Highlighted
Master

Re: Dont buy R7000

There are cry babies every where.

Message 26 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

"Netgear may not be the poster-child of quality and support, but some of their products do actually work. "

I'd emphasize the "some" so far a few months into ownership this isn't one of them, and I'm still holding my breath for the next day  callback from support from a month ago.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 27 of 38
Highlighted
Tutor

Message 28 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Interesting I think I'll finally give it a try later today.

Thanks,

Bill

Message 29 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

WOW! Just made the switch. WOW!

Message 30 of 38
Highlighted
Star

I finally installed the latest version of the Merlin firmware on my r7000, I have to say that I am totally floored at how much better this is than the default Netgear firmware.  I had given up on DDWRT some time ago due to instability and range/speed issues and had been using Netgear's 1.07.2 since it was released with poor results on it as well.  I did some simple tests by transferring a single directory with many small files in it and also transferring a single large file (800meg) back and forth between my NAS and my laptop.  The result was stunning, I doubled my speed using the Merlin s/w.  I also have noticed that my cell phone WIFI connections no longer stall or freeze as they had been doing since running the Netgear firmware.  If this firmware will maintain this level of speed while remaining stable (No need to reboot the router every day like DDWRT) then I will never be back to the Netgear firmware again. 

So why am I writing?  Because the messages in this thread provide the link to the Merlin firmware and I just wanted to say thank you!  Much appreciated!!!  Netgear should take a lesson from this.  This will strongly influence my next router purchase, and thats not good for Netgear.

Message 31 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

I've had my R7000 for 18 months without any serious probl...

I've had my R7000 for 18 months without any serious problems. The hardware in the router is basically the same as in other higher end costumer routers like some of the Asus's. It all comes down to firmware and Netgear had some problems initially with the firmware for this one. Now it's rock solid for me and everything works like it should. A while back I added an EX7000 for the second floor of my house which works great with the R7000 creating fast Wi-Fi connections in every corner of my house.

So this is a great router you can run all kinds of third party firmware on if you so desire. I tried a couple but went back to stock since I got stronger signals overall that way.
//CD
Message 32 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

I made a switch from Comcast leased Motorola to this Netgear 1900 (R7000) and it has been a nightmare.  At first it was electric. I was getting 135 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. It was awesome, then slowly the log files started showing up with all sorts of DDOS attacks and SYS Flood, and derivities, etc.  I have a Comcast blast 150 Mbps.  I am now getting 3-5 MBPS download and 5-10 Upload.  I can't work from home.  I can't use NetFlix.  It's been a total headache for my professional tasks and my family experience.  It's really sad that a product is in the market that creates this grief.  $200 device!  Wow.  I made a mistake with buying it and now I am at the mercy of Netgear.  Support has told me to monitor for a day and get back to them.  Weak.  I have spent over 6 hours on this.  Which in my world is about $300 an hour.  Bad investment.

Perhaps this is a Comcast-Netgear combination issue.   I welcome any advice to fix it because Comcast and Netgear cannot. 

Model: Nighthawk 1900/Modem and Dual Wifi - Comcast Firmware Required.  

Message 33 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

Hi,

I'm also with Comcast on the same plan as you (Boston, MA) with the R7000//EX7000 and an Arris Surfboard SB6183 modem and it has been working flawlessly. Do you really think the Netgear router is responsible for the lower speed? If you are being DDdos'ed the R7000 is probably doing what it can, but your speed will of course be affected but find it hard to beleive you are constntly being attacked unless you are Hillarry Clinton or something very important! Smiley Happy

I do not understand what "Comcast Firmware Required" means. I purchased my Arris moden on Amazon, got it provisioned by Comcast on the phone, added the R7000/X7000 and off I went. The first two firmwares I ran on the R7000 were not perfect. I then tried a couple of thrid party firmwares but the wi-fi speed went down. Then back to stock firmware and now on the latest version from Netgeard it all runs smoothly. I get the speed advertised when I check on an ethernet connection. My wi-fi thtoughput is also great on both my Windows and Linux machines. Phones run well also. 

Have you checked the speed if you hook up directly to the modem (ethernet). Is it still that low? What about ethernet speed from the R7000 if itself? Maybe try another older router (if you have one laying around). I'm sorry you are having all these problems, but before we give the R7000 the death penalty you should make sure the routher is guilty as charged.

//CD
Message 34 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

cdysthe,

Thanks.   I purchased the modem/router combo.  So it is a Netgear modem and router all-in-one.  It appears that there is only one firmware, which means, I can only use whatever comast pushes to me.  I have comcast coming out tomorrow, because they think it is the physical line, but the line from the trunk is all brand new.  (From trunk to dwelling and within the dwelling.)  It should be interesting.  

I am wondering if there is some malware on the router or one of the connected devices.  I am going to kick all devices off this afternoon.  I had to wait it out over the weekend.

I will report back here on how that goes and what Comcast says during their site visit.  If we are still hurting (5 down 10 up wired and .05 and 10 up wireless as I type this), Netgear said they'll replace the device.  If I have to do that, I am considering, buying an arris surfboard modem only and returning the netgear hardware for a wifi router only like you have.  If Netgear will be so inclined for that type fo swap.

Thanks!

Message 35 of 38
Highlighted
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The modem combo is not a R7000..... you should start a new thread...... with the correct model number.

Message 36 of 38
Highlighted
Aspirant

You are correct.  C7000.  My bad.  Enjoy.  Go R7000!  C7000 unite!

Message 37 of 38
Highlighted
Luminary

You would be much better off with a r7000 and good cable modem. I have never settled for the combos my ISPs have offered and have never had problems
//CD
Message 38 of 38