Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to connect WD My Cloud 4TB to R9000 as my Plex Media Server

Luauprince
Aspirant

How to connect WD My Cloud 4TB to R9000 as my Plex Media Server

Hello all, I hoping someone can help me.  I am trying to connect my WD MY Cloud 4TB external hard drive to my R9000 router as my plex media server but everytime I type in my WD MY Cloud 4TB credentials I get the following error . I can access my WD MY Cloud 4TB fine over my LAN I just cant get it to connect as my plex media server

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: How to connect WD My Cloud 4TB to R9000 as my Plex Media Server

There might be other potential issues like a SMB protocol not matching, potential issues again with parsing username or password when using "special" characters (beyond of 0..9, a..z, A..Z). All these might lead to the similar misleading error message.

Repeating and reposting attachments does not help.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

What might look good to the human is cumbersome for correct parsing and encoding to create a mount. Start the troubleshooting with change in the shared folder name - use something without a space. Change the shared folder on the WD NAS to something like PlexMovies or Plex_Movies and re-do the mount attempt.

Message 2 of 9
Luauprince
Aspirant

The error I was getting was "Your router can't connect to your network drive because your network drive credentials are incorrect."  I know all my credentials are correct.   

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

There might be other potential issues like a SMB protocol not matching, potential issues again with parsing username or password when using "special" characters (beyond of 0..9, a..z, A..Z). All these might lead to the similar misleading error message.

Repeating and reposting attachments does not help.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Current v1.0.3.10 firmware in place by the way?

Message 5 of 9
Luauprince
Aspirant

Yes, I have current firmware.

I didn't mean to repeat or repost, I only did it because I didnt see my original attahcment go through

Message 6 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Ah, no worries.

Have played with a similar shared folder name, and applied some restrictions in the SMB protocol supported here on a SAMBA server. The R9000 (1.0.3.10) does nicely mount using SMB 1.0 ...

Spoiler

root@R9000:/# mount
//192.168.1.99/Plex\040Media on /tmp/mnt/NAS1 type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=ntlm,cache=strict,username=test,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.99,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)

...as well as SMB 2.1 if SMB 1.0 is not available.

Spoiler

root@R9000:/# mount

//192.168.1.99/Plex\040Media on /tmp/mnt/NAS1 type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=2.1,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,username=ks,domain=TVS-473,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.99,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverino,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,actimeo=1)

Do you have some restrictions in place on your WD NAS ie. for the min and/or max SMB version supported?

I've tried to gain access to the output or error caused by the mount attempt, but discovered the debug-log.zip is always corrupted on the firmware (pre-release) in place on my R9000 ... bugger.

PS. The attachment is part of the first post already, on the right tab:

community attachment.PNG

Message 7 of 9
Luauprince
Aspirant

So it was my password, it was to complex.  After I simplified my password I was able to connect to my NAS.  Now I'll see how solid this connection will be.  Thanks a bunch schumaku 

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Would you mind to share some details of the password complexity in place - length, special characters, special leading or trailng chars (ie. spaces, \, ", ',  ... you get the idea - I would love to push Netgear to remove the limitations you hit.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7