ScottyB45
Aspirant

Is the Netgear Nighthawk X10 VOIP capable????

Hi all,

Hoping for some advice.

New house build has fibre to the property which is great but has caused a few headaches with simple needs I have for my home business; one of which is basic telephony. Just got off the phone with my ISP who rekon the X10 does not support VOIP....quick google search not shedding much light and my Netgear support apparently now expired so thought I'd try the community as suggested. I can see a load of info on confirmed capabilities of earlier models but not keen to go "back", or worse still use the box standard router provided by my ISP.

Anyone have the definitive answer? Appreciate any contribution.

Scott.
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
myersw
Master

Re: Is the Netgear Nighthawk X10 VOIP capable????

By VOIP capable do you mean can you plug a phone into it? Short answer no. 

If you are using a VOIP service such as Ooma it should work just fine. 

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 15
ScottyB45
Aspirant

Hi Bill,
Thanks for getting back to me.
Yeah, I want to plug my Yealink W60 IP into the r. router. Is there any work around?
Thanks, Scott
Message 3 of 15
myersw
Master

Cannot answer as I know nothing about the device you are talking about. 

Does it just connect via an Ethernet cable? If so give it a try as I suspect there isn't anyone around here that can answer, although you might get lucky

Sorry.

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 4 of 15
ScottyB45
Aspirant

Hi Bill,
Yeah it uses an ethernet cable. Thanks anyway.
Scott.
Message 5 of 15
myersw
Master

In that case I suspect it should work. I would plug in and try. Sometimes venders give info that is not needed and confuses things. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 6 of 15
microchip8
Master

Telephone and ethernet cables are visually very similar but are not the same. Telephone cables have less pins than ethernet ones (and some have smaller base). Plugging in such a cable in an Ethernet port won't work

The X10 does not support VoIP

Routing: NETGEAR R7800 - Voxel Firmware 1.0.2.82.1SF
Switching: 2x NETGEAR 8-ports (GS108v4) / 1x NETGEAR 16-ports (JGS516v2)
Desktop: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - Server: Intel Core i7-7700K - NAS: Intel Pentium G4400 - Cruncher: Intel Core i5-7400
Message 7 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@microchip8 wrote:

The X10 does not support VoIP

Sure it does - even if it does not have POTS telephone ports. The Yealink W60 IP is Ethernet connected. Worth a try to disable the SIP ALG proxy on the R9000...

Message 8 of 15
myersw
Master

What is there to lose just plugging in the Yealink W60 IP and see if it works? Folks with things like Ooma that I know do not have issues. Then can move forward with issue or no issue. 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 9 of 15
ScottyB45
Aspirant

Hi Bill,
Yeah I've had a go. The Yealink W60b is designed to connect automatically through DHCP but there is the option of manual configuration as well.
The DHCP method appears to work as there is an LED in the base unit to indicate successful network integration, and I can also see the device has been allocated an IP in the network map contained in the Netgear companion app (genie).
I'm not really experienced in networking but have had a go at manual configuration myself using iCMD prompt "ip/all" but can't really see the device. Best I've been able to do is take the gateway address, sub mask, and primary DNS (which seems to be the same with any connection/device) and use the IP address that I can see is allocated in genie. I could not find any record of a secondary DNS.
Again this appears to result in a positive LED, but with both methods I cannot make/recieve a call.
I asked my ISP if I could just speak with a representative who really understands VOIP and networking because it seems their stance is based upon a lack of an installation procedure for the model, but surely the connection of any device is based on the same parameters?
They have given me a couple of different nighthawk models that do work but it's going to mean even more money for what is an inferior router. So frustrating as I just need Netgear to tell me yes or no but my tech support has expired, the best I could do was pose as a potential buyer checking on compatibility before purchase and they told me it WOULD work. There is also a current online article about the 7 best VOIP routers on the market, and the X10 is ranked 2nd! Got speaking with an online rep on the site and they say the same, it should work.
Currently nothing back from Yealink or whirlpool et. Al. Lodged a formal complaint with telco as I checked on multiple occasions that this phone would work and they assured me it would.
Apologies for the rant!
Scott.
Message 10 of 15
antinode
Guru

My VOIP expertise is nil, but...

> The DHCP method appears to work [...]

I'd quit there, rather than playing with a static-IP configuration.

> [...] but with both methods I cannot make/recieve a call.

"cannot" is not a useful problem description.  It does not say what
you did.  It does not say what happened when you did it.  As usual,
showing actual actions (commands) with their actual results (error
messages, LED indicators, ...) can be more helpful than vague
descriptions or interpretations.

If the gizmo itself says that it's happy with its network connection,
then I'd tend to believe it, and look elsewhere for the problem.  I know
nothing, but my quick Web search ("Yealink W60b") found a Quick Start
Guide:

https://3macae71618368hq3ytkqe1c-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Yealink-W60B-W56...

That mentions "Handset Registration" (and you don't).  (But what do I
know?)

Message 11 of 15
ScottyB45
Aspirant

Hi Bill,
Fair enough; so when I attempt to call the home number from my mobile/external landline I get the stock message "no one able to take your call from this number, leave a message", or words to that effect. When I attempt to make a call there is no dial tone (but then does VOIP have a dial tone?) And I get an immediate audio signal and the words "no active line" on the handset.
The registration process you mention relates to the effective pairing process between handset(s) and base unit, which in my case happened automatically and is visually confirmed by the handset and by another LED in the base unit.
Thanks,
Scott.
Message 12 of 15
myersw
Master

From my phone experience the dial tone comes from the local end. Just means the phone is ready to make a call. So I would look at the local box for an issue. Maybe not totally initialized with the VOIP phone service? The box is just there to proved then final end connection. I have a little different setup for land line, but still similar. I have Comcast VOIP phone  service. In my case the final hop is my modem where the phone line is plugged in and it provides the dial tone. . 

--Bill
Tesla > Edison
Message 13 of 15
malmlie
Aspirant

If you can actually find a representative from Netgear they would tell you it does.  However we have not been able to get our network up.  External calls work fine, but internal calls (to our other VOIP phones on our LAN) does not.  

Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router
Message 14 of 15
schumaku
Guru

@malmlie wrote:

However we have not been able to get our network up.  External calls work fine, but internal calls (to our other VOIP phones on our LAN) does not.  

R9000 Firmware?

No calls placed, or "just" no audio on IN-LAN calls - not sure what the router should destroy here btw.?

In house IPPBX, or external IPPBX service?

SIP ALG enabled or disabled?

Dial-tone can be locally generated, or IPPBX generated, ... 

More thoughts: A SIP call needs one or typically two RTP ports. Multiple SIP phones could require dedicated UDP ports for the RTP (voice) traffic.

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements