DLNA issues

scooter4483
Aspirant

DLNA issues

I have an r7000 bought three weeks ago. My panasonic dvd player has dlna client support. The media is enabled by default on the router. When I go to scan on my dvd player, it finds 'R7000', but then when I click on it, it says 'cannot connect, please confirm your network settings'. I have a external HDD connected to the r7000. I mapped the drive successfully on my laptop. I did troubleshooting with netgear support a week ago where i went back to original firmware. They concluded that the r7000 is defective so I received a replacement today, and I have the same results. How do i make this work? Am I missing something? Doesn't the 'r7000' act as a media server?

Thank you!
Message 1 of 3
IrvSp
Master

Re: DLNA issues

scooter4483 wrote:
Doesn't the 'r7000' act as a media server?

Thank you!

Yes it does. You must turn on DLNA though, it is off by default. I'll assume you've done this though as did Netgear support? It is at Advanced Tab on the browser control of the router, USB Storage and Media Server, enable DLNA Media Server.

I have had problems with this server too though. Duplicated files and some disappeared on me. Occasionally I've had to take the USB drive to the PC and plug it in. It almost always (PC) says there is something wrong with the FileSystem and corrects it. I run CHKDSK on it when it doesn't though.

Even when I've had problem FTP always works. Get an FTP client (or use a Browser, ftp://192.168.1.1) and see if you can see the files there. If you can't run CHKDSK from a PC. One other thing to try is to turn off the DLNA server, use the PC to look at the drive and in the root, DELETE .readyDLNA folder. Then re-enable the DLNA server, and that will re-build the database for DLNA. If there was corruption on the database that would cause the problem you see.

Another suggestion to rule out the DVD Player, get VLC for the PC, it can see files on the network, see if that works. It could be a 'permissions' thing stopping the DVD player?
Message 2 of 3
scooter4483
Aspirant

Re: DLNA issues

The media server is enabled by default. I have a seagate free agent external hdd connected to the r7000. Any other ideas?
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements