Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DDNS not working for Mynetgear.com domains. Domain owned by Network Solutions LLC

pvradu
Guide

DDNS not working for Mynetgear.com domains. Domain owned by Network Solutions LLC

Ok, discovered this morning that mynetgear.com it's registered by NetworkSolutions LLC.

http://whois.domaintools.com/mynetgear.com

RegistrarNetwork Solutions, LLC.
Registrar StatusclientTransferProhibited
DatesCreated on 2003-09-30 - Expires on 2018-09-30 - Updated on 2017-10-27

Also:

; <<>> DiG 9.11.1-P3-RedHat-9.11.1-2.P3.fc26 <<>> @8.8.8.8 mynetgear.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43489
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mynetgear.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mynetgear.com. 6250 IN NS ns1.no-ip.com.
mynetgear.com. 6250 IN NS ns2.no-ip.com.
mynetgear.com. 6250 IN NS ns3.no-ip.com.
mynetgear.com. 6250 IN NS ns4.no-ip.com.
mynetgear.com. 6250 IN NS ns5.no-ip.com.

;; Query time: 47 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Oct 28 15:48:01 EEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 138

Or.. 

; <<>> DiG 9.11.1-P3-RedHat-9.11.1-2.P3.fc26 <<>> @8.8.8.8 mynetgear.com ns
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 51633
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 512
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mynetgear.com. IN NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mynetgear.com. 7199 IN NS ns77.worldnic.com.
mynetgear.com. 7199 IN NS ns78.worldnic.com.

;; Query time: 220 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Sat Oct 28 15:48:03 EEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 89

So what happens to customers really using *.mynetgear.com?

Cheers,

Radu

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
pvradu
Guide

Re: DDNS not working for Mynetgear.com domains. Domain owned by Network Solutions LLC

Hi,

problem was solved 1-2 days after posting the message.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 23

All Replies
ajalessa
Initiate

Re: DDNS not working for Mynetgear.com domains. Domain owned by Network Solutions LLC

I'm having the same issue as pvradu. I have a Netgear Nighthawk X4s R7800 and had been using DDNS using the mynetgear.com domain.

Last night, I noticed that I could no longer see my webcams that use that ddns address. When I try to ping myhost.mynetgear.com, I get replies from 208.91.197.27, which is NOT my public ip address.

If I login to noip.com (which netgear is partnered with) I can see in the dashboard that the mynetgear.com domain has the correct public IP address.If I configure a hostname to ANY other domain, (ex: ddns.net) and ping it, all works fine and it replies with my public IP address as expected.

In fact, if I try to ping nearly ANY hostname using the mynetgear.com domain, I get replies from this address regardless if i am on my home network or cellular - or even my neighbors house. for example - osdnjfosd35fiodsiof61sdmfoisd.mynetgear.com - resolves to 208.91.197.27

There are no host files configured anywhere, and I'm using the DNS server addresses supplied to me from the ISP.

Netgear - what happened?

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 23
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My reply to this post seems to have removed without any explanation.

I am having the same issue, my ###.mynetgear.com host isn't pointing to my ip address any more. The no-ip dashboard is showing the ip address update is successful and it shows my ip address. But when I ping the address it pings a totally different ip address.
Message 3 of 23
Leos1
Guide

Domain xxx.mynetgear.com does not work. Security system is not accessible because of that. Replaced ddns name to IP address and was able to access system.

DDNS worked fine until recently 

NETGEAR - WHAT IS HAPPENING?

Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 4 of 23
RichC_US
Aspirant

Glad to see others having the same issue. I have a script monitoring and on Oct 27, 2017 it trigger for the first time and hasn't stopped. Any announcement that the domain was retired and service with no-ip discontinued? 

Message 5 of 23
smf723
Aspirant

Ditto here. I updated to 1.0.9.12 but that didn't seem to help. It had worked fine for the last 1.5 years. Seems like that abandon supporting router functionality once they stop selling them.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 23
Jin357
Guide

Same problem here. As others have noted, any A records for mynetgear.com are resolving to 208.91.197.27. Doing some brief digging, that IP is associated with tons of domains (over a million) which don't seem to have any relation to Netgear. No idea what's going on here, but I suppose it's possible they shut down the service without notifying anyone.

Could someone please post if you get in contact with Netgear support? I can't physically get to my router at the moment and didn't see a support contact without providing a serial number.

Message 7 of 23
Terrencet76
Aspirant

Same, suddently I am routed to Network solutions "Page under construction"...  This is killing me.  Anything from netgear... someone forgot to pay the bill for the host and it got eaten by network solutions...

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 8 of 23
Jin357
Guide

Network solutions is just the domain registrar, so Netgear just has the domain registered through them. The domain doesn't expire for almost a year which is where things get strange. I'm sick and not thinking straight, but that would lead me to believe that someone at Netgear would have to have intentionally removed the DNS records pointing at whatever DNS service which was resolving the A records. The IP it's pointing to now is a generic Network Solutions IP which is what leads me to believe there are no longer any DNS records defined. It really doesn't make sense since as far as I can gather, this would have to have been intentional. Also, looking at wayback machine, mynetgear.com used to redirect to my.netgear.com. I can't think of any reason they would remove that redirection even if they were shutting the DDNS service down.

Message 9 of 23
JeffreyWiggins
Initiate

I'm also having this problem and very frustrating

Message 10 of 23
Jin357
Guide

To add to what I've already tried, I logged into my noip.com account with the same credentials as the mynetgear.com ddns configuration in the router and added a new host myhost.ddnsking.com. I then disabled dynamic DNS on the router itself and changed the myhost.mynetgear.com host in the noip.com configuration to be a CNAME pointed to myhost.ddnsking.com. I've been checking global propogation periodically and it will occasionally propogate to one name server in Brazil before reverting back after a few minutes. It seems that the Network Solutions DNS configuration keeps overriding the noip CNAME so it never propogates globally. Just more weirdness to add to the mix.

Message 11 of 23
solidus1983
Initiate

I am also having the same issue where the DDNS service is redirecting to the same IP in the posts above, just got off the phone from technical support to whom wasn't that great as the CS rep didn't even grasp the fact i was reporting something to them, instead they was rude and when i asked for a Supervisior hung the call.

So what ever is happening netgear it needs sorting.

Edit: Seems NO-IP is aware of the issue and working with Netgear already

http://status.noip.com/incidents/63cgdcwykdt1

Message 12 of 23
Jin357
Guide

Awesome, thanks so much! Hopefully it'll be resolved soon. Have a script checking it every minute.

Message 13 of 23
pvradu
Guide

Hi,

it seems sorted already. Got some messages from my monitoring that websites are back online. Which means that my XX.mynetgear.com domain is now ok. Check yours!

Cheers,

Radu

Message 14 of 23
JeffreyWiggins
Initiate

Agreed as my site is now working remotely again
Message 15 of 23
Leos1
Guide

Looks like DDNS recovered. Thanks to everyone involved !

Message 16 of 23
SlimD
Aspirant

DDNS is stilll not working for me.

I can login to noip and, as others in the early part of this thread state, the IP is correct there, but pinging the DDNS name (xxx.mynetgear.com) yields the generic (and error) ip currently linked to mynetgear.com (208.91.197.27)-

Also, noip says they are still investigating and will update when they have more info

http://status.noip.com/incidents/63cgdcwykdt1 

Thanks to those who reported this issue. 

Message 17 of 23
Jin357
Guide

If you're on a windows PC, open a command prompt and type the following:

ipconfig /flushdns

Press enter and then try pinging your mynetgear.com host name again.
Message 18 of 23
SlimD
Aspirant

excellent!

On first try, it did not work, but your tip was good.

It was a DNS issue on my side. I changed to an external DNS provider and now its all good.

thank you!

Message 19 of 23
smf723
Aspirant

No response from Netgear on this issue as to why this issue happened and what they are doing to prevent it from happening again in the future?

Message 20 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi all,

This issue should be working now. Can you confirm or if you still have any issues.

Message 21 of 23
pvradu
Guide

Hi,

problem was solved 1-2 days after posting the message.

Message 22 of 23
JamesGL
Master

Hi pvradu,

Thank you for the confirmation.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7