Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Aspirant

Netgear R6700 AC1750 slows down internet speed (gigabit, fios)

Hi,

I have gigabit connection via Fios. I did test it directly from the wall to my desktop and I was getting ~950Mbps. I connected using R6700 Nighthawk AC1750, and tested it again, and I am getting about 300Mbps (or lower). Both tests were done hardwired. 

I am not sure if this router cannot handle gigabit connection (I think it says it can in the description, but I am new to network). I tried resetting and changing MTU, nothing worked.

Here are some information:

Firware Version: V1.0.4.78_10.0.55

QoS: Disabled

Model: R6700|Nighthawk AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
Master

Re: Netgear R6700 AC1750 slows down internet speed (gigabit, fios)

You did not indicate if the test was over wireless or wired. If over wireless that maybe as good as you get. Would need to know the clients and what they are capable of. Just because you have say a 1 gig Internet connection does not equate to wireless seeing that speed. 

Article about what you can expect. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

--Bill
ISP Comcast, Modem-Netgear CM1150V, Router-Unifi Security Gateway-Pro4, AP-2 Unifi AP-LR
Tesla > Edison
Message 2 of 4
Highlighted
Aspirant

I indicated that both tests were done in hardwired, not wireless.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted

@jhagen92 wrote:

Hi,

I have gigabit connection via Fios.

Anything else on the network?

Any other "features" enabled?

QoS isn't the only traffic killer. Parental controls can also strain a router.

Firmware Version: V1.0.4.78_10.0.55 isn't for the R6700 V1. Looks like V3.

@jhagen92 wrote:

I am not sure if this router cannot handle gigabit connection (I think it says it can in the description, but I am new to network). I tried resetting and changing MTU, nothing worked.

It should. Internet speeds are leaving lesser routers behind. But I can't see why you have that big a hit. Tried different cables?

Have you tried different speed tests? There was one report here that the built-in tests can be hopelessly inaccurate. I usually try three or four at the same time.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 4 of 4