Jojo242
Tutor

How to fix R7800 Ping Issues

I recently bought the Nighthawk R7800 for Christmas but I came across an unusual problem.When I connect my router to my cable modem an do a speed test/ping test my ping is high compared to wen I use my other Linksys router. I normally play games such as cod but wen I play like black ops 3 my ping is on 50ms or above but wen I connect my ps4 hardwired to modem or my Linksys my ping is 16 or 32. Is there a setting I have to turn on or off to get my ping lower or is this a factory defect???? I've also tried factory resetting a few times an didn't work
Model: A6200|802.11ac Dual Band WiFi USB Adapter
Message 1 of 8
chascent
Luminary

Re: How to fix R7800 Ping Issues

I purchased an R7800 and ran for 2 weeks, no matter what firmware I used the bufferbloat on that router was terrible, F rating. I went back to my R8500 on DDWRT and get A+ rating on bufferbloat wired and wireless.

Another test is to open a DOS box and type: ping -t google.com

while that is running do a peed test and watch the time=xxms. When the download starts if the ping goes up thats bufferbloat that can affect streaming and games. On the R7800 it spikes to 800 ms, On the R8500 the highest it goes to is 55 ms. (It starts at 22ms).

Another proof that the R7800 is horrible for bufferbloat.

CC

Model: R7800|Nighthawk X4S AC2600 WiFi Router
Message 2 of 8
avtella
Prodigy

On LEDE (OpenWRT) I get lower latencies than even the R8500 on Dynamic QoS, LEDE has SQM QoS which is created by the people who created FQ_Codel it’s amazing, however I didn’t have too much of a problem with stock either, just not as good as OpenWRT. It’s definitely not a hardware issue, you might have run into some issue on stock firmware with the Streamboost QoS. Did you try adjusting the priorities of your devices?
Message 3 of 8
Jojo242
Tutor

I played around with the settings an I got the A+ bufferbloat .The algorithm seems to prefer the up an down speeds to be the same eg 5 up 5 down etc. Its just the base ping is lock in the 50s for me
Message 4 of 8
Killhippie
Prodigy

My down is 54Mbps and my up is 17Mbps my bufferbloat scores on DSL reports are A+ and on thinkbroadband A and B, so you cant say its the router itself, more a combination of things like different chipsets and your modem for instance or firmware can make a lot of difference too, the R7800 is Qualcomm the R8500 is Broadcom so thats a difference. Setting QoS if you have lower speeds like mine really helps. I have to say though ive always had good bufferbloat scores with my R7800.

Message 5 of 8
Jojo242
Tutor

I don't have that much speed to fully get a good A+ all the time plus Netflix users in my home take away my bandwidth. I have 50 down 6 up so not much wiggle room with the upload speed.Its just that when I do a speed test on DSL reports my ping is 55 ms an on my Linksys its 29/32 ms
Message 6 of 8
Jojo242
Tutor

I just played around in the QoS settings with manual speeds. I owned a netduma before an the algorithm for A+ is having your download speed double your upload eg 8mb down 4up or 5 up 10mbs down.It normally works for majority of people but with this Nighthawks x4s it balances out with the same up an down eg 4 up 4 dwn etc.I have a docsis 3 cable modem so if u have a cable modem u can try that...When u go on DSL reports an do a speed test does the nighthawk add more ping to testing?
Message 7 of 8
DmyTgregu
Aspirant

I have a very similar setup with a Netgear cm600 cable modem and have had issues with non ‘A’ bufferbloat. What speed do you chose for the symmetrical up and download cap? Something closer to the upload and you’re really limiting your download speeds. Something closer to your max download and it seems you may still suffer some bufferbloat.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements