it to the desktop, and then drag and drop it into the folder - then double click it to re-open it, then save future changes, but only after jumping through that hoop.  This seems stupid... like only having AM radio in your new car.  I've read about some programmers living in tents in the desert and malware, and crying and all that, which ends in saying the latest firmware update "gonna fixes everything" (I can't help but hearing President Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho's voice here)... but unsurprisingly, the update "didn't fixes anything".  Any support on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers!

Not Sure

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Highlighted
Master

Re: Cannot map to external drive R6400

I think I know the problem and the answer, but this part confuses me and means it is a different problem:

"This lets me open a file browser window, and I can open files by double clicking them here... but from inside any program I can never get to that drive with the "Open" command... this isn't so bad, but when I start a new file, I cannot Save-As to the drive!!  This is a huge pain to have to save it to the desktop, and then drag and drop it into the folder - then double click it to re-open it, then save future changes, but only after jumping through that hoop."

To reinterate what I think you said to be more clear:

• You are running a program and want to access a file on the router USB drive.
  • The OPEN window doesn't show the router share as a possibile file target. *
  • That is 1 problem.
  • Now you create a NEW file in that program.
  • You want to SAVE the file to the Router USB drive.
  • You can't as you again can't see the Router USB Share to save it to. **
  • So you save it to the desktop.
  • After that, you Drag And Drop it to what? ***

OK, the confusing part to me I put *'s after.

Specific quesitons for those:

* Not seeing the share, but do you see either the NETWORK or READYSHARE as a choice to expand and locate the folder you want to put the file in?

** Basically the same question as for *, can you see NETWORK to expand and locate the place to save the file?

*** You drag from the desktop to what, the NETWORK SHARE where you want to file to be?

After that you state " then double click it to re-open it, then save future changes, but only after jumping through that hoop."

This implies you have a file you can see using Windows Explorer I'd asume to locate the file on the Network share, double click on it to open it, and Windows uses the default program for the extension to open that program with the file.

So, if the last paragraph is correct, then the problem might be within the program you are using as it can't handle network shares from within it. Using Windows Explorer to open the file and then send it to the program bypasses that. SAVE in the program returns the file using native Windows methods. So, that sort of points to the program as the fault.

Now, there is a W10 problem with LAN's that require NETBIOS resolution for Network Shares. That requires the Windows Feature, SMB 1 (which could be a security risk) to be turned on.

If my suppositions above are correct, then it is surely the program. Those were based on not being able to see the share at all. If it isn't, then you'll need to turn on SMB 1 Client under the Control Panel's Programs and Features, and use the Add Program Features, and find SMB, expand it and check the Client. W10 usually disables this as of the V1703 Creator Update version.

Message 2 of 3
Highlighted

Re: Cannot map to external drive R6400

@hammerspring wrote:

Ok, first off, the R6400 isn't even listed in the drop down to select which thing I'm writing about... so there's that.  This is about the R6400, not the R6700... but I had to pick something to get started here.

Try the section for that device.

General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk) - NETGEAR Communities

The R6400 is not a Ntghthawk router.

There is support for the R6400 series, including manuals, somewhere at the end of this link:

>>> R6400 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

>>> R6400v2 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 3 of 3