Announcements

Top Contributors
Highlighted
Guide

Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Our Fix - SOLVED

This is a post about slow download speeds on the R7000 router and how we solved the problem. If you want to skip directly to our fix, go to the third paragraph from the bottom of the post. If you want the background first, keep reading.

Like others, we've been having slow internet download speed issues with our R7000 router. These slow speeds are when we are connected by cable to the router with the wifi off on the computer and the router or if connected by wifi to the router - it doesn't matter. Our internet connection is rated at 300Mbps/30Mbps cable connection from Cox. When connecting through the router we would be lucky to get 120-160Mbps download but always 30Mbps up. When connecting directly through the cable modem (Motorola MB8600) we usually get our rated dowload speed and above.

All speed test numbers have been tested using not only the speed test software housed at the ISP, but also speed test sites on the internet. All speed tests confirm each other as they are within 10% of each other with, of course, the ISP's test showing the fastest. Regardless, the R7000 router always showed 120-160 down (sometimes even half that at times). There would naturally be slightly slower speeds during congested times during the day, but the R7000 would always be about 50% slower than if we were connected directly through the modem, bypassing the router.

Before getting to what we did with the router, here is everything else that was done to isolate any other potential problems. The ISP came out to the house multiple times. Network cables from the computer to the router and router to the modem were fine, but we replaced them with brand new CAT-7 cables anyway. Interior house coax cabling was fine and barrel connector were fine but connector replaced anyway. From the house to the tap, the cabling was fine. The tap checked out OK, but since it was old they replaced it anyway. The cabling from the tap to the post where cabling comes out of the street was fine, but they rebuilt the post anyway. The cabling in the street had one section that indicated some slight signal loss, so they replaced the cabling in the street. Back in the house, their test equipment was attached to the line ahead of our modem and regularly showed 315-330Mbs down and 31Mbps up. They reprovisioned our line at the central office, installed their modem on the coax, directly attached their modem to our computer and regularly got 300 or above on multiple occassions. They reprovisioned the line again, installed our modem on the coax, directly attached our modem to our computer and regularly got 300 or above on multiple occassions. Computer settings were checked to make sure everything was configured correctly and all unnecesary computer processes were stopped to make sure nothing was interfering. So, everything is OK on the ISP side and also with the computer and its cables.

After making sure everything else was OK, we shut everything off, connected the computer back to the router and the router back to the modem, let the modem boot up completely, then let the router boot up completely, then let the computer boot up completely. After making sure all unnecesary processes were stopped, new speed tests were run showing slow 120-160 download speeds. Multiple tests over the past month connected to the router, whether by direct cable with wifi off on the computer and router, or whether connected by wifi consistently showed the slower speeds from the ISP's speed test and multiple internet speed test sites. And multiple tests while bypassing the router and being directly connected to the modem regularly showed 300-350. So the router was definitely the issue.

Have we reset the router back to factory defaults? Yes. Have we been sure to download and install the latest firmware when it came out? Always - and there is where the problem is. We dutifully upgraded all the firmware releases up through the most current v1.09.18 (as of January, 2018).

After reading others' posts, a number of them have talked about downgrading the firmware. Some have said v1.09.06 worked for them (but their rated line speed was, if I recall, much less than our 300/30). Others have said they have downgraded to v1.03.24 that had solved their problems (in fact, one of those people had a line rated at 400/40). Still others said v1.07.12 solved their problem. Hmm, was this the answer?

After looking through old speed test results from October, 2017, we noticed that when we upgraded our line in October from 100/15 to 300/30, we also upgraded our R7000 firmware from the 1.07.xx series to the 1.09.xx series - and that 's when our problems began. All along we thought the issue came from the ISP, thinking they either had equipment problems or that they had mis-provisioned our line when we swithched to the faster plan. It turns out it was the firmware on the R7000 router.

FINALLY - HERE'S THE FIX. We factory reset the router once again, downloaded and installed the v1.07.12 firmware, then again factory reset the router, direct connected to the router before rebuilding all our old settings, kept wifi turned off - and now we are regularly getting 300-350Mbps download from the router. After rebuilding all our old settings, turning wifi back on and still staying connected directly to the router, we are still getting 300-350 downloads. Removing the direct cable connection to the router and using the wifi from the computer to the router we are regularly getting +/- 300Mbps downloads (of course depending on how close we are to the router).

So that's the simple fix. I suspect there is something lurking in the 1.09.xx series firmware that is not allowing the router to efficiently handle higher rated line speeds (if you are at 150Mbps rated dowload or below, I'm guessing you are OK). Some people might say our settings weren't correct in the router when using the v1.09.xx firmware releases. I don't think that's the case since we tried everything AND we also factory reset the router while still using the v1.09.18 firmware.

Hope this helps. This post was written January 10, 2018. The most recent firmware as of this date was v1.09.18, which caused us to have slow download speeds on the R7000 (much slower than our 300/30 line). If you're reading this after January, 2018, and you have slow speed issues with the router, and if the most current firmware is in the 1.09.xx series, I would suggest downgrading back to v1.07.12.

Model: R7000|Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Re: Netgear R7000 Slow Internet Speed - Our Fix - SOLVED

Nice write up. How do I find that older firmware? I have 200 Mbps but only achieve 92 tops direct connect to pc. If i bypass the r7000 and connect direct to the modem i get speeds well over 200Mbps consistantly. I want to try your fix see if it works. I can't watch movies without it buffering every 5 min. It is a pita and this should not be happening with my service.

Message 2 of 113
Highlighted
Guide

Hope it helps. Go to the download section for the R7000. On the right you will see a short list of files including the most recent firmware. Below the last file you will see a small icon. Clicking on that expands the list allows you to see the full list of files including all the previous firmware releases.

Reply back and let me know how it worked for you (by the way - be sure to write down all your settings because you will need to manually put them all back in afterwards; also, be sure you have the router's default login info as it will also erase any changes you have made to the password).
Message 3 of 113
Highlighted
Guide

UPDATE as of January 19, 2018: this solution still continues to work - consistently getting download speeds in the high 300's.

Message 4 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Just completed this procedure, restarted both the modem and the router after the last hard resest and it didn't work for me. It's actually a little worse, I'm getting about 60 down/10 up. The latest firmware gets me about 80 down/15 up but I just tried connecting my pc directly to the modem and was getting around 210 down/22 up, which is what i'm supposed to be getting. I may return the router as it seems none of the solutions I've found have worked.

Message 5 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

This completely worked for me, THANKS FOR DOING THE HOMEWORK!

My problem wasn't necessarily the download speed (I have a 1gb/1gb fiber conn), but the jitter and ping just to my router was 40ms and 50-150ms respectively. The older firmware is either less "inspectful" of the data or frankly less stable. Thanks again!

Message 6 of 113
Highlighted
Initiate

I recently upgraded my R7000 to the latest firmware Version 1.0.9.28 and I also experienced a severe drop in speed.  Got only 0.5 mbps download and 2.0 mbps upload!!!  Found this thread and downloaded my prior firmware version 1.0.9.14  (did not need to go down to 1.0.7.xx) and am now getting my normal 18 mbps down and 18 mbps upload.  

Message 7 of 113
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi All, 

A new firmware update is available. Please update the firmware to 1.0.9.32

https://kb.netgear.com/000059134/R7000-Firmware-Version-1-0-9-32

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 8 of 113
Highlighted
Initiate

So I was having this exact problem and was getting around 10Mbps download 10Mbps upload (should have been getting 300 down / 10 up). I updated the firmware to V1.0.9.32_10.2.34, but that didn't seem to work and was still getting slow speeds. I ended up factory resetting my router which then went with the same firmware version of V1.0.9.32_10.2.34 and now my speeds are back up to 300 (technically it was at 295 but that's close enough).

This was done on June 13th, 2018.

tl;dr - Latest firmware update (V1.0.9.32_10.2.34) now works, but you may need to factory reset the router for it to take.

Message 9 of 113
Highlighted
Initiate

I signed up to this, just to reply to this. I've had the SAME problems. Incredibly slow network speeds. A full factory restore with the latest firmware update (V1.0.9.32_10.2.34) at the time of this writing has finally given me real AC speeds.

I've been suffering at g level speeds. And was ready to trash can this router.

But I went from a TX rate of 54Mbps to 585Mbps.

Message 10 of 113
Highlighted
Luminary

I have absolutely no idea what kind of wizzzzzard has been the origin of 'going back to old versions' thinking. But I do'n consider it a good idea. I have had consistent speeds of over 600Mbps and more on WiFi with a 750Mbps connection. I always do a factory reset.

However once you tried to set QoS, you are out of luck with all versions it seems. The only way to get back speed is a factory reset.

Message 11 of 113
Highlighted

Why is my internet running at a snails pace? I purchased the expensive a$$ router thinking it was going to work! Why cant NetGear just come out with a fix for my R7000? I keep reading that I need to download an old firmware to make it work at fast speeds again??? REALLY!!! NETGEAR, GET YOUR **bleep** TOGETHER!

Message 12 of 113
Highlighted
Initiate

I upgraded from 24 Mbps to 180 Mbps today. I was getting 180 Mbps download through the modem, but only 24 Mbps plugged into the router.

The tech who installed the interner told me to buy a new router. However, I did not have to do that.

I did not have to factory reset and I did not have to downgrade the firmware. I am using firmware 1.0.9.34.

I logged into the router and disabled QoS. When saving the setting change, the router rebooted. After reboot I was getting 180 Mbps download. For me, turning off QoS was all that was needed.

Message 13 of 113
Highlighted
Guide

There are certain settings in the router that if activated will slow speeds. These are my observations after many hours of factory resets and tinkering:

My internet speeds test 250d/10u consistently right after a factory reset. The following settings I've noticed have affected my speeds:

After activating QoS, then my speed will drop down around 160ish. Even if I have turn it back off, the speeds are still low. The only way to fix the issue that I've found after activating it is to factory reset.

Disney Circle Parental Controls! When I turn on the Circle, then my speed drops to 205. When I turn it back off, it will go back up to 250. It will also cause my ping to go up slightly. This is repeatable and is very consistent. 

I'm sure there are others, but these are low hanging fruit. I think NETGEAR should provide warnings on these features that it will negatively effect speed and to use at your own risk.

Message 14 of 113
Highlighted
Aspirant

Disney Circle is what was slowing me down.  With it, I was getting wireless speeds of up to 170 Mbps.  Without it, I am seeing up to 610 Mbps, but typically 350 Mbps.  I am running V1.0.9.34.

Message 15 of 113
Tutor

@ralphzero wrote:

I recently upgraded my R7000 to the latest firmware Version 1.0.9.28 and I also experienced a severe drop in speed.  Got only 0.5 mbps download and 2.0 mbps upload!!!  Found this thread and downloaded my prior firmware version 1.0.9.14  (did not need to go down to 1.0.7.xx) and am now getting my normal 18 mbps down and 18 mbps upload.  

I too just flashed 1.0.9.14 and it fixed all the UPnP issues that were being masked by the router. Gaming is more stable, no drops from Ubisoft games anymore (dual PC and dual XBOX configuration using UPnP only started failing after we upgraded).

Thank goodness we don't have to go back all the way to 1.0.7.x, this version seems to be holding up just fine.

Message 16 of 113
Highlighted
Star

For those that upgraded their connection, but didn't see an increase until turning off QoS, did you bother to re-run the bandwidth tester? 

You probably ran it when you first setup the router the first time, but didn't re-run when your connection speed was increased, which is why your connection was restricted to the lower speeds of your previous connection rate.

Or do not all routers have the bandwidth tester under the QoS settings that my router has?

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 17 of 113
Highlighted
Star

P.S. I believe there is also an option under QoS to manually set your bandwidth limit if you don't want to run and/or trust the bandwidth speedtest function.

Model: R7000P|Nighthawk AC2300 Smart WiFi Router with MU-MIMO
Message 18 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Will this ever be updated?
FYI, I'm now on 4 straight days of trying to find a solution.
Have already had seperate cable lines run, and 3 technicians to the house from Comcast.
R7000 was super stable on a 150Mbps/5Mbps connection - stayed at 177-179 Mbps for months - both wireless 5G and wired.
Then, we upgrade to the 250/10 package and my speeds vary from 44 - 301 Mbps. All over the place.

Tried v1.07.12, 1.09.28, 1.09.34.
I factory reset, apply new FW, factory reset, update SSID and WiFi passwords, power off router (wait 5m) and power the router back on.

Some expert update to this guide would be most appreciated. Calling the R7000 a Gigabit router when it cannot support over ~150Mbps connections is a disgrace.

Message 19 of 113
Highlighted

Greetings,

1.0.9.34 works fine.  I posted a full write up on mine after upgrading at the end of last month with speedtest images showing full speed bandwidth across all interfaces. I was running 1.0.7.6 previously for almost 2 yrs.

I tried many of the 1.0.9.x variants (unsuccessfully) prior to .34. 

You don't have Traffic Meter or QoS enabled do you?  Disable if so as these have been known culprits of dowstream speed fluctuations. 

Are you having bandwidth issues on all interfaces, or just wireless?  

~Comcast 1 Gbps/50 Mbps SB8200 > R8000P
~R8000P FW:1.4.1.50 ~R7000 FW:1.0.9.42
~R6400 FW:1.0.1.52 ~Orbi-AC3000 FW:2.5.1.8
~EX3700 FW:1.0.0.78

Message 20 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Mostly WiFi. The wired connection still has some instability issues but it's between 300-350Mbps (not complaining).
The wireless - which again, used to precisely match wires within 1-2Mbps - is a mess.

I just redownload the 1.09.34 and reapplied (I always do manually) - and performed another factory reset and then a power cycle.

Traffic meter and QoS are not enabled post factory reset - and with my DL speeds, I don't think QoS is a necessity. Thank you for the reminder of the potential impact, though.

thanks for your help across these forums. I'm new here but, your name (and a few others) are all over the place.
Message 21 of 113
Highlighted

Thanks.  There are a good group of people here who like me enjoy helping others.  

Ok, so we seem to have the wired interface performing at an acceptable level.

I was able to break the wireless performance on the R7000 running 1.0.9.34.  So with some trial and error I was able to gain stability. 

Do you have an Android device?  The Wi-Fi Analytics in Genie for Android or Wi Fi Analyzer App available in the Play Store from FarProc are both helpful for performance tuning wireless.

I do not recommend using SmartConnect.  Use separate SSIDs for 2.4/5Ghz.

Optimal channels for 2.4 are 1, 6, and 11.  However, your neighbors or other interference might mean you have to use another for best channel separation and performance.  One of the Apps above can be very helpful letting you see what is broadcasting around you.

When you make a channel change and save, only the wireless radios restart. I suggest gracefully restarting the router and the wireless device you are testing with before performing another test.  Time comsuming but I found this is more accurate and pays off in the end.

I use 161 for 5Ghz, but thats because the other borodcasts in my vicinity were all 44-153.  I also use Mu-MIMO, Airtime Fairness and Implicit Beamforming under Advanced > Wireless settings.

Try my above suggestions with the restarts (router and wireless device) and let us know your results.  

Message 22 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Thanks again - I see beamforming and airtime fairness defaults enabled - but I can't find MU-MIMO setting anywhere. Even a Google search is failing me for locating an associated setting.
Message 23 of 113
Highlighted

Sorry, I might be thinking about my 8000P.  I'm in and out of several versions of FW recently. 

One more thing for you to read.  My brief explanation of channel separation, optimization and how it affects Wi-Fi performance

Message 24 of 113
Highlighted
Star

Thanks again for all the help. It seems I'll just have to 'deal'. I've tried 3 different channels for each band, with no other scanned devices on those channels. I've reviewed the channels again, as speeds drop. The 2.4 band has always been unimpressive on our R7000 - but this is the first time the 5ghz band didn't match wired speeds. I've tried three different, unused channels - soft resets, hard resets, factory reset, multiple flashes of the newest FW. The speed is always great, immediately following hard reset - and within about 30 minutes or so it begins dropping. Then it fluctuates in a range between ~75Mbps and ~220.

I appreciate the help.

I may just have to look at another router with known history of multiple console support.
Message 25 of 113