Highlighted
Tutor

Inbound UDP Packets Being Dropped

I work for a gaming company called iRacing an we have an online racing simulator.

We have had a number of users reporting issues with Netgear Routers, specifically the wireless Nighthawk routers.  The users are able to connect to our servers, but shortly afterward, they will be disconnected.

We have been able to reproduce this on R7900 and R8000 Netgear routers.  It occurred on all versions of firmware for the routers that we tested.  We tested the earliest versions, a couple intermediate versions and the latest as of 8/23/2018.  Customers have reported this same behavior on the R8500 & R7000p.

This occurs when hardwired into the router or via Wifi.

In our testing, the problem manifests itself after about 4 minutes of being logged into the session.  After about 4 minutes, the iRacing client would stop seeing packets from the raceserver and would eventually disconnect.

In the packet captures we performed, we could see that the packets from the raceserver were making it through the internet, into the local network (the Edgerouter in the attached image), were being sent to the Netgear, but a corresponding packet capture on the PC running iRacing was not receiving the packets.  Meanwhile, the iRacing client was continuing to send packets to the raceserver and we can see that those are still being sent by the Netgear back out and to the race server.  There is one-way packet loss of all race server packets in the Netgear routers we tested.

We found two ways to definitively mitigate this.  The first was to put the router in Wireless AP mode.  This is only an option for our users if the router is already behind a firewall, as this mode essentially disabled the routing and firewall capability of the router.  The second was to put the PC into the router's DMZ.  Again, this is not ideal as this places the PC outside of the router's firewall.

We have also tried disabling the DDoS protection to no effect.  I have seen a few other posts about these routers erroneously detecting a "UDP Flood" and dropping packets.  Any suggestions on ways to mitigate this?  I am happy to provide the packet captures.

I use an R8000 at home and have it in the Wireless AP mode as well as an EX7000 range extender.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Inbound UDP Packets Being Dropped

Following up to note that this must be a firmware issue.  We have a couple customers that have reported that flashing the router with DD-WRT and they have no issues.  I checked with one of our race engineers and we can send anywhere from 20 to 60 UDP packets per second from the server to the customer.  Would love if someone could take a look.

Message 2 of 10
Highlighted
Initiate

Hi,

As per the OP this has had me investigating and changing all kinds of settings for a couple of months all to no avail. Unfortunately it’s forced me to go and purchase an Asus router which is working without fault.

For info and I don’t know if it helps but I had tried all port forwarding and QoS options all without success. When I looked at the database the router uses for QoS priorities it said the latest update was mid 2017? Not sure if there is a later update that’s not pulling through??
Model: R8000|Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Smart WIFI Router
Message 3 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have experienced the issues noted here as well. And like Dannyb85, I was also forced to purchase an Asus router. Luckily, I had my netgear router less than 2 weeks and was able to return it.
It's a real shame because I loved the range and power of the wifi signal.
I have no technical details to add as they were thoroughly covered in the first post.
My hope is that Netgear support proves the internet wrong and finds a solution.
Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 4 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I am also having these issues with iRacing. I have two R7000 routers, the primary one being for regular usage and a second one only for my home security system which is running wireless cameras and a DVR. I have tried messing with QoS settings and even swapping the routers out to see if the one I was using for my security system gave different results and it does not. If this issue cannot be fixed in a reasonable amount of time, I will have to buy a new router that is not Netgear, likely replacing both routers I own.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 10
Highlighted
Tutor

We had a user find a way around this problem by enabling the Traffic Meter option and then leaving it at No Limit.  The belief is that this disabled hardware accelleration / offloading of the packet routing, which then allows the traffic to flow correctly through the router.  Attached is the screenshot of the setting that the user enabled.  We are reaching out to Netgear engineers to see if there is any chance of this being resolved.

Model: R7900|Nighthawk X6 AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I ended up having to buy a new router. The dropped packets just became too much of a hassle. I bought an Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX and changed both my R7000s to AP mode, and I no longer have this problem

Message 7 of 10
Highlighted
Master

@Kaymann9 wrote:

I ended up having to buy a new router. The dropped packets just became too much of a hassle. I bought an Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX and changed both my R7000s to AP mode, and I no longer have this problem

Having had a EdgeRouter and now upgraded to the Gateway Pro4 your solution should just work. The r7000s in AP mode should just work and the  EdgeRouter will handle everything you want to send it. Great solution to a problem.

Probably get my hands slapped by  a certain forum member suggesting something other the Netgear just works. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 8 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

I hope that our comments do not get removed. While I did not want to have to buy another router and further complicate my network with extra hardware, I either had to buy two new high bandwidth wireless routers which would be at least $200 or more, or just by a $50 dollar router as a solution to my problem rather than wait for netgear to figure this out. Ive had packet drops in games and streaming netflix for years with these Netgear routers and figured it was just my ISP. But after having the ER-X, I have no drop outs. I couldnt beleive it at first that this also solved packet drops from other services and applications, I dont get drop outs in my home security cameras anymore either. I wish I was mistaken, but I thought my problem was limited to iRacing.

Message 9 of 10
Highlighted
Aspirant

@myersw wrote:

@Kaymann9 wrote:

Having had a EdgeRouter and now upgraded to the Gateway Pro4 your solution should just work. The r7000s in AP mode should just work and the  EdgeRouter will handle everything you want to send it. Great solution to a problem.

Probably get my hands slapped by  a certain forum member suggesting something other the Netgear just works. 

I hope that our comments do not get removed. While I did not want to have to buy another router and further complicate my network with extra hardware, I either had to buy two new high bandwidth wireless routers which would be at least $200 or more, or just by a $50 dollar router as a solution to my problem rather than wait for netgear to figure this out. Ive had packet drops in games and streaming netflix for years with these Netgear routers and figured it was just my ISP. But after having the ER-X, I have no drop outs. I couldnt beleive it at first that this also solved packet drops from other services and applications, I dont get drop outs in my home security cameras anymore either. I wish I was mistaken, but I thought my problem was limited to iRacing

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 11 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements