FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

sygibson
Tutor

FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

ABSOLUTELY DO NOT USE FIRMWARE VERSION 1.0.4.28. 

It is completley BUSTED - and because Netgear only supports their prodduct for 90 days - you are pretty much guaranteed to be SCREWED if it goes south.  I happen to have a pretty good idea of how to salvage a device firmware failure - and also got lucky to get it back working ... with only WASTING 2 HOURS of my time.

I just spent 2 hours fighting with my Netgear Nighthawk R9000 and external Motorola MB8600 Ultra Fast DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem.  I upgraded from 1.0.4.26 to .28.  The upgrade went smoothly.  But on reboot of the WiFi router, no Internet connection was estabilshed.  I went through the usual pain of unplugging LAN ports and plugging them back in, powering off the WiFi router and back on.  Powering WiFi Off, Motorola Off, wait 1 minute, then Motorola on, wait 10 mins, then Wifi ON ... 3 times.

I gave up and connected my personal cellular hotspot, downloaded the 1.0.4.26 version, backrevved the WifI Router, then went through 3 more power off/wait/power on cycles before the WiFi router would finally acquire connection to ISP.

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION.

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Re: FATAL FIRMWARE UPGRADE ...... AVOID 1.0.4.28 version

@sygibson wrote:

ABSOLUTELY NOT SAFE FOR CONSUMPTION.

Does not seem to be a universal complaint.

Search - NETGEAR Communities – R9000 firmware

@sygibson wrote:

I happen to have a pretty good idea of how to salvage a device firmware failure

Does that knowledge stretch to doing  a factory reset when you hit a brick wall like this?

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

This is a nuisance because you then have to reconfigure the device all over again.

You can backup your settings before you reset and restore them later. But that may just bring back the fault. Then again, at least you will know if the reset fixed the problem.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 2 of 5
SanAndresMan
Aspirant

Applied this firmware, now my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are shattered - they are not broadcasting. Only the 60GHz band is working, but I won't be able to upgrade my wireless cards to 11 ad until a later date. This is frustrating because I have been instructed to return the product. I am not sure what any of that will do to fix this issue. Given the myriads of complaints about firmware problems I am not sure if it's even worth it. 

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5

@SanAndresMan wrote:

Applied this firmware, now my 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands are shattered - they are not broadcasting.

A couple of things to try.

Did you reset the router to factory settings after the firmware flash?

New firmware sometimes introduces changes that are not compatible with the old configuration.

So while it isn't guaranteed to fix problems a factory reset is the first thing to try if you have issues with new firmware.

If that fails, then you can  try older firmware.

If you visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

you can feed in the model number and find all the documentation for your hardware. There is also a library of firmware there. The release notes for each version will explain how to put it on to your device.

Good luck, you may need it.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

No such isues on about a dozen R9000 we're overseeing here an operating on this 1.0.4.28 version.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E