Does R7000 factory reset change firmware or reset Readyshare?

jmr1959
Aspirant

Does R7000 factory reset change firmware or reset Readyshare?

My wifi performance has been eratic since I did a firmware upgrade (to .28) a couple of days ago. I downgraded back to the prior version (.6) but that didn't fix it.  I think I may need to try doing a factory reset, but have a couple of questions before I do:

1. I have a thumbdrive in the USB3 port that I have set up as a network drive.  Will the factory reset blow away that setup, or will it continue as-is after the reset?

2. Will the factory reset also revert the firmware version back to what it was when it was new?  Not a big deal if it does... I'm mainly just curious.

3. I notice there is a "Revert to factory default settings     [Erase]" option on the Backup Setting page in the Advanced tab.   Does this do the same as pushing the button on the back of the unit?

Question #1 is really the important one to me.  I had a heck of a time getting that thumbdrive set up and working right, and I'd hate to go through that again.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
IrvSp
Master

Re: Does R7000 factory reset change firmware or reset Readyshare?

@jmr1959 wrote:

My wifi performance has been eratic since I did a firmware upgrade (to .28) a couple of days ago. I downgraded back to the prior version (.6) but that didn't fix it.  I think I may need to try doing a factory reset, but have a couple of questions before I do:

1. I have a thumbdrive in the USB3 port that I have set up as a network drive.  Will the factory reset blow away that setup, or will it continue as-is after the reset?

2. Will the factory reset also revert the firmware version back to what it was when it was new?  Not a big deal if it does... I'm mainly just curious.

3. I notice there is a "Revert to factory default settings     [Erase]" option on the Backup Setting page in the Advanced tab.   Does this do the same as pushing the button on the back of the unit?

Question #1 is really the important one to me.  I had a heck of a time getting that thumbdrive set up and working right, and I'd hate to go through that again.

#2's answer is NO.

#1's answer is 'maybe'. I say that because I've not always seen it wipe-out all settings.

#3, I'm not sure which button on the back you mean, the power or the recessed button? Power button just basically reboots, nothing more. Recessed button, if you do the 30-30-30 it will reset you back to the SAME version with no settings changed from default. This is basically the same as the ERASE NVRAM on the Genie Web page.

What I'd do, it take SCREEN SHOTS of all pages you made changes to. That way once you clear everything it would be easy to restore by looking as the screen capture rather than depending on memory.

One thing NOT to do, make a back-up of the settings and then BACK LEVEL the firmware as RESTORE the settings. That can quite possibly cause problem or not solve your problems.

Me, I'd go the screen shot route, get the older firmware d/l'ed and unzipped, then erase the NVRAM, restore the older version, re-boot, even doing the 30-30-30 to ensure no left-overs, install the older f/w, and then manually reset the settings. I know, a pain, and a lot of work, but if it works, it is worth it.

Want to gamble, just install the older firmware and hope for the best. Still have problems, then do the NVRAM ERASE and re-do the settings.

Message 2 of 6
jmr1959
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply, IrvSp.

Since I currently have the old firmware (.6) loaded I guess I'll take some screenshots of my setups, and then do a reset.  Afterward, I would kind of like to upgrade the firmware to .28 (thanks to VPNfilter!). Should I plan on doing another reset after I do that? In other words, don't bother setting up the Readyshare drive right after the first reset, instead wait till I've loaded in .28?

Not sure I know what you mean by "30-30-30" with the reset. Is that refering to holding the reset button for 30 seconds during parts of the reset? If so, could you summarize it for me, or point me to a writeup about it, or both?

The instructions I've seen say it only has to be held for 7 seconds... or is that just wishfull thinking.

Message 3 of 6
IrvSp
Master

The 30-30-30 reset... some reading first:

http://www.pcwintech.com/how-do-hard-reset-aka-303030-reset-your-router

http://bestwirelessroutersnow.com/30-30-30-hard-reset-wireless-router/

To be honest, and I've seen 7 seconds too, I'm note sure it even works other than do the same as the Reboot by powering off and on again, but I do think it does do 'one' reset, and that is if you've changed the default login UID and P/W and possibly the wireless SSID and P/W. On my R7000 when I had a problem I didn't see anything change, but then again, I had the latest f/w (at the time a few months ago).

What you do after you have done the reset, and even after loading a new firmware is really questionable? Some say do a reset, others say you don't have to. It all boils down to 'does it work or not'?

Like any other code (executable binary code), the firmware can shrink or expand from release to release. I have NOT looked at the open source code (it is available, Google for it) but I'd think 'buffers' and 'data area' can move. If they do, lets say you set the wireless password to something, the old code saved it somewhere. Now if the newer code looks for that password at a different location, poof, you have a problem.

I for one just try using the router after firmware upgrade. Hit ANY problem, do the 30-30-30 hard reset, then ERASE NVRAM and manually re-

enter ALL settings (I screenshot of all I changed from default to consult if I need to do that).

Other might disagree though.

Message 4 of 6

@jmr1959 wrote:
2. Will the factory reset also revert the firmware version back to what it was when it was new? 

No. It will stick with what is installed.

@jmr1959 wrote:

Yes.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 5 of 6
jmr1959
Aspirant

Well, I took a deep breath and did a factory reset yesterday morning, and guess what... IT WORKED!

My wi-fi problems are gone, and it even recognized my thumb drive plugged into the USB3 port right away. I am a happy camper right now!

FYI, I upgraded the firmware to .28 first, and I used the ERASE option on the Backup Settings page in the Administration section of the Advanced menu of the Netgear Genie tool on my desktop that is hardwired to the router.

Thanks IrvSP and michaelkenward for your help.  It was very usefull.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements