How do I extend my home Netgear WiFi network using an Apple Time Capsule

Jmcc772737
Aspirant

How do I extend my home Netgear WiFi network using an Apple Time Capsule

I was told by Apple Support that I would have to contact Netgear if I wanted to use my Apple Time Capsule to extend my Netgear Network as they don’t support such applications. They wanted me to disable the WiFi function on my nighthawk modem/router and make my Apple Time Capsule my primary “only WiFi base station” and use my AirPort Extreme to extend the Time Capsule” since I don’t know 🤷🏻‍♂️ any better I went along with the madness setting up my network this way having advised the Apple Tech I would contact Netgear once the network was established to disable the nighthawks WiFi. “THAT WAS UNTIL I GOT OFF THE PHONE AND PULLED A SPEED TEST AND THE NIGHTHAWK 5G network WAS PROVIDING DOWNLOAD SPEEDS OF 137 Mbps AND THE TIME CAPSULE 5G WAS A DISAPPOINTING 32 Mbps 🤨 I’m sorry I think I will NOT be Turing off the nighthawk WIFI but finding out how to use your crap to extend it before I pawn it off to someone on ebay. I hope the junk box will relay the same speed as an extender rather than a primary network. When I try to use it as an extender it throws an error message right away and will only allow me to create a new network. Thanks
Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
Jmcc772737
Aspirant

Re: How do I extend my home Netgear WiFi network using an Apple Time Capsule

My apologies I was unaware there was different models of the TC and the difference between models would make a difference on using it as an extender was a possibility or not. I find reading multiple forms it may in fact not be but all the same the box says “simultaneous dual-band 802-11AC WIFI with up to three times faster proformance than the 802-11n (compatible with a/b/g/n/ac enabled computers, networks, WiFi devices and a three gigabit Ethernet LAN PORTS. So I do believe the short answer would be “802.11AC” Time Capsule is what I am working with. Thanks
Message 2 of 3
Jmcc772737
Aspirant

Re: How do I extend my home Netgear WiFi network using an Apple Time Capsule

“Case850”
I want to thank you for the attention you are giving my post however, I can’t help but feel you are toying with me due to my lack of knowledge in this area. I am sorry if I am wrong and you are trying to help me but if you had told me in your reply that the TC AC can be used as an extender however the TV N can not that would have been helpful but to make me jump through hoops in an effort to provide additional useful information or to teach me how to decipher a firmware number to source the product model number I’m not sure that’s helpful. What I do know as just a bit of common sense is I don’t think on the box Apple would have put the verbiage “the AC model has much faster profomance than the N model on the box of the “N” model and expect their product to sell all that well and from what I can see they are doing pretty well.” Not that I agree with putting down their older model in an effort to promote the new one but I would only guess they know better than I and it shows. Looking at the box again and also Che King the firmware along with the utility app it is definitely an AC. So does that mean that it can or can not be used to extend the nighthawk? If it can will it repeat the nighthawks mbps? I also feel like something is just all together wrong with the TC -AC as the nighthawk sends out two networks one being a 5G and the other being 2.4 when choosing my connection manually the 5G will return on 5G 127 MBPS to 148 MBPS Speedtests however on 2.4 is returns 37 MBPS TO 46 MBPS Speedtests “The lower tests are the same speeds I am reviving when running the Speedtest on the 5G TC-AC” strange and just a coincidence I guess. “We have already checked the setting on the TC-AC it is running the 5G and it has not been disabled so that’s got nothing to do with it. If you want to add insult to injury when I plugged into the LAN port on the nighthawk the Speedtests came back at 119 MBPS in some cases lower then the results tested using WiFi (Happy about that but strange) the TC-AC when tested using the LAN connection only returned at best 57 MBPS! Extremely disappointed and frustrated I recently purchased the TC, Extreme & Express to Establish The Extention Of My Home Network “what a waste of time and money”
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 6E