From Apple to Nighthawk...a step down?

Bdad
Follower

From Apple to Nighthawk...a step down?

Been using an Apple router for 3 years with few issues. Switched to the r7000 to improve range and get ready to start transitioning to the AC mode for higher speeds.

We have a 25mb connection and stream to 5 TV's; have a Plex server on the network for movies, run multiple PC's for business and gaming. Adapter's are all currently N300's and N600's. The apple produced speeds of ~270.

I flashed the R7000 firmware and did all my setup. Created regular and guest access with PW's. All PC's (and phones) except one were able to login. One PC using a Netgear DWA140 adapter wouldn't establish connection so I switched to a TPLink N600 which had no issues.

The issue at hand is dropping connection to the PC's. Can be fine and then drop connection 3-5x within a couple of minutes. Turned off QoS. Read the forum and checked to make sure I have everything configured correctly. I should also note that, like others, the Genie tells me I have a firmware update but I don't.

I opened a ticket with Support and still waiting for a response. Not sure I think the router is ready for prime time yet. Considering returning it and either getting a different AC unit or going back to the Apple.
Message 1 of 4
Lexist2112
Luminary

Re: From Apple to Nighthawk...a step down?

I tried Firmware Version 1.0.2.194 and found that my wireless clients had some issue in terms of low signal strength and dropped signals like yourself.I power cylced the router and clients and still did not help me. I rolled back to Firmware Version 1.0.2.164.

All wireless clients have been connecting a a solid connection just like before.

1) In your case make sure to have the latest drivers for all your wireless clients.
2) Try FW 1.0.2.164. Click here
-download to desktop and save and unzip

3) Save current config. you may or may not use this later
4) Push reset button for 15 sec to reset router to default settings
5) access the routers GUI page and "manually" install FW 1.0.2.164.and let the router
do it's thing.

6) re-access the router after flashing the FW and check to see it is FW 1.0.2.164.

7) Your choice........... you can manually reinput all your info (recommend) or upload saved config.

Give us a new review, personally this router has been working great in my home network.

Network list: Netgear r7000 is the main router, TWC 100/5mbps speed
1) 3 wired desktop
2) 8 port switch
3) 4 wireless bridges & 1 AP connected to bridge
4) 4 wireless cams
5) Xbox1, PS3, iPhone 5, Ipad 2, (2) wireless Laptops, wireless desktop, (2) wired connected AV receivers into (2) wireless bridges (DD-WRT)
6) Network printer that supports both wired and wireless simultaneously.
Message 2 of 4
Bdad
Follower

hardwired for the stepback or wireless transfer? I assume hardwired. I'll give it a try.
Message 3 of 4
Lexist2112
Luminary

Bdad wrote:
hardwired for the stepback or wireless transfer? I assume hardwired. I'll give it a try.

Always HARDWIRED!!!!!!!! Smiley Very Happy
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements