Dropped Internet Connection on R7800

psam2000
Aspirant

Dropped Internet Connection on R7800

Set up Nighthawk R7800 using Mac desktop connected by ethernet. Used Mac to register account and update firmware. Mac internet connected to internet and working well. I then connected extender EX7000 and and other devices. I looked at my Mac and the internet connection had been dropped, however my Mac network dialog box stated that I was connected. All lights were appropriately working on my router. I rebooted the modem, router and desktop, no change. All other devices were connected to the internet and working well. I called Netgear support. He walked me through some trouble shooting. He did not ask me to default my router. He asked me to plug my Mac directly into the modem. I told him I had tried that prior but I still could not connect. However, I reconnected to the modem directly. After rebooting both the modem and the Mac I still could not connect to the internet. He told me I had a problem with my Mac and was of no further help. He proposed that I purchase a $100.00 support package. He said after the purchase he could fix the problem. I declined and terminated the call. I attempted to do further troubleshooting without success. A couple of days later I called Netgear support a 2nd time. He went through some trouble shooting after my insistence.. He could not solve my problem. I continued to trouble shoot. I decided to reset the modem to default. I used my laptop (wireless) to register. After the reset I was guided through another firmware update. After the update (i'm thinking the update was the same update previously installed) I found my Mac was able to connect to the internet. I was very happy. However, the next day my Mac was unable to connect to the internet. All other devices were working well. I plugged my mac into my old D-link modem. I was able to access the internet. I'm thinking that the Netgear router is modifying my internet interface with my Mac in such a way that the IP times out or eventually doesn't recognize my Mac. Time Warner/Spectrum is my IP.
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Dropped Internet Connection on R7800

What is the Mfr and model # of the ISP modem?  Built in router here by chance? 

Any other wifi neighbors near by? if so, how many?

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Set WPA2 and AES only.

Disable Beamforming and MIMO

What FW version did you update too? What was on the router before updating? 

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 2 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

Update - Worked with Apple Support.  Able to connect to internet on Mac desktop using wireless.  Still can't access internet using ethernet.  Apple suppot believes the IP has the fix.  The IP believes Apple has the fix.  Netgear believes that Apple has the fix. After varifying functionality of all cables, rebooting modem, modem and desktop, confirming correct IP address I can't access internet using ethernet. I had no connectivety issue with previous D-Link router (ethernet).  After upgrading to Netgear I have issue.

Message 3 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

Modem model: DCM-301, Not built in.  Netgear router and D-Link modem are standalone.  Neighbors: 15, The issue is not with WiFi.  I can connect all devices to internet through Wifi.  I can't connect Mac Pro to internet using ethernet, see Update.  Firmware updated to: V1.0.2.46.  I don't know what the firmware version was before I updated.

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the read out on the networking page on OSX for the ethernet adapter? Does it say it's connected? It will display a IP address if it's connected or say it's connected however it's not getting a IP address. 

Has any conflict IP address messages appeared on the mac? 

Does connected devices on the router show the Mac as being connected? 

Disable the ethernet on the Mac then re-enable it and test.

My Setup (Cable 1Gbps/50Mbps)>CAX80 v2.1.3.5(Router mode/LAG Disabled) & EX7700x2
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200CM2000, Orbi CBK40, CBR750, RBK953(v6.0.3.68) & XR450(v130), RBK853 v4.6.3.16(AP) & RBK752 v4.6.5.14, RBK50(v22), SXR30(v110), R7000(v34), R7800(v84), R7960P(v82), EX7500/EX7700, and WNHDE111
Message 5 of 15
pec967
Luminary

What does the R7800 show for the status of the Ethernet port (Login to Router->Advanced->Show Statistics)?  If the Mac works on Wi-Fi and not on Ethernet, the Ethernet cable is a likely place to look for a problem. How long is your existing Ethernet cable? You might want to try a new Ethernet cable (go with Cat 6 or 6a if you buy a new one). I have never had any problems, but my cable from the R7800 to my Eterhent switch is short. I have seen a handful of complaints from people on this forum who updated to an R7800 and then had Ethernet troubles that quality cables fixed.

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 6 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

I couldn't get Wifi on my Mac initially.  I learned from the Apple tech that I needed to unplug the ethernet from the Mac before attempting to go WIfi.  After removing the ethernet cable from the Mac and selecting Wifi my Mac connected to the Internet by Wifi.  I still unable to connect to the Internet using ethernet on my Mac.

Message 7 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

I changed out the existing 50' Cat 5 ethernet for a 50' Cat 6, between the router and the Mac. No change.  I will purchase a 8' Cat 6 to attempt a fix.

Message 8 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

Yes, the network page states, Connected.  The correct IP address is listed (per ISP, Apple and Netgear techs).  No conflict indications have appeared at any time. Yes, the router indicates a white light to indicate a connection.  I have changed to other ports on the router.  All ports indicated connection and disconnect appropriaely.  I enabled and disabled the ethernet port on my Mac.  I even attempted to use the ethernet port 2.  I'm going to connect my working Wifi laptop into the router by ethernet to see if the ethernet will work on the laptop.

Message 9 of 15
antinode
Guru

> Yes, the network page states, Connected.

Ok.  What else does it say?

> The correct IP address is listed (per ISP, Apple and Netgear techs).

Assuming that it's a private IP address, there's no reason to keep it
a secret.  What are all the parameters on that "Network" panel?  Is the
"Router:" address the LAN address of your R7800?

What about Network > Advanced... > TCP/IP?  Everything agrees?
Advanced... > DNS?  Advanced... > Hardware?

What, exactly, doesn't work?

Message 10 of 15
psam2000
Aspirant

I switched from Wifi to ethernet on my laptop to determine if the ethernet issue was common to all ethernet connections.  Both ethernet and Wifi work on my Mac laptop.  I used the same Cat 5 (10' lg) ethernet cable I was using on my Mac Pro. I connected my Mac Pro directly to the modem.  No internet.   I called the ISP again telling them I could not connect to the internet when my Mac Pro was connected directly to the modem.  The tech listened to my issue.  He pinged my modem. He stated that every thing was in order with my service and modem reception.  He suggested that I contact the tech support of of my modem -D-link. I called D-link.  The tech did what troubleshooting he could but said my modem was not accessable to him.  It is a simple model.  He suggested I reboot the modem by using the reset button.  I reset the modem but nothing has changed.  I'm thinking that I should buy a quality Netgear modem.  It appears that the modem is blocking my Mac.

Message 11 of 15
antinode
Guru

Aside from all the previous unanswered questions, ...

> [...] Both ethernet and Wifi work on my Mac laptop. [...]

> [...] I could not connect to the internet when my Mac Pro was
> connected directly to the modem. [...]

As I read this, everything works except your Mac Pro Ethernet
connection (to anything).

> [...] It appears that the modem is blocking my Mac.

Interesting logic.  To me, it appears that there's a problem with the
Mac Pro, not with the modem or the router, or the cables, or anything
else, all of which seem to work fine when they're not connected to the
Mac Pro.  Or am I missing something?

Please feel free to provide the previously requested Network
configuration from the Mac Pro, if you want any actual help.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend you take the Mac Book Pro to either a different location, like a friends or families place and see if the Mac Book Pro connects there. Maybe take the unit to a Apple store/shop and have them take a look at it. If the Laptop is not getting any internet via NG router or directly connected to the ISP modem, there is an issue with the ethernet port on the laptop and needs a tech to have a closer look. 

If other devices are working and this one Mac isn't, this unit needs to be looked at. 

@psam2000wrote:

I switched from Wifi to ethernet on my laptop to determine if the ethernet issue was common to all ethernet connections.  Both ethernet and Wifi work on my Mac laptop.  I used the same Cat 5 (10' lg) ethernet cable I was using on my Mac Pro. I connected my Mac Pro directly to the modem.  No internet.   I called the ISP again telling them I could not connect to the internet when my Mac Pro was connected directly to the modem.  The tech listened to my issue.  He pinged my modem. He stated that every thing was in order with my service and modem reception.  He suggested that I contact the tech support of of my modem -D-link. I called D-link.  The tech did what troubleshooting he could but said my modem was not accessable to him.  It is a simple model.  He suggested I reboot the modem by using the reset button.  I reset the modem but nothing has changed.  I'm thinking that I should buy a quality Netgear modem.  It appears that the modem is blocking my Mac.

Message 13 of 15
antinode
Guru

> If you are using ethernet on the Mac/PC, then you need to go into
> settings and disable wif, then reboot your Mac/PC.

In my experience on a MacBook, there's no need to reboot after
changing the active network interface.  I haven't tried it lately, but
I'd've bet a small sum that connecting with Ethernet would override a
wireless connection.  If you enjoy busywork, then feel free, but my
advice would be not to expect much improvement from a reboot.

> My Setup: [noise]

How, exactly, does that "information" help in this case?  Or was that
not your intent?

Message 14 of 15
antinode
Guru

> I recommend you take the Mac Book Pro to either a different location,
> [...]

Perhaps you should pay as much attention to the questioner's
equipment as you do to your own "My Setup:".  One would help more than
the other here.

> [...] Both ethernet and Wifi work on my Mac laptop. [...]

> [...] I connected my Mac Pro directly to the modem.  No internet.
> [...]

Where's the "Mac Book Pro"?  Having lifted a few Mac Pro systems
(2008-2010), I wouldn't ask anyone to take one anywhere, if I could

avoid it.

> [...] the router indicates a white light to indicate a connection.

Doesn't sound like a cable problem, either.

> [...] What are all the parameters on that "Network" panel? [...]

That's still what I'm waiting for.  No heavy lifting required.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E